Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Tips for chicken soup
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:17 am
Any good tips to bring chicken soup up to the next level. I would love to improve mine!

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:24 am
What do you think you're missing?

I'll tell you how I make mine, and you can see if that's useful.
I bring a lot of bones (in bags) and pieces (with bones and skin) and pupiks to a boil. I skim the scum. I usually put the veggies in before skimming, I'll let the purists deconstruct that. My veggies include lots of carrots, onions, and parsnip, and dill in a filter bag. I like celery too but not everyone does.
After skimming, I let it simmer with a lid mostly on for a good few hours. After it cools, I pour the soup into containers, add veg and meat, then refrigerate overnight. Later the next day I remove the fat, then freeze.
My soup is a bit intense. We like it this way.

jewishmom6

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:38 am
I use the "eishes chayil" (cookbook) chicken soup recipe.

amother
DarkRed

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:40 am
I sometimes put in some bone mate row which adds an incredible flavor and richness.
I used 4 all spice berries... I pretty much have been using Jamie gellers soup recipe comes out delicious every time

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:44 am
Tysm everyone

amother
Stone

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 10:46 am
Instant pot for 1:20 it's a game changer.
Bag with bones, onion and peeled beet inside of it. (all gets trashed)
Outside the bag, carrots and white veggies.

amother
Narcissus

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 12:05 pm
amother [ DarkRed ] wrote:
I sometimes put in some bone mate row which adds an incredible flavor and richness.

What kind of bone marrow? How much for a 4 qt pot? Is this in addition to chicken bones or instead of it?

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 12:11 pm
1. Place chicken in pot on a med-low flame. Skim off the scum. If you cook on a high flame the
scum will break into tiny pieces and be hard to remove. If you cook on a lower flame, the scum will be in big chunks and easy to remove.

2. Vegetables: Carrots, Onion, Celery, Garlic, Parsnip.

If you want to bring your soup to the next level add turnip, parsely root, and bell pepper

3. Simmer soup for a CLEAR soup. If you cook on high flame, the soup will be cloudy.

4. Cook for four hours for a very tasty soup. Some cook for longer (overnight) but I find
the taste too strong. But it is a matter of preference.

5. Season: Salt, pepper. Some like Dill Weed, Dried Parsley

amother
DarkRed

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 12:20 pm
amother [ Narcissus ] wrote:
What kind of bone marrow? How much for a 4 qt pot? Is this in addition to chicken bones or instead of it?

Last time I put 3 for a big pot. I use in addition to chicken or chicken bones

Surrendered

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 3:18 pm
Tip to remove fat from top of soup once it's cooked:
Put a plastic bag on top of the soup overnight, the fat will be in the bag, the soup will be clear.

amother
Sienna

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 3:29 pm
1. I add much more "stuff" than most people. 3 full pieces of chicken on the bone. package of carrots. half package of celery. sweet potato. 2 onions. Only use filtered water. Keep adding water as it reduces and let it cook an entire day, about 12 hours. THEN, add dry white wine, about a quarter of a cup at the end.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 3:37 pm
Fresh dill hands down. And the right vegetables to give that golden taste. I won't start my soup if I don't have fresh dill.

avrahamama

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 3:49 pm
I use a whole chicken or chicken quarters in a soup bag with an onion. top it with salt, tumeric, water and get it started.

Add a pinch of cardamon!

Then add whatever veg you like. I add it once the soup is cooked so that I don't have mushy veg.

When the soup is ready I pull out the chicken bag and pull off the chicken and put the chicken meat into the soup.

Window

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 4:11 pm
My chicken soup is water, a ton of chicken or bones (whichever I have), and salt. When it’s done, I toss the chicken, and add in carrots, zucchini and onions. I like a very strong chicken flavor and minimal seasoning.

I recently upped my chicken soup to the next level by adding in a green pepper. It’s incredible

sari00

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 4:59 pm
I just had an amazing chicken soup at my friends, first cook then slow and low for the entire day-14hrs ! Or overnight it's delish!!! Lots of veg, whole chicken but the slow simmer give the rich flavors

fatso gal

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 5:45 pm
I put chicken bones (the best is when there is still a backbone) and 4 chicken wings. Then I put on onion celery zucchini and carrot. Salt. I bring it to a slow boil the reduce to simmer with cover slightly off. Skim off the scum. Cook for a bunch of hours. I feel the longer you cook the dealer he chicken flavor. My mil cooks her on almost a boil for 2 hours only and there is barely any chicken flavor. You get the same results in the instant pot.

amother
Bottlebrush

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 6:11 pm
I boil the water before adding the veggies and chicken then I have a clear soup that doesn’t need to be skimmed

amother
Glitter

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 6:11 pm
I always have bone broth on hand and then use that to make my soup
In a big stock pot
Lots of chicken bones
Chicken feet
3-4 beef knee bones
1 large onion cut in 1/2
2 large carrots
1 bag of celery
1 bunch dill in a bag
I let it come up to a boil and then lower it to a simmer
I put it on the back flame covered and leave it for more than 24 hrs.

Then I strain the broth through a cheese cloth and let it cool.
I throw out all the bones and veggies

I put it in the fridge for about 8 hrs and skim the fat off

The broth becomes jelly, full of nutritious collagen
I put into containers and freeze

When I’m ready to make soup I add fresh veggies carrots, celery, parsnip
and cook for about 30 - 40 min and then add shredded pieces of rotisserie chicken at the end.

#BestBubby

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 6:28 pm
Glitter's soup is a BONE BROTH - cooked bones for 24+ Hours. It is very healthy.

tweety1

Post Fri, Jun 18 2021, 7:23 pm
I boil up vegetables before putting in chicken. It keeps it crystal clear without scumming anything off. I also add ppa dash of white pepper. It brings out the chicken flavor. Cook it on a low flame for as long as long as you can.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics