Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Frum clothing companies rant
  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 11:18 am
I went to bais yaakov. I was taught that dressing modestly means covering your collar bone, elbows and knees. Fine. Do I cover everything perfectly? No. But I just don't understand how "frum" clothing companies who advertise as "modest" are putting out pieces that have v necks (not talking about the high neck v that covers) and don't cover the knee or elbow or a combination of these. Obviously it's not all the companies. And companies can do whatever they want. But if I was going to wear a low v neck, skirt above the knee, etc, I would just buy stuff from non Jewish stores. Better quality, customer service and often cheaper.
What do you think?

amother
Vermilion

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 11:19 am
Agree

To add: why are the ads for modest girl clothing showing the clothing above the knee. Always

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 12:31 pm
Completely agree!

amother
Peach

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 12:47 pm
Completely agree! It’s wrong of them I’ve spoken to some store owners and they say this is what the people want

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 12:52 pm
Im in agreement too . I don't want to spend all that money to have to wear a shell under a top. Or add material to lengthen something

amother
Papaya

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 12:53 pm
Agree. Add the super high prices and poor customer service to the mix. I love supporting Jewish owned businesses, but they make it really hard for me to want to shop by them sometimes.

amother
Beige

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 12:56 pm
Agreed. If I'm going to shell out extra for a frum store, the item had better not require a shell or some other alteration. Otherwise what's the point?

PeanutMama

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 12:56 pm
Lemme add that they cater to a certain body type too lol

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 12:59 pm
I was surprised to see a completely sheer skirt/top outfit on sale in a frum store. The saleslady said that (on top of the already high price) it just needs a shell dress (which would cost another $60 or so.)

amother
Forestgreen

I’m a cute with it Lkwd girl who loves to dress well. I’ve totally told stores off - but here’s the thing I realized specifically with quality control (not with the tznius piece) that they reallllly try but they are considered tiny companies compared to the big retailers out there and they can’t always control it down to the last detail the way they want it too. There’s a store in Lakewood call polka dot boutique. They make their own t shirts called rhythm. They are amazing. The wear really well and wash well don’t fade and last and last and last. And they sizing is ridiculous!!! One season I’m an xl and the next and xs! After complaining I’m realizing they don’t want it this way they are suffering too!! They def try but can’t always accomplish what they set out to do. I emailed a few children’s clothing companies recently cuz the quality was off .. my one email isn’t making or breaking it but if they see it again and again it’ll made a difference!
I’m regard to tznius - I deleted Instagram. I’m done. I want to be tznius and it’s a yetzer hara I don’t need . Seeing all the teeny lil Chiquita’s in their mini lil skirts and shmexy tops. Not healthy for me to see ...

amother
Emerald

Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

Yes. A short, thin woman with no curves.

Nothing fits over my chest and hips. Nor covers my knees. I'm lucky if it zips.

I vote NO with my wallet. See you all in Macy's and Nordstrom.

Notsobusy

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 1:00 pm
Hashem_n_Farfel wrote:

Yes. I'm a size large in any other store. I bought a shirt yesterday in a Jewish store in XXL. There is something very wrong with that. And stupid. Because who wants to buy something 2 or more sizes larger than they need?

amother
Violet

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 1:03 pm
I find it funny that you can buy more tzniusdige skirts in Theory, a non Jewish comapny.

amother
Violet

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 1:03 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I was surprised to see a completely sheer skirt/top outfit on sale in a frum store. The saleslady said that (on top of the already high price) it just needs a shell dress (which would cost another $60 or so.)

What is a shell dress?

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 1:21 pm
It's so frustrating. I ordered a black skirt with an elastic waistband from a frum store's website and when the skirt sits comfortably on my waist, it hits above the knee. I'm not going for that look. I'm not makpid to do 4 inches but I want my knees covered. Why is that so crazy??
Like a lot of you said, I don't want to buy something from a frum store and then have to wear a shell underneath because it's sheer, the neckline is too wide/low or the sleeves don't cover my elbows.
And I feel like there's a huge thing now where lots of "frum Instagram influencers" do NOT dress modestly. And no judgement. They can do whatever they want. But for some reason, they are the ones who promote many of the frum clothing companies and these companies seem to be designing their clothes according to these influencers' standards.
I just want skirts that hit below my knee, dresses that have a high neckline, etc.
Why is that so hard?!

Crookshanks

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 1:21 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
What is a shell dress?

Shell material dress that covers collar and elbows and knees. Shell Station sells them.

Chayalle

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 1:24 pm
I just want to say (and I'm not an influencer and am in no way connected with them) that I love shopping at Junee Jr with my teen DD. I've bought her several dresses there that not only covered her knees, but also came with a generous hem for letting out.

I vote with my wallet, and this keeps me coming back for multiple seasons, at full price, because it's actually worth paying for something that will last the season even if she grows a little.

smss

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 1:24 pm
100%

I'll rant about clothing sizes for many more hours than I'll rant about this (which in my experience happens way less) but yes, this too 😉

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 1:25 pm
Also the t shirts made by the frum companies are so so tight. It’s completely in tzniusdik.
I found one style point that is like a big tshirt sweatshirt type, otherwise they’re almost unwearable.
It bothers me the Instagram untzniusdik models. b”h my daughters don’t ever go on social media, but the message is so off.

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, May 24 2021, 1:31 pm
ITA with OP. But I don’t shop at frum clothing stores. If I need to kasher a dress with a shell or dickie anyway, why bother shlepping to Brooklyn when I can go to a regular store or a dressmaker near me?
Page 1 of 9   1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics