Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Tie dye
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:47 pm
Hi,

I'm not a fashion designer but I like pretty things. I buy classy or trendy clothing depending on my mood.
I appreciate good design, designs that are pretty to look at.

What is pretty about tie dyed clothing? I think it's a mess. It's just so not appealing to look at.
Why would you buy it for yourself over a different top? because you think it's pretty or for other reasons I.e. camouflages weight or stains, you like the material so don't care if it's not pretty etc.

Just wondering.

dancingqueen

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:52 pm
I think a lot of people do think it looks nice, myself included.

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:56 pm
I love the way tie dye looks! It's about personal tastes.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 21 2021, 11:59 pm
got it, thanks for clarifying!

amother
Lavender

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 12:27 am
I think it's pretty, though not with every color combination and design. There are some that look more messy and others that have beautiful colors and look artistic.

HeartyAppetite

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 1:30 am
It looks like a piece of art! It’s so fun and cute!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:18 am
That's so amazing to read!
Hashem created a colorful world!

Thanks for replying!

bigsis144

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:38 am
Cuz I can make some darn pretty tie dye, if I may say so myself!

I do it with my kids every summer, so I’ve got years of practice by now.

I do find that the wilder colors and patterns work better for kids; I tend to go for more subtle watercolor-like patterns for myself, though still in vibrant colors. Spirals or stripes end up making me look like a hippie or a camp counselor... and you just have to watch out that you don’t accidentally put emphasis on an unflattering area... it’s easier just to do a pretty mottled effect for myself.

But I go ALL OUT for the kids.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:51 am
OMG!!!
It is gorgeous!
Now show me something you made for yourself.

#Happymom

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:54 am
bigsis144 wrote:
Cuz I can make some darn pretty tie dye, if I may say so myself!

I do it with my kids every summer, so I’ve got years of practice by now.

I do find that the wilder colors and patterns work better for kids; I tend to go for more subtle watercolor-like patterns for myself, though still in vibrant colors. Spirals or stripes end up making me look like a hippie or a camp counselor... and you just have to watch out that you don’t accidentally put emphasis on an unflattering area... it’s easier just to do a pretty mottled effect for myself.

But I go ALL OUT for the kids.

You are SO cool!!
Are you taking orders?? 😊😊
And yes, please show us what you've made for yourself!!
Is it hard to do?

bigsis144

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 3:11 am
#Happymom wrote:
You are SO cool!!
Are you taking orders?? 😊😊
And yes, please show us what you've made for yourself!!
Is it hard to do?

Thanks 🥰

I really do enjoy it! It’s not that hard to pick up, though it takes some patience and a little bit of being able to visualize what the final product will look like when you do the twisting and tying before the dyeing. You can certainly make very cute things on your first try. I have taught a few tie dye workshops at day camps for elementary age kids.

I’ll have to dig up some more photos, I don’t have them stored on my phone right now.

As for taking orders, I’ve never had an Etsy store or the like, but I have considered advertising somehow and doing custom tie dye jobs. For now, I just make for my kids and my siblings and nieces and nephews. I’ve made onesies and dresses and pillowcases/bedsheets and tshirts and baseball caps and aprons...

bigsis144

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 3:16 am

This is an old photo, but you can see how I’m in the same color scheme as my boys without being overly “tie dye”-ish.

ETA: thank you @singleagain for the photo doctoring, allowing this photo to stay up 😁

Last edited by bigsis144 on Mon, Mar 22 2021, 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total

twizzlers1

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 3:26 am
Love it! I've done it with my kids too but they don't turn out nearly as nice as your things.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 3:27 am
They are awesome!
Those little guys....so so cute!

DrMom

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 3:33 am
It's an artistic, fun activity to do with kids, and the resulting items are practical for knocking around the house or playing outside.

I prefer the bolder patterns with strong colors.
The mottled, pastel patterns look like you accidentally washed your white tee with the colored laundry.

I also like actual patterns (starburst, alternating bands of color, ombres, etc.) to random blotches.

#Happymom

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 4:41 am
Bigsis, you are amazing!!!

I love your boys shirts, I would so buy them in a pink version for my girls😁😁
Lmk when you get an etsy shop going!! I need size 2 and 4T😁😁

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 6:33 am
As someone who used to follow the Grateful Dead, I have quite a few tie dye items, and later on I learned how to do it myself.

I take old shells that have gotten faded or pilled, and then turn them into something bright and beautiful. I wear them around the house, and when I'm gardening.

Where I live I'd be stared at a LOT if I wore them out to run errands, but in my own home they make me feel really happy.

(I hate doing dishes, so last night I put on some Grateful Dead music, and the kitchen was clean before I knew it.) https://liquidblue.com/music/r.....hirt/

Janie Asne

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 7:03 am
I love tie dye! I think it’s beautiful!

amother
Royalblue

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 7:07 am
bigsis you are so talented you could make a bundle and a real name for yourself selling those custom hand made artisan tie dye dresses.
hatzlocha!

avrahamama

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 8:11 am
I love tie dye. All my newborn and toddlers onesies that have those yellow poop stains get tie dyed. lol
It looks adorable on my babies.

I have also taken stained shirts and tie dyed them for myself as well. They look artistic and summery and get tons of compliments.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics