Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Looking to move to Los Angeles.. Any Advice?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 2:45 pm
Hi! DH and I are working really hard to relocate to west coast. very early stages, we both still need to find jobs. any advice or recommendations on housing, communities, shuls, etc? We are frum modern (not really sure how to define it). Currently live in tri-state area and have both lived here our whole lives

amother
Yellow

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 3:02 pm
Why are you moving, if you don't have jobs lined up and don't have family there? (Not being snarky, genuinely curious.)

Housing costs are very high, even as compared to big cities on the east coast. Be prepared.

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 3:06 pm
Since you asked we know many in LA who while they like their communities and have family there are looking to move out based on housing prices, state regulations and government and more.

amother
Ivory

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 3:12 pm
Why are you looking at LA specifically and what are you looking for in a community? If you give us a better idea of what you want, we can more easily help guide you on where to find it.

tichellady

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 3:51 pm
Happy to help if you share more about what you are looking for. LA is a nice place to live

gande

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 4:33 pm
there is a thread about this from a few weeks ago.

essie14

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 5:06 pm
People are moving out of California in droves. I would consider a different state if I were you.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 5:15 pm
Los Angeles is a great place to live - people are not moving out in droves. LOL If they were real estate wouldn't be so expensive.

The cost of real estate - especially in the frum neighborhoods is really the drawback. Housing is probably equivalent in pricing to New York City. If you have the income to afford it, then why not. There is nothing like sitting outside drinking my cappuccino on a beautiful day in February to make me realize why people want to live here.

amother
Purple

Post Mon, Mar 22 2021, 7:09 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi! DH and I are working really hard to relocate to west coast. very early stages, we both still need to find jobs. any advice or recommendations on housing, communities, shuls, etc? We are frum modern (not really sure how to define it). Currently live in tri-state area and have both lived here our whole lives

Maybe consider Texas? Or Florida? I'm telling you, it's crazy here.

1) Highest taxes in the country, income and gas and sales.

2) Houses are at LEAST 1.5M, property taxes are 1.25% of that. In the valley, you might get a bargain and a house might be MAYBE $800k, but most are more. And I'm talking basic housing, not huge properties.

Pico is more expensive per foot than La Brea area, which is more expensive than the Valley. If you want further out, like Tarzana, Agoura Hills, you'll have a much tinier community, and a much bigger commute. About an hour out from all the schools.

3) Renting a house is $5000 a month. Duplexes are almost that. Water prices are very high here, so apartments may go for $2600, but keep in mind your water bill might be $500 a month.

4) Tuitions are about $24,000 a kid, with all fees included.

There is no section 8 housing, Medi-Cal (our version of Medicaid) isn't accepted by most hospitals and doctors, and the poverty line is marked as really low so that most people don't qualify for anything.

If you have oodles of cash, then feel free to come! Our communities are loving and warm, and our weather is great.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 7:40 pm
amother Purple wrote:
Maybe consider Texas? Or Florida? I'm telling you, it's crazy here.

1) Highest taxes in the country, income and gas and sales.

2) Houses are at LEAST 1.5M, property taxes are 1.25% of that. In the valley, you might get a bargain and a house might be MAYBE $800k, but most are more. And I'm talking basic housing, not huge properties.

Pico is more expensive per foot than La Brea area, which is more expensive than the Valley. If you want further out, like Tarzana, Agoura Hills, you'll have a much tinier community, and a much bigger commute. About an hour out from all the schools.

3) Renting a house is $5000 a month. Duplexes are almost that. Water prices are very high here, so apartments may go for $2600, but keep in mind your water bill might be $500 a month.

4) Tuitions are about $24,000 a kid, with all fees included.

There is no section 8 housing, Medi-Cal (our version of Medicaid) isn't accepted by most hospitals and doctors, and the poverty line is marked as really low so that most people don't qualify for anything.

If you have oodles of cash, then feel free to come! Our communities are loving and warm, and our weather is great.

Hi! Bumping this thread to ask a question..
Do the schools not offer any financial assistance for tuition?
Is it really 24k?

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 8:06 pm
Depending on the school and on your income. Modern orthodox schools are way more expensive then yeshivish ones.

tichellady

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 9:32 pm
yes the schools offer financial assistance and many people receive it

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 10:15 pm
amother Maize wrote:
Depending on the school and on your income. Modern orthodox schools are way more expensive then yeshivish ones.

Toras emes, emek

Realistically, how much is tuition with aid?

amother
Pewter

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 10:27 pm
My advice would be : “don’t”.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 10:29 pm
amother Bottlebrush wrote:
Toras emes, emek

Realistically, how much is tuition with aid?

6-12,000

amother
Maize

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 11:45 pm
Those are two VERY different schools...

amother
DarkMagenta

Post Mon, Jan 02 2023, 11:53 pm
There are, I believe, almost automatic deductions if you work in the schools or are in a kollel..

LA is super expensive. I am an LAer and I don’t understand how my friends can live there. Bli ayin hara.

Besides for the expense, you need to know that the pritzus in LA (billboards and people) is off the charts

mazeltov613

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 12:06 pm
We like living in LA overall. The homeless situation has really gotten bad. The cost of living is expensive.
However I do appreciate the chinuch here tremendously. The schools are phenomenal and I wouldn’t consider moving because of that. Also there are “out of town” values that I’m happy I’m raising my children with. We don’t have the same shopping options as the east coast, which by definition means there’s less to want and need. We make do with what we have and there’s less materialistic pressures.
Happy to answer any more specific questions you may have OP!

amother
Crystal

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 12:10 pm
You might want to look into Las Vegas if you are looking for warmer weather. It's considerably cheaper..

amother
Impatiens

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 12:26 pm
financial aid depends on your financial situation. my in laws paid $10k a year per kid and I think that was what they could afford but didn't leave much extra money for anything else
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating