Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Split AC

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 7:39 pm
Has anyone had split units put in? Do you consider it worthwhile? I’ve heard it’s very expensive but it might make sense for my house.

tweety1

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 7:47 pm
The initial installation is expensive. But it pulls much less electricity than regular a/c. If it's worthwhile or not depends. Do you rent or own? I would only do it if I own my home.

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 7:54 pm
Thank you for replying. We own. The house came with very big powerful wall units, they work well but they are a good few years old and we’re thinking long term. There are also a few cold spots in the house in winter and I heard splits can be used to supplement heat also. I’m trying to figure out if there are any other downsides besides expense.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, May 23 2021, 8:13 pm
They're expensive to install but they save alot of energy and the electricity bills are way cheaper.

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 9:09 am
We had them installed years ago and it was very expensive. I don't know if the electric bill is less, I can't remember what it was. It has so many pros. Only con is that I like the white noise of a wall AC better than split. Splits are quiet so you hear things outside the house.

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 9:14 am
Op, just saying, if you have good credit, you can get it on finance

challahchallah

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 9:33 am
Can someone give an estimate of what installation plus a good unit actually costs? We are considering putting one in a particular bedroom.

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 9:38 am
Depends on the company, btu......

tweety1

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 9:50 am
challahchallah wrote:
Can someone give an estimate of what installation plus a good unit actually costs? We are considering putting one in a particular bedroom.

Depends on the installer, depends on the company, depends how many units you're putting in

flowergirl8

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 10:13 am
I believe my family paid around 16,000 to install in out house

challahchallah

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 12:07 pm
tweety1 wrote:
Depends on the installer, depends on the company, depends how many units you're putting in

I’m just putting in a single unit for a not huge bedroom. I was just curious to get a ballpark figure, I know I’ll need to get estimates from a few places when we’re actually ready to do it.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 12:07 pm
imagirl wrote:
I believe my family paid around 16,000 to install in out house

Thanks! Was this for one unit or multiple?

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 12:20 pm
One unit could probably cost about $1800-2500

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 7:04 pm
there is a government program going on now where alot of the costs are covered, because the government wants people to use splits instead of wall/window units cuz it saves on electricity
it still costs but you can get much more units for the same $ as 1 or 2 if you were paying privately

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 7:12 pm
amother [ Vermilion ] wrote:
there is a government program going on now where alot of the costs are covered, because the government wants people to use splits instead of wall/window units cuz it saves on electricity
it still costs but you can get much more units for the same $ as 1 or 2 if you were paying privately

Can you share any more information on this? We're planning on putting in splits and any rebates or assistance towards covering the cost would be nice. But I hadn't heard of anything like this so any information you can share would be helpful.

challahchallah

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 7:14 pm
amother [ Cerise ] wrote:
Can you share any more information on this? We're planning on putting in splits and any rebates or assistance towards covering the cost would be nice. But I hadn't heard of anything like this so any information you can share would be helpful.

Try looking here near your zip code (for US programs):

https://www.energystar.gov/rebate-finder

Bnei Berak 10

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 10:37 am
Do your research thoroughly. Size of room
Height of ceiling
How many windows in room
On which floor is the room located?
Room facing north or south?
You want to get it right

amother
Ruby

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 12:42 pm
We had one installed 2 years ago and we are very happy with it. Its in a large room which was boiling in the summer even with our central ac on full power. It cost us about 2000, brand of unit is daikin. It literally cut our electric bill in half in the summer ( we now keep the central ac unit on low). We also use it for heat nd it didnt affect out elec bill all that much in the winter.
Its also very quiet which we like.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics