Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Questions about yogurt
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:19 pm
Anything with added sugar is not breakfast food in our house, except for on shabbos. Thing is, carb heavy cereals are only slightly better in my book. We aim for high protein high fat lower carb breakfasts.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:20 pm
mizle10 wrote:
Then I’m assuming your kids don’t either have for breakfast:

Muffins, homemade, with whole wheat flour and oats and even yes, sugar
Oatmeal packets
Hot chocolate in a hot cup on the way to school on a cold winter day
Smoothies- frozen fruit and juice
Most cereals
Farina with sugar added in
Juice, chocolate milk
Pancakes/waffles

Honestly, I don’t care. It’s healthy enough for me, there are nutrients in there. Bh my kids are all healthy and thriving.

My muffins are sweetened with things other than refined white sugar and of course no food coloring
We do plain quick oats and add things other than refined white sugar and food coloring
We make our own hot cocoa with cocoa and sweeteners other than refined white sugar.
We do consume smoothies made up of whole frozen fruits (no sweeteners added to the fruit or to the blender), plain yogurt, and ground nuts.
Cereal is for Shabbos morning.
No farina
Juice is for random during the day though mostly we keep it for Shabbos.
Pancakes can be sweetened with things other than refined white sugar.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:25 pm
Delete

amother
White

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:29 pm
And even muffins or oatmeal with some sweetener is still less sugar than the flavored yogurts.

Frumme

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:29 pm
Plain yogurt is very sour. You need to add something sweet to it or of course your kids won't enjoy it....

I mix in maybe 1 tbsp of pure maple syrup in a cup of yogurt, so that's 14g of sugar. Then I crumble some granola in or stick a Nature's Valley bar in it.

Parfaits like that are very common in France, Switzerland, Germany, etc.

I don't find it particularly bad to have that for a meal every now and then. All in all it's not that bad. Children 2-18 are supposed to have less than 25g of sugar a day, so as long as you're watching their intake it's okay to eat in moderation, especially if the kids enjoy it.

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:30 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
Anything with added sugar is not breakfast food in our house, except for on shabbos. Thing is, carb heavy cereals are only slightly better in my book. We aim for high protein high fat lower carb breakfasts.

What do you serve for breakfast?

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:31 pm
Frumme wrote:
Plain yogurt is very sour. You need to add something sweet to it or of course your kids won't enjoy it....

I mix in maybe 1 tbsp of pure maple syrup in a cup of yogurt, so that's 14g of sugar. Then I crumble some granola in or stick a Nature's Valley bar in it.

Parfaits like that are very common in France, Switzerland, Germany, etc.

I don't find it particularly bad to have that for a meal every now and then. All in all it's not that bad. Children 2-18 are supposed to have less than 25g of sugar a day, so as long as you're watching their intake it's okay to eat in moderation, especially if the kids enjoy it.
If your kids eat that for breakfast that’s their entire allowance of added sugar for the day right there. Not saying this judgmentally. I really believe people should do what works for them.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:39 pm
amother [ Yellow ] wrote:
What do you serve for breakfast?
Scrambled eggs, avocado and olives. Muffins, pancakes, waffles made with almond and coconut flour, lightly sweetened with non refined sweeteners and stevia. Fruit smoothies with avocado to balance out the sugars. Plain yogurt with dark chocolate chips or fruit. We do do oatmeal once a week, with frozen blueberries. French toast with a little all-fruit jelly. Granola with a lot of nuts and seeds, sweetened with a little honey or maple syrup. Cereal very occasionally, but only those with very minimal added sugar added. Rice cakes with avocado and hot peppers—my kids favorite!

Frumme

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:39 pm
If your kids eat that for breakfast that’s their entire allowance of added sugar for the day right there. Not saying this judgmentally. I really believe people should do what works for them.

Lol. It's not. A cup of plain yogurt with 1 tbsp of pure maple syrup is 14g of added sugar, total. Daily allowance is 25g, so that's 11g to "play" with. Plus it depends on the child how much they eat; my toddler is not going to eat an entire cup of yogurt (she might have 2 oz, so that's 3.5g of sugar).

FWIW I live OOT and CY yogurt is a big treat to have in the first place.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:41 pm
Frumme wrote:
Lol. It's not. A cup of plain yogurt with 1 tbsp of pure maple syrup is 14g of added sugar, total. Daily allowance is 25g, so that's 11g to "play" with. Plus it depends on the child how much they eat; my toddler is not going to eat an entire cup of yogurt (she might have 2 oz, so that's 3.5g of sugar).

FWIW I live OOT and CY yogurt is a big treat to have in the first place.
Natures valley bars have a lot of added sugar.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:48 pm
We don't keep cy so there's more options. I also buy the low sugar chobani. Pesach was tough because the Jewish brands have so much sugar, so I was buying the shop rite brand and scooping out the fruit jam, and it prob still had way too much sugar. At one point I was buying plain and mixing in jelly or honey, but it's just another form of sugar. Your body doesn't really know the difference between maple syrup and refined white sugar. Like others have said, it's all a balance--we don't give juice or hot dogs or sugar cereal, but french fries and low sugar yogurt are on the table regularly. You can prioritize based on what works for you. And maybe we need a campaign to get the Jewish brands to make lower sugar yogurt. It's a gap in the market for entrepreneurs!

rachel6543

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 2:50 pm
My toddler loves plain yogurt with freeze dried raspberries or freeze dried strawberries. Sometimes I’ll had a few raisins or chocolate chips to sweeten it a little.

Frumme

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 3:03 pm
Natures valley bars have a lot of added sugar.

I just checked-- 11g added sugar for two bars. Yes, if my kids ate an entire cup of yogurt and two whole granola bars, it would be 25g. But they're not eating 8oz of (low fat, plain) yogurt and 2 bars of granola. They're eating maybe 2 oz yogurt and 1/4-1/2 pack of NV bars, so that's what-- 3.5 + 5? 8.5g? We can always reassess as their tastebuds mature and lower sugar accordingly (since children's palates are primed for sweet things until they hit puberty).

Everything in moderation is my mantra. Very Happy

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 3:09 pm
For those who don't feed their kids foods with sugar, how old are your kids??
And how do you maintain the limited sugar if your kids go to school or camp or get together with friends?

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 3:17 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:
And how do you maintain the limited sugar if your kids go to school or camp or get together with friends?
My kids are elementary age. I gave up limiting what they get outside the house, though it does bother me to no end. But that’s just more reason for me to Make sure that at least what they’re eating at home is nutrient dense and not harmful. And yes, it ends up being a little bit of a catch 22. It’s so much harder to get them to eat healthy once their taste buds are primed for processed foods. But we found what works for us.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 3:18 pm
Frumme wrote:
I just checked-- 11g added sugar for two bars. Yes, if my kids ate an entire cup of yogurt and two whole granola bars, it would be 25g. But they're not eating 8oz of (low fat, plain) yogurt and 2 bars of granola. They're eating maybe 2 oz yogurt and 1/4-1/2 pack of NV bars, so that's what-- 3.5 + 5? 8.5g? We can always reassess as their tastebuds mature and lower sugar accordingly (since children's palates are primed for sweet things until they hit puberty).

Everything in moderation is my mantra. Very Happy
I wish it worked that way Wink

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 3:30 pm
Fabulous wrote:
It’s annoying that the low fat/fat free are the only ones with lower sugar. I wish they had full fat and low sugar. I just give the low fat ones because I feel like sugar is worse and they get fat from cheese and avocado etc

Wait, what? It has always bothered me that the nonfat ones are the ones with higher sugar, because I hate the taste of fat in yogurt.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 3:36 pm
amother [ Seashell ] wrote:

My kids are preschool through middle school. Because my kids have so much sugar in school, camp, and with friends, it's even more important to me that the food I provide them should be healthy. I agree with "everything in moderation" but they're already getting an abundance of sugar in school lunches and treats from the teacher/rebbi and every other day birthday party, siyum, shabbos party, student of the week (Bh only good reasons Smile ). Therefore, I take my responsibility more seriously. I know it's too easy to give up and say they're anyway getting so much junk food, why bother, but I don't. I'm their mother and I need to do what I believe is part of my job.

mizle10

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 3:40 pm
I’m getting the impression that those who have a problem with yogurt are generally super health conscious and selective about what foods are being eaten in their homes.
In that case, yogurt is probably not the biggest question you would have for me regarding my children’s diets.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 3:59 pm
mizle10 wrote:
I’m getting the impression that those who have a problem with yogurt are generally super health conscious and selective about what foods are being eaten in their homes.
In that case, yogurt is probably not the biggest question you would have for me regarding my children’s diets.

Lol so much this
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics