Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Clicking Heels 3x After Sh'mona Esrei

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 11:35 am
Is there a source for tapping/lifting your heels/feet 3x when finishing Sh'mona Esrei?

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 11:38 am
It's a misunderstanding. When someone davens b'tzibbur, they stay 3 steps back until kedusha when they go forward and rise on their toes 3 times for kadosh, kadosh.

If not doing this, wait a beat, take 3 steps forward after finishing and no toe rising.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 11:38 am
NO
No one understands why women do this. There is absolutely no source for this.

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 11:39 am
Only if you say "there's no place like home."

Seriously, it's just what happens if you move forward after standing with your feet together and don't want to fall.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 11:40 am
Clicking heels is a Dorothy in Oz concept.

I lift my heels once, briefly, when I finish the Amidah, after I've done the three steps back, bowing, and three steps forward. My teachers told me that the idea was to signify a separation between this most sacred talking to Hashem and the rest of davening (when we are also talking to Hashem, obviously, but it's not as sacred as the Amidah). The girls in my school mostly did two or three heel lifts (no one clicked!) but as I grew up and I observed what women in my shul did, I saw that one brief lift was the most common. It seemed to me less ostentatious, so that's what I do.

Last edited by JoyInTheMorning on Sun, May 30 2021, 11:42 am; edited 1 time in total

JoyInTheMorning

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 11:41 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
Only if you say "there's no place like home."

Seriously, it's just what happens if you move forward after standing with your feet together and don't want to fall.

I had never thought of this as just not sticking the landing! :-D

amother
OP

Post Sun, May 30 2021, 11:44 am
Hashem_Yaazor wrote:
It's a misunderstanding. When someone davens b'tzibbur, they stay 3 steps back until kedusha when they go forward and rise on their toes 3 times for kadosh, kadosh.

If not doing this, wait a beat, take 3 steps forward after finishing and no toe rising.

Thank you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics