Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Why do people want such loud music at weddings?
Previous  1  2

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 4:56 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Seriously. The decibel level is often at an unsafe and painful level. Does anyone enjoy it?

I hate it.

In my younger years I enjoyed obnoxiously loud music at times - like at a concert. But nobody is trying to have conversations with friends and family at a concert. I have a very hard time conversing with the person sitting right next to me at a wedding. And at this age I don't think I'd even enjoy such volumes at concerts or in any settings.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 5:31 pm
I was told by something in the business that when the men are singing along, because they're all grouped together, if the music isn't a certain volume they won't really hear it. Since the women aren't singing, for us it's loud. Or if you're on the men's side away from the inner circle.

Honestly, without any trauma, I love to feel the music in my whole body when I dance. As I get older, my ears don't like it. But my instinct does. And even on the girls side, when I'm in the middle of the circle, I don't notice it as much.

zaq

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 5:35 pm
"People" don't want loud music--the musicians do.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 6:58 pm
I am very conspicuously wearing ear plugs in some of my wedding photos. We handed them out.

amother
Coral

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 7:00 pm
FranticFrummie wrote:
It's loud by most Yeshivish people, too. Especially at fancy bar mitzvas where they really pull out all the stops.

I just don't go anymore.

Appetizers
An hour of pounding music.
First course
An hour of pounding music.
Second course
Two hours of pounding music.
If you haven't run for the hills yet, you might get dessert.

Hate, hate, HATE it! Mad

Not only that, they never serve alcohol on the women's side. Not even a half a glass of wine. It would help my nerves deal with the noise and crowds. If I ever get pressured into going to another simcha, I'm bringing a flask (or two) of vodka.

I love every word of what you wrote!

fbc

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 7:06 pm
Bothers me so much too. I don't think the decibel is what makes it leibedik. You can have it at a normal simcha- safe- volume, it's the beat and tempo that contribute to the level of leibedik. And the people!

taketwo

Post Wed, Jun 02 2021, 8:12 pm
Agree. Agree and agree some more. I actually dread weddings because of this. Who wants ringing in their ears for 2 days afterwards? Oh and pretending to hear what the person talking to me is saying can sometimes end up backfiring..

ShishKabob

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 12:52 pm
amother [ Periwinkle ] wrote:

Honestly, without any trauma, I love to feel the music in my whole body when I dance.

I hate it when I feel the music bouncing and pounding in my heart! (it's not my heartbeat)

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 12:55 pm
ShishKabob wrote:
I hate it when I feel the music bouncing and pounding in my heart! (it's not my heartbeat)

It actually feels a lot like a panic attack to me.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Jun 03 2021, 1:10 pm
I know someone who told the band when she hired them that if she has to tell them more than twice during the wedding to lower the volume, she won't pay them. I know this because during the wedding I told her how nice it was to be able to carry on a conversation.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics