Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
S/O Chicken and meat prices are going up.
1  2  3  4  Next

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 6:50 am
Is there a price point where you will stop buying beef as a main course for shabbos? For me it’s when the “sale meats” at krm like club steak and minute steak hit 9.99 per pound I’m out maybe for yomim tovim. Otherwise we’ll learn to get by with chicken for shabbos that is delicious too.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 6:52 am
Everyone I know only has meat for special occasions or yuntiv. Maybe it's more normal in Israel.

southernbubby

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 6:54 am
Maybe I will buy it but give smaller portions.

amother
Bluebell

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 6:55 am
We rarely have meat as a main course for shabbos. We are far from poor. We have lots of food and sometimes a steak salad for lunch, but I just didn’t grow up having meat on Friday night 🤷‍♀️

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 6:55 am
LovesHashem wrote:
Everyone I know only has meat for special occasions or yuntiv. Maybe it's more normal in Israel.

I know but here in USA the price of basic schnitzel was like 4.99 per pound and the price for the sale meats was a dollar or 2 more per pound so for shabbos to buy one more wasn’t the biggest stretch but now it’s increased almost 50%.

trixx

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 7:06 am
Meat and chicken are going up and staying up.

amother
Ginger

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 7:06 am
amother [ Bluebell ] wrote:
We rarely have meat as a main course for shabbos. We are far from poor. We have lots of food and sometimes a steak salad for lunch, but I just didn’t grow up having meat on Friday night 🤷‍♀️

Same. We have some sort of meat maybe once every 4 weeks, just to mix things up. But it’s definitely not a weekly thing

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 7:13 am
Something that has also become completely lost in the conversation is fish. Aside for bottom feeding fish like carp and tilapia which taste like mud It has become a complete luxury item. At the same time I see their little vans all over Brooklyn Running deliveries So somebody is buying them.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 7:15 am
I grew up in a very frugal household, so fortunately I know how to stretch meat into a lot of different meals.

I can only afford meat every couple of months. I try to buy cheap cuts, and only when they are on sale. I depend on the Instantpot to get them tender. (I recently found out that shin meat was really delicious, even though it has tendons, and needs at least 4 hours to cook.)

Hamburger meat is a luxury, as are beef hot dogs. I can't remember the last time I sat down with a steak. It was at least 2 years ago, maybe more.

Rappel

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 7:15 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I know but here in USA the price of basic schnitzel was like 4.99 per pound and the price for the sale meats was a dollar or 2 more per pound so for shabbos to buy one more wasn’t the biggest stretch but now it’s increased almost 50%.

Why? That seems like an incredible jump

ETA - it sounds like Mehadrin meat and chicken are now cheaper in Israel than in the States. Is that true??

amother
Sunflower

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 7:18 am
Do food prices fluctuate? Meaning can we expect the prices to go back down eventually or once they go higher they remain higher?

amother
Brickred

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 7:22 am
as it is I rarely make meat.
My policy is $10 of the meat/ chicken needs to be enough for the meal for 2 people. So something like ground beef or shin meat is easier to stretch than a roast.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 7:32 am
Rappel wrote:
Why? That seems like an incredible jump

ETA - it sounds like Mehadrin meat and chicken are now cheaper in Israel than in the States. Is that true??

I exaggerate a drop when I said 50% probably more like 30-40%. But the real impact has been on the beef That used to go on sale for just a drop more than chicken cutlets is really affected. I iMagine people that used to buy a small package of 4 flanken for like 25 dollar per small package of meat every shabbos Will never really care about the price of meat.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 7:39 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Something that has also become completely lost in the conversation is fish. Aside for bottom feeding fish like carp and tilapia which taste like mud It has become a complete luxury item. At the same time I see their little vans all over Brooklyn Running deliveries So somebody is buying them.
. Do you not get good fish in America? Tilapia can be amazing if made with spices, vegatables etc.

We make it all the time baked with vegatables and spices and herbs or morrocan style in a pot with tons of paprika, Cumin, and other fun spices.

amother
Pear

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 7:46 am
amother [ Sunflower ] wrote:
Do food prices fluctuate? Meaning can we expect the prices to go back down eventually or once they go higher they remain higher?

I heard this from a meat distributor but I don't remember the reason. Whether it's covid or Biden. They're up and they're not going back down.

tp3

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 7:49 am
I've never made meat for a shabbos meal. Only chicken. I didn't even know it was a thing.
(Except for half a package of cholent meat, straight into the cholent. Or cheap deli.)
Meat for us says yomtov.

Frumme

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 8:02 am
LovesHashem wrote:
. Do you not get good fish in America? Tilapia can be amazing if made with spices, vegatables etc.

We make it all the time baked with vegatables and spices and herbs or morrocan style in a pot with tons of paprika, Cumin, and other fun spices.

I honestly only buy tilapia since it's one of the only easily accessible raw kosher fish other than salmon near me. Once in a blue moon I'll buy a whole fish like snapper from a fish market, but I generally don't have time for that.

Otherwise tilapia in the US is super bland, you have to really season it or fry it for it to have any taste. Moroccan, beer battered, fish sticks, heavily citrus'd....

Frumme

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 8:05 am
tp3 wrote:
I've never made meat for a shabbos meal. Only chicken. I didn't even know it was a thing.
(Except for half a package of cholent meat, straight into the cholent. Or cheap deli.)
Meat for us says yomtov.

Gemara agrees with you. Pleasure of shabbos is fish and spinach (spinach is in my translation but I think it could also be beets), pleasure of Yom Tov is meat and wine

amother
Vanilla

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 8:10 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I iMagine people that used to buy a small package of 4 flanken for like 25 dollar per small package of meat every shabbos Will never really care about the price of meat.

I wish flanken was that cheap where I live… a package of 2 pieces is over 20 dollars.

That being said, as per dhs request we have meat every Friday night.

small bean

Post Fri, Jul 09 2021, 8:13 am
amother [ Pear ] wrote:
I heard this from a meat distributor but I don't remember the reason. Whether it's covid or Biden. They're up and they're not going back down.

They will go back down when the supply can meat the demand.

Food prices do fluctuate.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics