Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Rebbi gift who went above and beyond
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 2:25 pm
My sons rebbi has been there for us and our child like you can’t imagine. I have so much hakaros hatov for him but need suggestions of what I can get him. He’s chassidish, and I would love to give something useful, heilig and that he feels we appreciate him. Any suggestions would be amazing

dorala

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 2:26 pm
a silver challah knife.

amother
Orchid

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 2:34 pm
A nice bircas habayis plaque or another bracha

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 2:46 pm
Anything for the Shabbos table. Challah cover, benchers in nice box, challah board etc. Any gift is nice. Just remember the wording that accompanies the gift is worth more than the actual gift. It's very nice of you to show your appreciation.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 3:40 pm
a nicely written letter or a poem with a gift card to Judaica store

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 3:45 pm
Something for the Shabbos table with a gift receipt stating that you wanted to get home something special but don’t know what he has so to please please feel comfortable exchanging it for something different if he would prefer.

I have 2 silver challah knives and while it is a lovely gift, I really don’t need a third.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 8:40 pm
Thanks everyone . Keep them coming .

hesha

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 9:14 pm
I definitely vote a check.
It’s really hard to guess what a person will enjoy as a gift, and most Rebbis can use some extra cash

momtra

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 9:35 pm
If you get a gift ( and not a check) I think something personalized with the family name on it ( משפחת כהן etc,) is always a nice touch.

amother
Silver

Post Tue, Jun 01 2021, 9:41 pm
Please. Only a check. Not a gift. Rabbeim make very little compared to the amount of effort and time they put into talmidim. Rather than guess a gift he can or can't use, give him money which he likely really needs.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 9:44 pm
I know I can give money but I wish I can give something with more meaning

amother
White

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 9:47 pm
momtra wrote:
If you get a gift ( and not a check) I think something personalized with the family name on it ( משפחת כהן etc,) is always a nice touch.

Please if you are getting something with a name on it, please spell correctly Can't Believe It

avrahamama

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 10:01 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know I can give money but I wish I can give something with more meaning

The letter. Be very specific in your letter about what the rebbe did that made a difference. Whether it was going the extra mile with different and creative strategies to giving up personal time. Just be very specific.

smile11

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 10:05 pm
something for Shabbos is always appreciated. but include a recipe so he can exchange for what he wants.
or you can give a check with a small gift like a plaque for the door with there name

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 7:00 am
As a veteran parent who also works in a yeshiva office I strongly encourage you to give a check. It’s the best and really very appropriate way to show a rebbe Hakaras hatov. A warm letter accompanying it will be enough to convey your personal feelings and make the whole gift meaningful.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 7:08 am
amother [ Dodgerblue ] wrote:
As a veteran parent who also works in a yeshiva office I strongly encourage you to give a check. It’s the best and really very appropriate way to show a rebbe Hakaras hatov. A warm letter accompanying it will be enough to convey your personal feelings and make the whole gift meaningful.

While I understand the desire to pick out a meaningful gift, I think that this is actually the best advice. It took me a long time to figure out that giving isn't about what I would feel good about giving, but rather what the receiver would feel about getting.

Imagine that Rosh Hashana was coming up. What would you rather receive, a pretty plate with pomegranates painted on it, or enough money to buy a nice cut of meat? If finances are tight, I'm sure that most people would prefer to go with a better cut of meat than they could usually afford.

amother
Goldenrod

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 7:31 am
Money with a nice letter
Or money
Or money:)

Raisin

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 8:49 am
money or a gift card to a sefarim store.

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:12 am
While my personal answer is money/ check/ gift card and a nice letter, OP specifically said she wants ideas for a gift and not money.
I actually know people who prefer gifts. And they are in chinuch. Teachers / Rebbes. They appreciate gifts.

So perhaps she knows this rebbe and his family. And their preference would be a gift. We can’t always extrapolate from our own experience. In either direction.
OP was specific about it being a gift. Lets respect her.

happy chick

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 9:17 am
If you know the rebbi well or have a mutual contact, maybe you can find out if there's a specific sefer or set of sefarim that he wants. Books are expensive and he may appreciate it.
Although, as others pointed out, a gift receipt is always good to include.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics