Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Dh working chol hamoed
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 20 2021, 10:50 pm
My dh will be working on chol hamoed. I am so upset. His boss is jewish, never gives off legal holidays, erev yom tov...he has off the actual days of yom tov that one cannot halachikly drive/work. This year thats pretty much shbs and Sunday. Jusy venting

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Mar 20 2021, 10:53 pm
Sorry to hear that OP. If it helps you to know, a lot of us are in this boat. At least this year I will get one day of chol hamoed off on Good Friday.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 20 2021, 11:06 pm
I am thankful he has a job bH. I hate watching him being taken advantage of that he works EVERY single day besides shbs and sunday. Just venting to you instead of making him feel worse abt the situation

amother
Mint

Post Sat, Mar 20 2021, 11:11 pm
Same here. And I already warned him he cannot work until 5:30 on erev yom tov - I don't care what "crisis" is going on

amother
Mauve

Post Sat, Mar 20 2021, 11:48 pm
I have to work on chol hamoed too and erev and every day that you are allowed to drive a car lol. Jewish boss too

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Mar 20 2021, 11:54 pm
I work for a Jewish boss and have work chol hamoed, too

amother
Azure

Post Sat, Mar 20 2021, 11:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I am thankful he has a job bH. I hate watching him being taken advantage of that he works EVERY single day besides shbs and sunday. Just venting to you instead of making him feel worse abt the situation

Does he have vacation days at all?
Most full time workers work 5 days a week- except shabbos and Sunday. (I understand it's a vent, I'm just clarifying in case you didn't know that)

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 12:00 am
Maybe he can work towards a job with a more flexible schedule. Or negotiate with his boss. It’s too late for now but if he has value to the business he should be able to find a more family friendly environment. Working both legal holidays and chol hamoed feels excessive to me. Although I know some people have to do it.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 12:05 am
To the patronizing poster above me- most full time workers get sick days, and/or personal days. And legal holidays. The only people I know that work both legal holidays and chol hamoed are grocery workers and managers and the ones I know get a nice bonus and overtime for that. They also have vacation days they can take another time.

That being said- my job is super high stress especially around yt and I’m just grateful for a job, doesn’t mean I’m not aware and allowed to vent about it’s unique challenges.

HonesttoGod

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 12:13 am
I worked for a frum boss and also had to work chol Hamoed. And I used to work legal holidays if I could to make up for extra days I took off for my kids. Sucks.

amother
Azure

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 12:17 am
amother [ Turquoise ] wrote:
To the patronizing poster above me- most full time workers get sick days, and/or personal days. And legal holidays. The only people I know that work both legal holidays and chol hamoed are grocery workers and managers and the ones I know get a nice bonus and overtime for that. They also have vacation days they can take another time.

That being said- my job is super high stress especially around yt and I’m just grateful for a job, doesn’t mean I’m not aware and allowed to vent about it’s unique challenges.

Am I the patronizing poster?

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 12:41 am
Does it make u feel better if I tell u dh has been a student for 6+ years. Bh working toward a prestigious degree. But for now - zero income AND at school/internship every single day incl erev everything, fast days, purim etc

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 12:44 am
amother [ Azure ] wrote:
I work for a Jewish boss and have work chol hamoed, too

Same Sad

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 12:45 am
I think it is a little strange that frum bosses are insisting on people working chol hamoed but honestly that is how it works in the real world. It sucks but it is reality.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 12:52 am
I also used to work every single day except Saturday and Sunday. Think erev pesach day, shushan Purim, erev yk, tisha b’av, chol hamoed etc. it felt like I was the only one. It’s really really hard. We weren’t allowed to use PTO for those days.
Thankfully I was able to get out of that situation but we now have a lot less money. I’m often unsure if the trade off was worth it.

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 1:06 am
I’m wondering what business these frum bosses have?
I thought there was halachos against working chol hamoed unless necessary.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 1:09 am
I think parents who work on chol hamoed should try to take off ONE day so they can
do a family chol hamoed outing.

In my for job, (Jewish Office) we co-ordinated so that we were not all taking off the same
day, but everyone took off one of chol hamoed to be with their family.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 1:19 am
My DH has Jewish and non Jewish employees. He cannot treat them differently and he cannot afford to close his business for 10 days. Anyone can use PTO whenever they want.

I never worked for a Jewish employer. I always had to use PTO for yom tov and any other time I wanted off. That's how life works.

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 2:11 am
I give notice that I will be out of town for all of yom tov. Whether I will or won’t be is non of boss’ business.
(Also whenever I ended up going in, it turned out to be unimportant and could’ve been taken care of another time, so I guess after being taken advantage of like that, I put my foot down.)
I also always wonder why B&H and other big businesses can afford to be 100% closed for yom tov, (with huge losses), but my boss with 5 employees can’t juggle it for these few days alone, (when it just about convenience.)

ETA: I realized I needed to do this when I thought about why I work.
I work so my family can have a nice life that we can enjoy together.
What good is my job if I am never off to enjoy my family?
I take the week off even if I don't get paid.
If my boss wants me gone because of it, there will always be a new opportunity elsewhere.

Rappel

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 2:21 am
I feel you, OP.

DH works chag and Shabbat. Vacation on chol hamoed isn't even on the table. It's pikuach nefesh, so it's important... But still, I wish we didn't have to.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics