Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
How do you deal with your adhd kids b4 stimulant kicks in?!?

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 8:59 am
I feel like I am going crazy!!!!!
I have a few kids with adhd, but dd age 12 in particular is the most severe. When she is not on a stimulant, she acts CRAZY! So in the mornings, she is off the wall like she is on steroids, not just hyperactivity, but behavior. making fun of everyone, fighting with everyone, screeching, etc.

This morning she was especially wild. So I sent her to take her medicine before anything else, before getting dressed even, since she wasn't even in a state to get dressed. She goes down to take her medicine. I am busy with other kids and hear her wreaking havoc and I am counting down the minutes until it takes effect. As she continues to act completely nutty, I made some comment about hoping the medicine kicks in soon and she tells me that she didn't take it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
She made herself a gourmet breakfast and ate but didn't take her medicine.

Just venting, it's really difficult.
I finally got her to take it. When she is on her med, she actually functions well and acknowledges that it helps her so much, but when she's not on it, she won't admit that it helps her.

amother
Azure

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 9:04 am
Speak to your child's psychiatrist. Mine told me there are a few new meds on the market. One you take the night before and it kicks in in the morning. One lasts 16 hours, so much longer in the evening and wears off more gradually...

imasinger

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 9:07 am
Hugs.

Two strategies.

1. Take first thing after opening eyes. Yes, it may slightly suppress appetite, but after they've been on the medication for a while, the effect isn't as major, and they'll still eat.

2. If this is a consistent problem, talk to your prescriber about a small dose of short acting stimulant to help for early morning, until the long acting ramps up.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 9:07 am
Totally get you.
Wash hands, take meds, then wake up.
It’s great that she is up to a place where she knows that she needs it.
Maybe discuss it with her and suggest that she stay in bed for 5-10 after taking it. Maybe some morning music or breathing exercise while she waits. Reward her.

amother
Gray

Post Fri, Jun 04 2021, 9:09 am
Give it to my teen while he still in bed asleep.

Not so fun but the only way to handle mornings
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)