Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
How do morahs get jobs? in NY
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Olive

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 8:28 pm
Also, just another FYI...the term "morah" is seen more of an elementary school position (and usually for limudei kodesh, rather than for secular subjects). Not middle or high school. You want to make sure you are using the right lingo if you want to present yourself properly.

naomi2

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 9:13 pm
I don't think op is coming across as rude. There is a tendency on imamother for posters to give unsolicited advice or information that op specifically said she is not looking for. It takes alot of patience to weed through all the answers and reply when half of them are not relevant. There was even a thread about that recently.
Op, you can look through Jewish newspaper classifieds such as the Jewish press, yated, and hamodia for jobs.
Also, I'm not sure if you are already doing this, but after you send your resume follow up with a phone call a day or two later asking if they received it etc.
Also, if you know anyone in a school you want to work in, they can put in a good word for you. In the frum world that goes a long way.
Good luck op!

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 9:33 pm
naomi2 wrote:
I don't think op is coming across as rude. There is a tendency on imamother for posters to give unsolicited advice or information that op specifically said she is not looking for. It takes alot of patience to weed through all the answers and reply when half of them are not relevant. There was even a thread about that recently.
Op, you can look through Jewish newspaper classifieds such as the Jewish press, yated, and hamodia for jobs.
Also, I'm not sure if you are already doing this, but after you send your resume follow up with a phone call a day or two later asking if they received it etc.
Also, if you know anyone in a school you want to work in, they can put in a good word for you. In the frum world that goes a long way.
Good luck op!

Thank you so much! I love everything you said.

I never thought about following up with a phone-call. Thanks for that!

To anyone who thinks I was being mean: I apologise. I am depressed and about to give up on life.

amother
Cobalt

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 9:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thank you so much! I love everything you said.

I never thought about following up with a phone-call. Thanks for that!

To anyone who thinks I was being mean: I apologise. I am depressed and about to give up on life.

Apology accepted. Thanks for explaining. To be fair, depressed ppl come across as rude unintentionally. In fact, I opened a thread a short while ago titled “I’m not trying to be nasty, I’m depressed”.

https://www.imamother.com/foru.....23365

So I’m sorry for whatever it is you’re going through. I wish you happier days ahead and lots of luck in all your endeavors.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 10:12 pm
As a parent/alumnus of SAR, Yeshivat Noam, Ma’ayanot, RAMAZ, and Frisch, I will tell you that not only are the jobs there very competitive, but they are looking for staff who are role models for the children who are MO li’chatchila. You are doing yourself and the children a disservice if you attempt to work at those schools, as I do not think you will be happy there.

My DCs have had the most wonderful teachers. They are role models and believe in Torah u’Madah. They are from within the community and have the same ideals.

Once again, based on what you yourself say that you are looking for, I don’t think the MO schools would be a good fit for you.
Wishing you the best of luck.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 10:19 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
As a parent/alumnus of SAR, Yeshivat Noam, Ma’ayanot, RAMAZ, and Frisch, I will tell you that not only are the jobs there very competitive, but they are looking for staff who are role models for the children who are MO li’chatchila. You are doing yourself and the children a disservice if you attempt to work at those schools. The children can smell judgement and disdain (as I am feeling from reading your replies-MO is not frum.....) a mile a way and while they may treat you with the appropriate behavior which is due a teacher, they will not have respect for you and your tenure will be short lived. Furthermore, you will likely not be comfortable with the subject matter, whether it is the reproductive system in biology, Catcher in the Rye in English, or Cathrine the Great in History. Children will come to you with questions ranging from evolution to current events, and challenges with the role of Hashem in the Holocaust to the Tree of Life Synagogue, to Meron. Israel politics are on the table and you will also be expected to go to the Israeli Day Parade.

My DCs have had the most wonderful teachers. They are role models and believe in Torah u’Madah. They support my children and do not look down on them or try to change them.

Once again, based on what you yourself say that you are looking for, I don’t think the MO schools would be a good fit for you.
Go luck with a BY.

This comment was extremely inappropriate and off-topic. At no point in time did I ever say MO people were not frum.

Also, your statements about me not believing in science or history are completely off-base, and show you are just spewing meshugas.

Finally, as an Israeli, I certainly have no problems with Israeli day parades.

Chag Yom Yehrushalayim Sameach!

amother
Pink

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 10:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This comment was extremely inappropriate and off-topic. At no point in time did I ever say MO people were not frum.

Also, your statements about me not believing in science or history are completely off-base, and show you are just spewing meshugas.

Finally, as an Israeli, I certainly have no problems with Israeli day parades.

Chag Yom Yehrushalayim Sameach!

My apologies. I wrote in anger and then went to edit, but got called away in the middle. But yes, it was stated above that MO was not frum, which I am sure you could see how one might fine offensive.

Btw, at the parade, there is an LGBQ contingency and many people, both spectators and participants are not dressed tznius.

amother
Olive

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 10:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Ummm...you might want to go back and reread your posts.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 11:13 pm
I'm sorry you're going through a hard time. There are plenty of women in Washington Heights who work in education. Ask one of them to talk to you about her experience. And then, just listen.

Don't jump in with your ideas of what constitutes frum, or reject things because they aren't practical right now. Just listen. Then think about what you want and what you're willing to do to make it happen.

Maybe it's worth buying a car and learning to drive. Maybe it pays to think about why you want to work only in a certain environment. Maybe you can teach different subjects.

Certainly, ask about the process. How did they apply? What kind of recommdations did they have? Do they know anyone who's hiring?

You're being very inflexible in terms of workplace hashkafa, job description and geography, and that's not helping in the search. Where can you make the changes that will get you what you want?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 11:19 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
I'm sorry you're going through a hard time. There are plenty of women in Washington Heights who work in education. Ask one of them to talk to you about her experience. And then, just listen.

Don't jump in with your ideas of what constitutes frum, or reject things because they aren't practical right now. Just listen. Then think about what you want and what you're willing to do to make it happen.

Maybe it's worth buying a car and learning to drive. Maybe it pays to think about why you want to work only in a certain environment. Maybe you can teach different subjects.

Certainly, ask about the process. How did they apply? What kind of recommdations did they have? Do they know anyone who's hiring?

You're being very inflexible in terms of workplace hashkafa, job description and geography, and that's not helping in the search. Where can you make the changes that will get you what you want?

I said I don’t drive. Not because I am lazy. Like, because of halakha.

amother
Smokey

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 11:20 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Which halacha?

amother
Violet

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 11:22 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Whoa! No one accused you of being lazy. You just said you didn't drive. There can be lots of reasons for that.

Do you really think driving is assur?

amother
Olive

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 11:25 pm
If you are newly frum, I assume you have driven in the past/have a license.
Frum women drive, in Israel and definitely in America.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 11:26 pm
DH does not want me driving and I completely agree with him. It’s just like not riding horses.

amother
Salmon

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 11:34 pm
I mean, what else can we help you with here? No seriously how can we help you.

amother
Violet

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 11:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
DH does not want me driving and I completely agree with him. It’s just like not riding horses.

No, driving is not like riding horses. And there's no halacha against women riding horses, either.

You mentioned that you are new to being frum. Please don't assume that you know more than you do. Certainly, you've seen religious women driving. Did that make you wonder?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 11:45 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
No, driving is not like riding horses. And there's no halacha against women riding horses, either.

You mentioned that you are new to being frum. Please don't assume that you know more than you do. Certainly, you've seen religious women driving. Did that make you wonder? I get the impression that you make blanket statements without stopping to think that there might be some nuances out there.

You can have your opinion, and I can have mine. There are also frum women who drink cholov stam. Does that mean I will stop drinking cholov yisroel? Of course not.

There are frum women who do not wear stockings. Does that mean I will go bare-legged? Of course not.

https://judaism.stackexchange......drive

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 11:45 pm
amother [ Salmon ] wrote:
I mean, what else can we help you with here? No seriously how can we help you.

Exactly my thoughts after reading through this thread

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 11:47 pm
I’m asking this in a respectful way. For how long have you been frum?

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 09 2021, 11:49 pm
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
I’m asking this in a respectful way. For how long have you been frum?

About five years
Page 5 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics