Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
How do you differentiate between work and shabbos clothes?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 12:23 pm
Sometimes professional work clothes are nice enough to wear for Shabbos, but I don't like wearing them for both, and I'm not a fancy person. How do you differentiate between work and shabbos clothes? Is it price or style? How can I find nicer than wear to work clothes for shabbos?

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 12:30 pm
Style.

E.g. I wear aline skirts to work ave straight on shabbos

amother
Rose

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 12:31 pm
Work clothes are tailored, shabbos clothes are flowy.

ShishKabob

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 12:44 pm
Shabbos clothes to me are more dressy, more sparkly. I would wear clothing with sparkles or sequins on shabbos and not to work.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 12:58 pm
Lately I noticed people wearing what looks like shabbos clothing to work.
It used to be easier to differentiate weekday and shabbos clothing.

Goody2shoes

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 12:59 pm
I'm a real simple dresser on re regular weekdays. shabbos cloths to me are sparkly and fancy

amother
Natural

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 12:59 pm
Work - tops and skirts
Shabbos - dresses

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 1:08 pm
Shabbos clothes tend to be more delicate, harder to wash and generally less practical, as well as being prettier.

BadTichelDay

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 1:10 pm
I've got 4 subgroups of clothing:
1- Work clothes: an assortment of
reasonable looking skirts and shirts kept apart for work.
2- House and garden: somewhat shabbier or older skirts and shirts, sometimes they are mustered out ex-work clothes.
3- Shabbat: Several dresses and some nice looking skirts and shirts which I keep set aside for Shabbat.
4- YT and weddings - glittery or embroidered things that are too overdone for a regular Shabbat.

My mitpachot and headscarves are also mostly divided into these 4 groups though I swap them between groups if I need a specific color or pattern that day.

amother
Bronze

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 1:18 pm
amother [ Violet ] wrote:
Style.

E.g. I wear aline skirts to work ave straight on shabbos

I do the opposite!

amother
Forestgreen

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 2:20 pm
I set aside what is for shabbos and if it's similar to work, so be it.

amother
Ruby

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 2:56 pm
They're nothing alike. For work: street-length tailored skirts and cotton shirts, oxford style or similar, solid colors or businesslike patterns like stripes, herringbone or plaid. The occasional severe tailored suit. For Shabbat: florals, silky fabrics, velvets, dressy suits, dresses. I keep them in separate closets, too.

Crookshanks

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 2:59 pm
What Elfrida said. A lot of my Shabbos clothes are black-more elegant. My weekday clothes are more t shirts in the summer and big chunky sweaters in the winter.

finprof

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 3:00 pm
I don't

zaq

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 3:07 pm
amother [ Beige ] wrote:
Lately I noticed people wearing what looks like shabbos clothing to work.
It used to be easier to differentiate weekday and shabbos clothing.

It doesn't matter what other people consider Shabbat or weekday clothing. What matters is that you distinguish between the two in your own life. For someone who wears jeans and T-shirts all week, a denim skirt and cotton blouse can be Shabbosdik. For someone who wears silk blouses and Chanel suits all week, Shabbos clothing might be lace-trimmed dresses. In certain neighborhoods, women go grocery shopping in clothing I would wear to shul on Rosh Hashana and jewelry I would hesitate to wear to a fancy wedding. I can't imagine what they wear on Shabbat.

I always believed that one should have clothes set aside just for Shabbat, even if that is just one or two outfits, but discovered to my amazement that some very frum people don't do this. They may wear exactly the same things all week, or they may dress up the same clothes with fancier jewelry and a fancier sheitel on Shabbat. I find this shocking.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 3:10 pm
Sometimes I'll start something off for Shabbos while its fresh and crisp, then once it gets a bit worn I'll downgrade it to weekday. I have two skirts that I bought three years ago which have been Shabbos skirts, but recently I bought some new Shabbos clothes, and I'm thinking of turning these into nice weekday skirts. There isn't always a clear distinction. It might just be the nicest of what I have.

Elfrida

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 3:13 pm
Crookshanks wrote:
What Elfrida said. A lot of my Shabbos clothes are black-more elegant. My weekday clothes are more t shirts in the summer and big chunky sweaters in the winter.

I never said anything about black! I avoid wearing black on Shabbos or weekdays, except as a contrast or background to a bright colour.

amother
Cobalt

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 3:22 pm
When I buy something new, I designate it in my mind as "work" or "Shabbos" and that's what it becomes. Nothing to do with the style and I often (well, pre-COVID) have to dress up for work meetings, so what differentiates the clothing is what I designate a particular article of clothing to be. For example, I have 2 black A-line skirts of similar styles but slightly different material. One is Shabbos and one is work. I will not wear a Shabbos outfit to work on purpose so that it remains special for Shabbos.

amother
Blue

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 3:25 pm
zaq wrote:
It doesn't matter what other people consider Shabbat or weekday clothing. What matters is that you distinguish between the two in your own life. For someone who wears jeans and T-shirts all week, a denim skirt and cotton blouse can be Shabbosdik. For someone who wears silk blouses and Chanel suits all week, Shabbos clothing might be lace-trimmed dresses. In certain neighborhoods, women go grocery shopping in clothing I would wear to shul on Rosh Hashana and jewelry I would hesitate to wear to a fancy wedding. I can't imagine what they wear on Shabbat.

This reminds me of when I was at Neve. Bnos Chava was on the Neve campus at that time. Before the Bnos Chava girls arrived, one of the teachers explained to us that we would see them wearing much fancier clothes than we did. 'What they wear during the week, you might wear on Shabbos. What they wear on Shabbos, you might wear for Yom Tov, or a wedding. Don't ask what they wear for weddings...' She went on to say that they were different styles, but both were equally valid, and we shouldn't feel any need to copy their style of dress as being the 'frum' thing to do.

In an environment where girls were making big changes to their style of dress and trying to adapt themselves to a frum lifestyle it was an important point to make. As long as the clothing is tzanua, there is room for different styles, and no one style is more valid than any other, both on Shabbos and during the week.

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 3:28 pm
I buy with one designation in mind and keep things separate. I usually designate put-together but comfortable for weekday work clothes, and reserve dressier items for shabbos. Everyone should designate according to their own style.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics