Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
There are no normal jobs for men
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 5:44 am
I posted this in finance because Im not sure where else to post.
My husband is looking for a new job for a few months already and he’s having a very hard time. He reached out to a recruiting company who helped him with his resume, he’s gotten a few interviews but didn’t get hired for any.
Most frum companies don’t want to pay more than 60k (which is what he makes now) and anything that pays more requires a crazy amount of experience. I don’t get it.

He doesn’t have many fancy qualifications, he’s been working entry level for a frum company. They promised him a promotion managing another branch of the business which they haven’t opened yet, the business isnt growing fast enough, we don’t know if/when that’s going to happen and he’s looking to gain skills and for something that has more growth potential and can bring in a more solid income

He happens to be very interested in finance and the stock market/trading and he’s got a good head for it too. He’s very smart, he was thinking of going to college but we can’t afford it right now and we don’t know if it’s worth it in the long run… so many people say college degrees aren’t worth anything these days.

I guess I’m just venting because I’m so frustrated seeing him apply and getting interviews and waiting on pins and needles… and then nothing. Or a rejection call, if he’s lucky. I can’t work full time for various reasons so I can’t be relied on to help out with the finances in a significant way.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 5:51 am
I think your current situation is evidence that he does need a college degree, or some kind of formal qualification.

If two people are looking for a job, and ine has a degree and the other doesn't, the one without is automatically at a disadvantage. The degree itself might not be worth anything, but the lack of it is a minus.

Yes, it's possible to start entry level and work your way up, but it doesnt often happen. Even when it does, you often hit a ceiling without a degree.

How to manage the finances involved, is another question, and I really don't have advice there. Maybe someone else can advise you.

amother
Scarlet

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 5:52 am
There are many frum options to get accounting or business degrees.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:13 am
amother OP wrote:
I posted this in finance because Im not sure where else to post.
My husband is looking for a new job for a few months already and he’s having a very hard time. He reached out to a recruiting company who helped him with his resume, he’s gotten a few interviews but didn’t get hired for any.
Most frum companies don’t want to pay more than 60k (which is what he makes now) and anything that pays more requires a crazy amount of experience. I don’t get it.

Does he have to work in a frum company? His options will be much wider if he doesn't limit himself to the frum world. Being in a frum environment is more comfortable in many ways, but plenty of people cope well working in a secular company. The lack of degree might be even more of a liability out of the frum world, but it's still worth trying.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:14 am
amother Puce wrote:
I think your current situation is evidence that he does need a college degree, or some kind of formal qualification.

If two people are looking for a job, and ine has a degree and the other doesn't, the one without is automatically at a disadvantage. The degree itself might not be worth anything, but the lack of it is a minus.

Yes, it's possible to start entry level and work your way up, but it doesnt often happen. Even when it does, you often hit a ceiling without a degree.

How to manage the finances involved, is another question, and I really don't have advice there. Maybe someone else can advise you.

Thing is he hasn’t been applying to those kinds of jobs. He’s applying to regular jobs that don’t need a specific qualification, they’re willing to train so I don’t understand it
Once he finds a better job he wants to go for a degree

amother
Iris

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:15 am
Are you in Lakewood, op? The job situation here for men nowadays is a dumpster fire. My husband has been looking for a job for such a long time. It is so demoralizing. He sounds very similar to your husband.

We spoke to PCS (agudah organization in Lakewood that helps people find jobs) who said that currently, they don’t have ANY jobs to offer men without experience or a degree. It’s unbelievable. Most companies are laying off, not hiring, in this economy. And the ones that are hiring want the cream of the crop if they’re hiring a man. It’s like reverse sexism.

amother
Babyblue

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:16 am
I think he should focus on a specific type of career path and work towards that. Maybe a career counselor could help him.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:20 am
amother Iris wrote:
Are you in Lakewood, op? The job situation here for men nowadays is a dumpster fire. My husband has been looking for a job for such a long time. It is so demoralizing. He sounds very similar to your husband.

We spoke to PCS who said that currently, they don’t have any jobs to offer men without experience or a degree. It’s unbelievable. Most companies are laying off, not hiring, in this economy. And the ones that are hiring want the cream of the crop.

It’s so hard. We’re not in Lakewood, but like you said they seem to be looking for cream of the crop and those jobs aren’t even paying that much
He’s a good guy, hardworking reliable smart. Hes not applying to crazy jobs. It doesn’t make sense

lamplighter

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:21 am
The truth is that entry level jobs in the frum world pay more than in a non frum company. Our idea of a decent salary is inflated by our HCOL.
It's a tough one because companies want either a degree and/or significant experience, so it's hard to actually get a foot in the door.
In these types of situations, the best way to land a job is with connections ie friends or family who knows someone who knows someone hiring.
In general the job market right now is very very rough. I'm so sorry.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:22 am
amother Babyblue wrote:
I think he should focus on a specific type of career path and work towards that. Maybe a career counselor could help him.

He spoke to one. They focused more on the e-commerce which is what he’s doing now, so his resume is tailored toward that. but even those apparently he doesn’t have enough experience

amother
Peach

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:26 am
When my husband was looking for a job years ago he couldn't find anything so he went to law school and then got hired where he interned and is working there since (its not a law firm) its real estate related business. Sometimes you have to go to school to get a better job. The people he works with all are lawyers but aren't practicing law.

amother
Sienna

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:29 am
My husband has been looking for a job for 6 MONTHS. It's ridiculous that in Lakewood there are only jobs for woman. I'm fed up.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:33 am
Are these $60,000 jobs entry level positions? Is that all that's available and people don't want to get that salary?

Maybe I live in a different world but that doesn't sound like a bad starting salary to me, especially with no experience or degree.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:37 am
I think in lakewood ppl expect such a high paying job without experience. 60k is decent for someone starting out a job (I know it's not enough money to support a family) my husband started out making literal peanuts at his job but BH he now makes a decent salary at the same place. He started off working mainly as a warehouse worker but since he was dedicated and worked very hard they kept giving him more responsibilities. Within 5 years of working there he's in charge of logistics for a huge company that has offices all over the US.
I know it's not easy and not simple but I really think the more devoted and the more dedicated u r the more likely u can build urself up (obviously not a guarantee)

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:41 am
amother Red wrote:
I think in lakewood ppl expect such a high paying job without experience. 60k is decent for someone starting out a job (I know it's not enough money to support a family) my husband started out making literal peanuts at his job but BH he now makes a decent salary at the same place. He started off working mainly as a warehouse worker but since he was dedicated and worked very hard they kept giving him more responsibilities. Within 5 years of working there he's in charge of logistics for a huge company that has offices all over the US.
I know it's not easy and not simple but I really think the more devoted and the more dedicated u r the more likely u can build urself up (obviously not a guarantee)

We’re not in Lakewood but that’s great, I’m happy for him and I’m happy there’s hope lol
And he’s been there 3 years, maybe more. He got a couple of raises he’s making more than he did starting out but he didn’t get any promotions they promised. It’s a small company, isn’t growing fast enough and we can’t really afford to wait 10 years

amother
Sand

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:42 am
amother Red wrote:

Why are you talking about Lakewood when she said she’s not in Lakewood?

amother
Quince

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:45 am
amother OP wrote:
We’re not in Lakewood but that’s great, I’m happy for him and I’m happy there’s hope lol
And he’s been there 3 years, maybe more. He got a couple of raises he’s making more than he did starting out but he didn’t get any promotions they promised. It’s a small company, isn’t growing fast enough and we can’t really afford to wait 10 years

If he can't find anything else I would stay at that job and go to college at the same time. Clearly he needs a degree to get to the next level. Or to open his own business.

amother
Snowflake

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:55 am
Regarding college, maybe look into Yeshiva Learning Experience.

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:56 am
My brother in law has no skills and is not very smart/with it and he couldn’t find a job for 6 months. Just started as a shadow in a school. This is in Lakewood fyi. He is making super little.

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Mar 13 2024, 6:57 am
I would recommend pcs accounting course for men.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics