Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Frum clothing companies rant
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

amother
Blue

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 2:33 pm
Wow, I find the different skirt inches needed so interesting! I'm only 5'3" and 24" JUST covers my knees and I have short legs! I wonder if having a long torso (like me) makes that big of a difference? I'm pretty thin so I wonder if smaller sizes are also slightly shorter too.

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 4:24 pm
mandr wrote:
I hear that but I know of people who would gladly have their kids model in exchange for decent pay. I guess not all companies are willing to do that when they can get cheaper models. Also there's a difference between using a semi-Jewish looking non-Jewish model and an Asian.

It’s actually really hard to find jewish models
Also although mothers want free clothing- their kids don’t do this regularly and are super uncooperative.
And the ones that do agree want 5 times the price of nonjewish models for a quarter of the time.
BTDT

amother
Brunette

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 4:34 pm
watergirl wrote:
I remember when I was 16 and in Israel for the summer with camp. We went to Meah Shearim and I bought a top without trying it on, thinking it is Meah Shearim, of course it is ok. I put it on... skin tight. But also, I have a large bust... I gave it to my best friend and it was fine on her. But then I was 16 and since then I learned... a store is just a store. It is really unrealistic to have any expectations for what is carried in any given place.

Yesterday, there was a thread from someone who bought a Top Trumps card game in a frum store and was upset that the frum store would sell something with a picture of poop in it, which she saw only when she got home. Yet, the onus is on her and not on the store to know that if it is an Emoji card game, it stands to reason there will be the poop emoji along with various other famous and less appropriate emojis.

There is only so much of our seichel that we can outsource.

If people DO want to outsource seichel and not have to use their own moving forward, maybe it IS time for a grassroots organization made up of rabbis to give hechshers to stores. Like a rating system for stores. But a) I can only imagine the outrage, considering how many women are currently outraged with the rabbonim assuring their various head covering style and b) that would just add to the price tags because the rabbis would need to be paid, similar to how you have to pay for a hechsher and c) you still have the issue of a "kosher" garment fitting different bodies differently (kosher on one, not kosher on the other).

A store should try to cater to their clientele instead of making the clientele do extra legwork by adding fabric or a shell.
Yes of course it’s on me to make sure it’s tznius but it’s on them to provide options for that and not bring in something that doesn’t even have the option to be worn without a visit to the seamstress.
It’s not that complicated to understand unless you are desperate not to.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 4:34 pm
I'm not even close to 5 feet and I rarely find 25" works for me. It has to be very a line and not shrink at all. I end up buying 27" when I'm lucky to find them.

Fabulous

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 4:36 pm
I’m 5”7 and 27 inches covers my knees but definitely not 4 inches unless I wear it super low down past my hips.

watergirl

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 5:32 pm
amother [ Brunette ] wrote:
A store should try to cater to their clientele instead of making the clientele do extra legwork by adding fabric or a shell.
Yes of course it’s on me to make sure it’s tznius but it’s on them to provide options for that and not bring in something that doesn’t even have the option to be worn without a visit to the seamstress.
It’s not that complicated to understand unless you are desperate not to.

I understand perfectly, I just disagree to a degree. That’s ok.

hodeez

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 5:47 pm
It's not just about how tall you are. If you have hips and thighs that stretches the fabric and leaves less length

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 7:18 pm
watergirl wrote:
I remember when I was 16 and in Israel for the summer with camp. We went to Meah Shearim and I bought a top without trying it on, thinking it is Meah Shearim, of course it is ok. I put it on... skin tight. But also, I have a large bust... I gave it to my best friend and it was fine on her. But then I was 16 and since then I learned... a store is just a store. It is really unrealistic to have any expectations for what is carried in any given place.

Yesterday, there was a thread from someone who bought a Top Trumps card game in a frum store and was upset that the frum store would sell something with a picture of poop in it, which she saw only when she got home. Yet, the onus is on her and not on the store to know that if it is an Emoji card game, it stands to reason there will be the poop emoji along with various other famous and less appropriate emojis.

There is only so much of our seichel that we can outsource.

If people DO want to outsource seichel and not have to use their own moving forward, maybe it IS time for a grassroots organization made up of rabbis to give hechshers to stores. Like a rating system for stores. But a) I can only imagine the outrage, considering how many women are currently outraged with the rabbonim assuring their various head covering style and b) that would just add to the price tags because the rabbis would need to be paid, similar to how you have to pay for a hechsher and c) you still have the issue of a "kosher" garment fitting different bodies differently (kosher on one, not kosher on the other).

I don't think we need Rabbonim or hechsherim to know that dresses need sleeves and that 22 inch skirts fit almost nobody. Nor do we need to use too many brain cells to know that v-necks don't cover the collar bones.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 8:32 pm
amother [ Lawngreen ] wrote:
I don't think we need Rabbonim or hechsherim to know that dresses need sleeves and that 22 inch skirts fit almost nobody. Nor do we need to use too many brain cells to know that v-necks don't cover the collar bones.

With tops, yeah, you can wear a shell underneath, or a cropped top (dickie or other).
But with a skirt that doesn't do the job, you need to add on which is much more work.

cnc

Post Tue, May 25 2021, 10:12 pm
I'm finding this discussion about skirt lengths and heights so interesting. I'm 5 ft and 1 in and I need my skirts to be around 24 inches. (2-2.5 inches past the knee). I never realized that there are so many factors that determine how far skirts extend past the knee.

leaf

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 11:44 am
on the subject of hashgacha on clothing... dh was recently in yerushalayim and decided to purchase shells for me, despite the fact that I told him it would be impossible to gauge where the neckline would fall without me trying them on. Anyway, there are apparently shells that come with hashgacha b/c he was asked if he was looking to purchase the ones with hashgacha or the regular ones. I am guessing that the ones with hashgacha have higher necklines. Next time I'm in yersushalayim I will check it out.
KInd of bittersweet... glad that there's a soln... sad that we need one....

PinkFridge

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 11:50 am
leaf wrote:
on the subject of hashgacha on clothing... dh was recently in yerushalayim and decided to purchase shells for me, despite the fact that I told him it would be impossible to gauge where the neckline would fall without me trying them on. Anyway, there are apparently shells that come with hashgacha b/c he was asked if he was looking to purchase the ones with hashgacha or the regular ones. I am guessing that the ones with hashgacha have higher necklines. Next time I'm in yersushalayim I will check it out.

There's a brand, OK basic?, that makes them with buttons in a few colors.

keym

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 11:54 am
leaf wrote:

Hashgacha is useless usually.
I have a tiny neck and I need to alter all necks (even button down).
The same way that a 28" skirt can be ankle length on one woman and over the knee length on the other
The only thing hashgacha does is universal things- line tops, sew up slits, make sure it's not sleeveless.

zaq

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 2:02 pm
keym wrote:
Hashgacha is useless usually.
I have a tiny neck and I need to alter all necks (even button down).
The same way that a 28" skirt can be ankle length on one woman and over the knee length on the other
The only thing hashgacha does is universal things- line tops, sew up slits, make sure it's not sleeveless.

Of course! How can they possibly know how any garment will fit fit any individual?

southernbubby

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 2:25 pm
Men's suits almost always need alterations and the pants are rarely hemmed prior to purchase but we expect to have to pay for alterations for men's suits.

Aylat

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 2:33 pm
mandr wrote:
Also there's a difference between using a semi-Jewish looking non-Jewish model and an Asian.

There are Asian Jews, including frum Asian Jews. What does Jewish looking mean?

keym

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 2:36 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Men's suits almost always need alterations and the pants are rarely hemmed prior to purchase but we expect to have to pay for alterations for men's suits.

You also don't have men's pants with flowers, lace, sequins, etc or pleated, ruffled, etc that hemming 4 inches will lose the entire look and design of the skirt.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 2:41 pm
southernbubby wrote:

I personally would be thrilled if skirts came with a generous, rough, unhemmed edge! I could make it as long or short as I want.

A quarter inch hem does not help me much if the skirt is too short (usually the case for me! )

Aylat

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 2:44 pm
Notsobusy wrote:
I think you're missing the point. I buy my chickens at a kosher supermarket so that I don't have to take it to the rabbi and salt and kasher it. When I shop in a kosher supermarket I don't look for hechsherim, I expect everything to be kosher, that's why they're called a KOSHER supermarket.

But not everyone eats the same hechsherim, especially when it comes to meat and chicken, and before Pesach. I expect everything in a kosher supermarket to have a hechsher, but I check what it is before buying to ensure it meets our family standards.

avrahamama

Post Wed, May 26 2021, 2:45 pm
amother [ Emerald ] wrote:
I personally would be thrilled if skirts came with a generous, rough, unhemmed edge! I could make it as long or short as I want.

A quarter inch hem does not help me much if the skirt is too short (usually the case for me! )

Yes! That would be amazing!
Page 8 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics