Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Diagnosing - is this normal?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 5:45 pm
I had to sign some papers today at the therapy agency we use, in order to have my children continue to receive services from their Paediatric Rehab Programme worker. I saw on the bottoms of the papers that both have been diagnosed with anxiety. On on dc's paper, it also said "conduct disorder - unspecified" and on the other dc's it also said "adhd - unspecified" and "dmdd - unspecified".
The anxiety piece has been ongoing for years but I've never been told by the prp, therapist or psych that the dc have conduct disorder or adhd or dmdd!!!!!!! (I def agree with the dmd and adhd diagnoses, so I am not arguing here, but why would I never have been told that is what dc has?) I asked why I've never been notified of these kind of large diagnoses and was told maybe they need to put such a diagnosis on the forms to continue receiving the prp's services.
Is it me, or is this odd? If a child has a dmdd/adhd diagnosis, would it be eligible to have a shadow, hence return to school?

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 5:48 pm
Yes its normal that they use a diagnosis to get it covered by insurance. I don't understand your question about returning to school...

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 5:52 pm
Is dmdd and ahdh together enough to get a shadow covered? Both dc are out of school and I am wondering if one could go back with a shadow.
Isn't an anxiety diagnosis enough to get PRP? I am wondering why they gave other diagnoses also. And why they wouldn't inform the parent. Is this legal? Ethical?

amother
Brunette

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 5:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
Is dmdd and ahdh together enough to get a shadow covered? Both dc are out of school and I am wondering if one could go back with a shadow.
Isn't an anxiety diagnosis enough to get PRP? I am wondering why they gave other diagnoses also. And why they wouldn't inform the parent. Is this legal? Ethical?

Nobody is going to give you much for an anxiety diagnosis. It's way too common. That's why they pulled out the heavier diagnoses.

amother
Moccasin

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 5:58 pm
amother OP wrote:

I'm not sure. Sorry. In terms of getting a shadow covered you'd have to ask whomever you need to. Not sure if you're asking about insurance or Medicaid it's really not clear. In terms of what is legal or ethical- you asked them and they told you they needed a diagnosis to get it covered. So I don't see the issue?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 6:14 pm
They told me by having a secretary giving me papers to sign. No practitioner has ever discussed these diagnoses with me. Isn't that something that would come up in a parent/practitioner session?

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 7:00 pm
amother OP wrote:

Where do you live?
What services are available? Do you have an iep or similar?

amother
Mintcream

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 7:08 pm
You can call and set up a parent meeting, to discuss how your kids are doing, their diagnoses, and what if any steps can be taken to get them back in school.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Apr 03 2024, 7:15 pm
You should have been told and should have contact with the service professionals. Who diagnosed them? On what basis?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)