Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Reading books

mother of 2 princess's

Post Sun, Oct 02 2005, 4:31 pm
my 6 year old daughte came home with a reading book this weekend that I felt was very innapropriate for a frum jewis school. first of all its a book about monsters and theres some really scary pictures of dragons and dinasors in there. and it talks about a holy man who sawa monstor and theres a picture of him looking like a yoshky figure holding a cross. also a picture of a church window with mary a a cross. last week she came home with a book about a muslin family and musilim holidays. I have written a note in her homework diary saying I didnt feelit was appropriate for a frum school. my daughter told the teacher the book was scary and the teacher said dont be silly

do you think im overeacting

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Mon, Oct 03 2005, 3:40 pm
No, I don't thiink you are overreacting at all.
I don't know if there is a/thing the school can do about it.
maybe if enough mothers complain about it, they might do s/thing..
in our school, every book is censored before it is given out at the begginging of the year. pictures are colored with unerasable black crayon and improper words are also colored..

Meema2Kids

Post Mon, Oct 03 2005, 4:38 pm
I dont think you're overreacting either. This does not seem like appropriate material for a frum school. Sad

Tefila

Post Mon, Oct 03 2005, 5:36 pm
Quote:
and theres a picture of him looking like a yoshky figure holding a cross. also a picture of a church window with mary a a cross. last week she came home with a book about a muslin family and musilim holidays.

shock Isn't there a judaic principal overseeing the curriculum and the books given out or in the schools library Confused
I too would react this way if it was c"v w/h my kid Sad

mother of 2 princess's

Post Wed, Oct 05 2005, 5:36 pm
well just to inform you I wrote a note in my daughters homework diary which didnt come back on erev rosh hashannah so ill keep you updated with what happened
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children