Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Desserts
Dessert ideas
1  2  Next

mother of 2 princess's

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 7:17 pm
I need some dessert ideas for yomtov. im not very good at the desserts so something basic is good
thanks

Tefila

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 7:36 pm
Well I need new easy ideas only I'm fed up w/h icecream wether it's in a pie or in a cone and please no fruit platter it's coming out of my ears. Exclamation What I need is something that is not soo pricy since we're expecting a crowd am I asking too much Smile

sarahd

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 7:47 pm
Apple crisps are always my solution! They're great to serve in the sukkah, especially for people who live in the North (not that we know where you live, freilich LOL ) And they freeze very well. And they're easy to make, as long as you have someone to peel and cut the apples. See the recipe collection for my version. I also make apple-cranberry cobbler often, and it freezes pretty well.

Otherwise, how about cake and tea? Hungarian apple cake is great, roll out two layers of flaky or pie dough to cookie sheet size, sprinkle one layer with bread crumbs, layer with thinly sliced apples (slice them in the food processor and squeeze out the extra juice), sprinkle with sugar according to the apples' tartness and cover with the second layer of dough. Prick the dough and bake. Cut into squares, sprinkle with confectioners sugar and serve!

I just noticed all my suggestion are apple-linked. Well, it's the season for them, isn't it?

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 8:24 pm
if you have the best of the Heimishe cookbook there's a yummy strawberry dessert there....sorry, it's similiar to ice cream, freilich. I don't have the patience to get out my cookbook right now, but basically it's marshmellow fluff, strawberries (frozen) and whip - in a pie shell frozen.
let me know if you're interested in the full recipe

shaina punim

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 8:47 pm
brachad- I`v made that dessert a few times, its delicious!

slimnglam

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 9:16 pm
Hey everyone!!! I just joined and saw this posting, I knew I had to add my FAVORITE! You need:
Pre-cut frozen flaky dough squares (the 10 in a pack)
Baking Apples
Good Quality Parve Chocolate

You peel and core apples and then cut in half. Take and flaky fough square and put half of apple inside and top with 1 square of chocolate. Bring all corners together (pinch tightly) and brush square with egg. Bake at 350 till golden brown. This is soooooooo easy and delicous. The chocolate melts together with apple and its sooo good.

Tefila

Post Mon, Oct 10 2005, 9:47 pm
Quote:
This is soooooooo easy and delicous. The chocolate melts together with apple and its sooo good.

And thatsd the secret to staying slimnglam Smile Welcome and yep I'll try sarahd apple crisp and this 4 sure Tongue Out

shanie5

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 12:17 am
ill offer pumpkin cake- ill post if anyone intersted.

another is "rigliachi" time consuming, but can be made in steps, and not hard. it starts w/ a choc cake (I use duncan hines mix cuz the cake dont matter much. next is a layer of sweetened whipped cream. then topped w/ a melted choc that oozes. its kept in freezer, so can be made well in advance. will post if requested

simple and easy dessert: slice of cake, dollop of whipped cream, defrosted frozen sliced strawberries

peach cobbler.

apple, cherry or any pie made w/ canned pie filling.

if you eat nuts- pecan pie is easy and yummy

pepperidge farm makes turnovers that all you have to do is bake. find it in the freezer/dessert section in most groceries

Post Tue, Oct 11 2005, 1:30 pm
what about a regular chocolate cake- you can put on a white glaze or chocolote frosting.
if you do the apple pie- serve it warm! yum! especially w/ ice cream, but I know you're not looking for anymore ice cream.
pareve cheesecake?
I have a chocolate chip cake recipe somewhere.
kosher pallette has a yummy "better than drake's coffee cake"

sarahd

Post Sat, Oct 29 2005, 5:55 pm
shani5 - can I have that rigliachi recipe? Sounds good!

willow

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 2:03 am
If you are looking for cheap, easy and refreshing desserts try fruit soup or fresh fruit salad. Frelich I know you did not want a fruit platter but these are not platters Very Happy

youngmom

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 4:50 am
anyone interested in a fruit compote/jello mix. it's really delicous and not hard to make.

lucky

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 8:37 am
This Friday I found out late afternoon that a friend was having a get-together. I wanted to send something nice for dessert, so this is what I made.

Take pre-cut frozen flaky dough squares. Cut each square in four.
Bake the tiny squares until puffed and golden. When it is still warm, cut a small slit on one side, fill with custard(I bought ready made in the grocery.)
Dust with confection sugar.

shanie5

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 9:50 am
rigliachi:

1- start w/ a thin chocolate cake (I use a duncan heins mix and divide the batter int 2 pans)

2- 8 oz of richs whip (or any nondairy whip)
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla
whip till thick, pour over cake, smooth and freeze

3- 3 eggs
2/3 cup confectioners sugar
beat 10-15 minutes w/ mixer.

1 1/4 cups chocolate bits
3 1/2 tblsp cocoa
2 tblsp oil
melt together. blend into egg mixture. pour over frozen cream. freeze again. take out about 20 minutes before serving. (ofr the cake will be too frozen to eat.)

for pesach, I make this w/ pesach choc cake recipe-and everybody loves it!

TzenaRena

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 10:09 am
shanie, I assume your chocolate cake is baked first, before you add the toppings. tell me if otherwise.

For Shabbos we were back to apple compote for dessert and it came out great, without any sugar added. I put in very little water, so the sweet apple flavor is undiluted. This time I mixed cortlandt and macintosh apples, with cinnamon and golden raisins (not important which kind, but maybe the flavor was better this time.) Sometimes I put in cinnamon sticks. Simple and delicious, served cold.

shanie5

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 10:50 am
yes sarayehudis, the choc cake is baked first Very Happy
although, your comment put some ideas in my mind. hmmmm

micki

Post Sun, Oct 30 2005, 7:28 pm
how about slice strawberries. add strawberry jello and chill.
add container of whipped dessert and mix well.
pour into baked graham crust and either refrig or freeze.
really yummy and fast.

sarahd

Post Mon, Oct 31 2005, 8:39 am
Thanks for the recipe, shanie. Maybe one day I will have enough room in my freezer to actually slide a cake inside and freeze it.

debz123

Post Mon, Oct 31 2005, 6:28 pm
how about ambrosia (I don't know the recipe, just tasted it by someones house and it was delicious, maybe someone else knows?)

another delicious desert is pecan pie (great recipe on the back of Karo corn syrup)

or pareve cheese cake?

or even - really simple - cut fruits up into chunks (ex: stawberries, pineapple, kiwi) and mix with whipped desert topping.

klotzkashe

Post Tue, Nov 01 2005, 5:40 am
sticky date pudding - look on www.cooks.com for an easy recipe. you can make tons of them in little aluminium pans and just take out however many u need form the freezer - microwave/oven(covered) and serve with icecream adn butterscotch sauce.

chocolate mousse cake p. 473 in purple spice and spirit is always a hit and is YUM. and if you take frozen mangoes or fresh and just puree them into a syrup pour that on top with strawberries ands some whipped cream.

honey cake that is very moist can also be cut up and heated and served like pudduings.

I had a chocolate peanut butter pie at someone's house - don't know the recipe but itw as FANTASTIC

andddddddd to enhance any of your desserts - put 1 cup (or more) of sugar in a pot on the stove - continuously stir for 15-20 mins until the sugar melt snad becomes really clear and syrupy. pour in nuts - either slivered or flaked almonds or whatever and then pour intoa greased jelly roll pan. when set break up by hitting it hard with a metal spoon.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics