Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Salary - Accountant (Tax)

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 20 2021, 8:46 pm
So I’ve been working for same employer for 15 yrs since graduating school and getting my CPA. Never looked elsewhere since location was so convenient, but it’s time to leave as my FRUM boss is just so mean when it comes to pesach/tax season.

I know I’m underpaid, but need to know by how much so can negotiate during job search. Every time my salary comes up, he keeps saying “how I’m paid more then others in comparable sized firms etc..” and gives me a small raise begrudgingly.

So does anyone have any idea what someone with my level of experience (manager level) should be making at midsize firms? Am thinking $125-150k (175 at big places) but would love to get input from others.

I interviewed at larger firms like BDO and BakerTilly, but it seems that my skill set developed at a smaller firm won’t transfer over to a comparable level.

amother
Apricot

Post Sat, Mar 20 2021, 8:55 pm
Where do you live?

amother
Powderblue

Post Sat, Mar 20 2021, 9:09 pm
Looking to change jobs too. Senior accountant?
How much can one ask for NYC. Great prior experience too.

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Mar 20 2021, 9:19 pm
Go on glassdoor.com

amother
OP

Post Sat, Mar 20 2021, 9:22 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
Go on glassdoor.com

Checked, but looking for more reliable information.

STovah

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 6:22 am
The $125-175 range you quoted looks right but the small firms are more likely at the the $100-$125 range. It is hard to break into the midsize firms at that level with only small firm experience, unless your small firm experience was focused in a specific industry. There are always exceptions but this is what I’ve seen as the norm.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 6:28 am
How much can u ask for when u have 3 yrs experience? Senior level
Coming from big firm

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 6:39 am
STovah wrote:
The $125-175 range you quoted looks right but the small firms are more likely at the the $100-$125 range. It is hard to break into the midsize firms at that level with only small firm experience, unless your small firm experience was focused in a specific industry. There are always exceptions but this is what I’ve seen as the norm.

That is my experience as well when attempting to move to the large firms. However, the mid size places all seem interested in my skill set, most notably being a generalist.

Do you consider a 75-100 person firm small? Am focusing my job search on the 50-150 size, and their offers are settling in the $115k range after opening with $100k for tax manager position.

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 7:54 am
Similar position but in financial accounting. 8 years full time plus and didn’t hit 100k yet. Convenient but horrible management so I’m looking to leave. I also think I can be making more... how much can I ask for? I’m in NY

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 10:46 am
Accounting is one of those career s that either you can make 60k your whole like or you can make 500k+ as a partner in an international firm. What's going to make the difference is the effort, commitment, quality of your work, reliability. Big 4 accounting firms do not pay well for the amount of work you do but you can consider it 'residency' meaning it opens up opportunities you would otherwise never have. After 3 years at Delloit my husband was making about 75k as a senior 2. In corporate accounting now he's making about 120k (4 years as an accountant/cpa). So that was about a 40k+ raise going into corporate.

From what I can see, many women have to sacrifice the better paying jobs because like law, accounting requires looooooooong hours and dedication to make the big bucks.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 11:11 am
$115k sounds right to me for a small firm (yes 75-100 is small). How big is the your current company?
Is it possible for you to see the next job as a stepping stone to get you the experience that would make you more marketable to a mid size firm which will likely pay more than the small firms?
As a pp said, accounting is one of those fields where the salary range is HUGE and the range is not necessarily consistent with skills and experience, there's a lot of luck involved.

amother
Salmon

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 11:18 am
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:
Accounting is one of those career s that either you can make 60k your whole like or you can make 500k+ as a partner in an international firm. What's going to make the difference is the effort, commitment, quality of your work, reliability. Big 4 accounting firms do not pay well for the amount of work you do but you can consider it 'residency' meaning it opens up opportunities you would otherwise never have. After 3 years at Delloit my husband was making about 75k as a senior 2. In corporate accounting now he's making about 120k (4 years as an accountant/cpa). So that was about a 40k+ raise going into corporate.

From what I can see, many women have to sacrifice the better paying jobs because like law, accounting requires looooooooong hours and dedication to make the big bucks.

I actually disagree with the view on big 4 public accounting. The initial raise when you switch to private is huge but in the long run you generally get larger raises and bonuses in public accounting unless you happen to work your way up to CFO somewhere or the like. Many private corporate positions are stagnate without a lot of room for growth. Most of my friends/colleagues leave public accounting for the work life benefits not for the long term salary.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 1:07 pm
amother [ Lavender ] wrote:

Moving to a big firm now like BDO will entail a significant pay cut.

My DH has for years been telling me to go into private/controller, explaining how I can make more money and work less hrs (especially during tax season). But sadly I enjoy tax.

Many women do sacrifice their careers as they have other responsibilities limiting their hours. But that is not my situation as DH is able to handle all.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 1:13 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
$115k sounds right to me for a small firm (yes 75-100 is small). How big is the your current company?

Is it possible for you to see the next job as a stepping stone to get you the experience that would make you more marketable to a mid size firm which will likely pay more than the small firms?

As a pp said, accounting is one of those fields where the salary range is HUGE and the range is not necessarily consistent with skills and experience, there's a lot of luck involved.

5-15 person, so was open to moving to 50-150 firm thinking that it was midsize. Can you give me some examples mid size firms?

Planning on doing that but realistically wouldn’t. I did stay at firm #1 for 15 years no matter how bad it was. Once I plant roots, I don’t budge.

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 9:21 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
5-15 person, so was open to moving to 50-150 firm thinking that it was midsize. Can you give me some examples mid size firms?

Planning on doing that but realistically wouldn’t. I did stay at firm #1 for 15 years no matter how bad it was. Once I plant roots, I don’t budge.

I would consider places like PKF Oconnor Davies, Marks Paneth to be midsize but salaries wouldn't be that different from someplace bigger like BDO. If an offer from BDO would mean a significant paycut then you're either not being underpaid currently or your experience doesn't match what you'd have gotten in a mid/big firm so they're putting you back a few levels.

dak11

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 9:42 am
I think the pay at a CPA firm ends up being capped.
If you can get a controller role at fast growing company you'd do much better pay wise.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 9:52 am
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I would consider places like PKF Oconnor Davies, Marks Paneth to be midsize but salaries wouldn't be that different from someplace bigger like BDO. If an offer from BDO would mean a significant paycut then you're either not being underpaid currently or your experience doesn't match what you'd have gotten in a mid/big firm so they're putting you back a few levels.

It’s the latter, though they’re still very interested in me. This is based on info heard from other senior partners thru the grapevine. Was told by HR that it would take “years” to get to the salary range I’m looking for.

Every place I interviewed at made near immediate offers, with smaller firms and those that focus on tax offering more. Of course taking these better offers pigeonholes me further in terms of career.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 9:56 am
dak11 wrote:
I think the pay at a CPA firm ends up being capped.
If you can get a controller role at fast growing company you'd do much better pay wise.

I can’t comment on controller salary but pay at CPA firms are not capped even if your position has a hit a ceiling.

The most recent ones I interacted with offer an annual pay raise of 4-8%, with bonuses equal to that amount not counting 401k firm contributions.

amother
Lavender

Post Tue, Mar 23 2021, 10:14 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Moving to a big firm now like BDO will entail a significant pay cut.

As I said the big firms don't pay well. But they will make you more marketable. You will be getting hit up by recruiters all the time.

My DH has for years been telling me to go into private/controller, explaining how I can make more money and work less hrs (especially during tax season). But sadly I enjoy tax.

This is true. Initially audit pays less than tax but it allows for more opportunities down the line in corporate. Another way you can make big bucks with tax is opening your own or becoming partner in a small firm.

Many women do sacrifice their careers as they have other responsibilities limiting their hours. But that is not my situation as DH is able to handle all.

Nice. Glad that works for you.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics