Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Questions about yogurt
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

sheifelah

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 4:56 pm
amother [ Babypink ] wrote:
The question is why? Why is it a typical breakfast?
Why don't you count the sugar in yogurt?
Im not asking in an accusatory manner or out of spite, I am genuinely curious. The sugar in yogurt is added sugar. It's like pouring spoonfuls of sugar into their meal. I feel like I'm the only one who DOESN'T feed yogurt as a staple, and I can't understand it.

Oh, I am very bothered by how much sugar is in yogurt. It's ridiculous!! I am pretty sure they could put in less sugar and have it still taste good. Like meet somewhere between plain and the sweetened yogurt.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 5:09 pm
mizle10 wrote:
I’m getting the impression that those who have a problem with yogurt are generally super health conscious and selective about what foods are being eaten in their homes.
In that case, yogurt is probably not the biggest question you would have for me regarding my children’s diets.

IDK if it was you or another poster who saw no problem with sugary yogurts but doesn't serve deli/hot dogs. I find that interesting.

Redbird

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 5:09 pm
You can sweeten yogurt yourself, to taste just like store bought.

Fruit: Mix in jam

Coffee: Dissolve coffee and sugar and a little hot water and mix it in.

Vanilla: Sugar and vanilla extract (dissolve the sugar in hot water)

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 5:11 pm
Believe me, I'm very aware of the sugar in yogurt and yes, I'm bothered by it.

But I spend so much energy saying no to the sodas and birthday treats that come home from school regularly, and the tradition soups, donuts, candy and slurpees they constantly ask for, and trying to get them to eat somewhat nutritious meals (not just cereal, bread and pasta for breakfast lunch and supper), that I'm thrilled when they eat yogurt!!

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 5:29 pm
I buy fruit flavors since they tend to have less added sugar than vanilla. It's also the only food my kid eats that has added sugar, so I figure it won't kill her. Otherwise she drinks water. Eats cheese and fresh fruit and veggies. Plain eggs. One heavily processed food a day is pretty reasonable in my book when it also has benefits.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 5:47 pm
I didn’t read the whole thread but yes yogurt is a staple in our home. My kids and I eat the full fat plain Greek yogurt mixed with peanut butter and cinnamon every day. It’s yummy like ice cream and has no added sugar.

amother
Purple

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 6:02 pm
The reason I personally don’t consider the fat and protein in sweetened yogurt a redeeming factor is because I’m not worried about my kids not getting enough fat and protein but I am worried about the effect of constant sugar spikes on their system. I guess if my kids were the type that ate like birds maybe I would consider sugared yogurt a win.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 7:03 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
IDK if it was you or another poster who saw no problem with sugary yogurts but doesn't serve deli/hot dogs. I find that interesting.

That was me!! What else would you like to know? Other foods we do and don’t eat?

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 7:28 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
That was me!! What else would you like to know? Other foods we do and don’t eat?

We also allow sugary yogurts as a regular staple and avoid deli and hot dogs (truth is my kids don't particularly like them) because I know my kid is getting plenty of salt in her other food but not plenty of sugar.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 7:31 pm
amother [ Purple ] wrote:
The reason I personally don’t consider the fat and protein in sweetened yogurt a redeeming factor is because I’m not worried about my kids not getting enough fat and protein but I am worried about the effect of constant sugar spikes on their system. I guess if my kids were the type that ate like birds maybe I would consider sugared yogurt a win.

This is a big factor. Look at it in the bigger context of their diet. Do they need the calcium and protein? Is there a lot of other sugar? If my kid is eating a matzah and cheese sandwich for dinner (true story tonight) I have no problem letting her also have a yogurt. The sweetest thing she had all day until that yogurt was half a banana. She won't touch a cup of milk, so yogurt and cheese become staples.

amother
Powderblue

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 7:36 pm
honey36 wrote:
Thank you! I agree that the yogurt you mentioned is nutritious! What I didn't know was that is is "obvious" that you can choose this type of yogurt. I've actually never seen such a thing. All the CY yogurts I see are either plain with no added sugar at all, in which case the kids won't touch them, or loaded with 20grams in a small container. What brand is this strawberry yogurt you mentioned?

Both pixie cups and blendz have 11g added sugar plus 4g natural sugar from the fruit. Not sure about other brands since those are what I tend to buy

HeartyAppetite

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 7:36 pm
honey36 wrote:
Thank you! I agree that the yogurt you mentioned is nutritious! What I didn't know was that is is "obvious" that you can choose this type of yogurt. I've actually never seen such a thing. All the CY yogurts I see are either plain with no added sugar at all, in which case the kids won't touch them, or loaded with 20grams in a small container. What brand is this strawberry yogurt you mentioned?

I use the mehadrin pouch yogurt it has 10 grams added sugar. They also have the pouch Greek yogurt which might have less.
It’s basically the only sweet thing my baby eats. It’s something easy I could take along on the go, and it does provide nutrition. I think everything in moderation is ok.
I try to avoid food with colorings and chemicals....
But sugar I allow in moderation.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 8:38 pm

Yes, and how do you decide.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 8:39 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

AMA. I can’t think of a list off hand.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 8:48 pm
Op I’m totally with you. One of my kids will only eat the sugary yogurts and I hardly give it to him. My other kids have yogurts often because they like the Greek yogurts.
The sugary yogurts have about the same amount of sugar as ice cream. So unhealthy!!

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 9:08 pm
bsy wrote:
I dont give sweetened yogurt. I mix plain greek yogurt with a spoonful or 2 of flavored yogurt. The flavored yogurt is just like melted ice cream. Loaded with sugar.

My DD does this. buys big containers of plain yogurt and sweet yogurt and mixes it so its half the sugar.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 10:05 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

so can you start with what the problem is with deli that it's a bigger problem for you than yogurt, iow, I know that deli isn't healthy, that's why we have it maybe once or twice a year, same as sugary yogurts (usually erev pesach when I need extra cooperation, and more easy food options lol). My question to you is why in your eyes is it worse?

eta; sorry I quoted wrong post. This is for LAWNGREEN amother or anyone else who does similarly.

amother
Blush

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 10:09 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
so can you start with what the problem is with deli that it's a bigger problem for you than yogurt, iow, I know that deli isn't healthy, that's why we have it maybe once or twice a year, same as sugary yogurts (usually erev pesach when I need extra cooperation, and more easy food options lol). My question to you is why in your eyes is it worse?

eta; sorry I quoted wrong post. This is for LAWNGREEN amother or anyone else who does similarly.

It's pure fat, ground up bones and gristle, all the odds and ends that would otherwise be thrown out etc. All the little flecks of white in salami are congealed fat. Lots of salt, too. A hot dog is the same stuff, just ground up very smoothly.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 10:19 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:

I didn’t say it’s worse. It’s just not a good group we eat. Maybe some sliced turkey but never ever hot dogs. I just think they’re gross and it’s disgusting to me how they’re made. I let my family eat them if we’re at an event and it’s served but not something I eat or buy.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Apr 25 2021, 10:19 pm
I didn’t say it’s worse. It’s just not a food group we eat. Maybe some sliced turkey but never ever hot dogs. I just think they’re gross and it’s disgusting to me how they’re made and what they’re made of . I let my family eat them if we’re at an event and it’s served but not something I eat or buy.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics