Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
5yo daughter asked who is Hashem...

fbc

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 2:09 pm
I explained we can't see Him, He is everywhere- all that. So she wants to know, is He the Torah, is He shabbos, is He Mashiach? I explain that no, He gave us the Torah as a present, Hashem created the day of shabbos, mashiach will be a person who brings us back to EY IYH. And I tell her that even as adults we don't totally understand Who Hashem is. Anything else I can tell her inquisitive mind? Are there any kids books about this? Not Hashem is here, she gets that He is everywhere, she wants to know Who it is that's everywhere? Such a hard concept!

sequoia

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 2:11 pm
The Creator of everything...

hodeez

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 2:13 pm
Same story here. Who made Hashem, can Hashem see Himself... These kids are so inquisitive bh

fbc

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 2:15 pm
sequoia wrote:
The Creator of everything...

She knows that. It's more the concept of what does He look like. How can He give us a present if He doesn't have hands? See us if He doesn't have eyes, hear us if no ears, how He spoke to neviim if no mouth? She can picture shabbos, picture Torah, but in a kids logical mind it's hard to tell her we can't really picture Hashem!

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 2:15 pm
He's also the most loving, caring Tatty/Abba/Daddy for the whole world and everyone in it.

fbc

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 2:19 pm
hodeez wrote:
Same story here. Who made Hashem, can Hashem see Himself... These kids are so inquisitive bh

Yes! Makes me so proud, but makes me realize how much I still have to learn💞

fbc

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 2:22 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
He's also the most loving, caring Tatty/Abba/Daddy for the whole world and everyone in it.

That's a nice idea too! Although she knows that, because she keeps telling us "totty, you're really my brother. Mommy, you're really my sister. Cuz if Hashem is our totty, we are brothers and sisters!" I love her logic🤩
I think it's more the look that she's asking about. How do you explain that He doesn't "look" like anything in particular. At least, not anything we can imagine anyway!

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 2:27 pm
fbc wrote:
That's a nice idea too! Although she knows that, because she keeps telling us "totty, you're really my brother. Mommy, you're really my sister. Cuz if Hashem is our totty, we are brothers and sisters!" I love her logic🤩
I think it's more the look that she's asking about. How do you explain that He doesn't "look" like anything in particular. At least, not anything we can imagine anyway!

So, I remember asking my mom what G-d looked like when I was around that age.

I think she answered "Hmm, I don't know. What do you think He looks like?"

And I answered that I thought he looked like an old man with a beard and long white flowing hair, but he was G-d....and we just let it be. I think she just said "hmm. I don't know."

So, you could make it a discussion where you ask her what she thinks and admit you don't know. There's value in that.

I can think of some ideas to explain it but I can't yet think of a way to bring it down for a 5 yo.

fbc

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 2:34 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
So, I remember asking my mom what G-d looked like when I was around that age.

I think she answered "Hmm, I don't know. What do you think He looks like?"

And I answered that I thought he looked like an old man with a beard and long white flowing hair, but he was G-d....and we just let it be. I think she just said "hmm. I don't know."

So, you could make it a discussion where you ask her what she thinks and admit you don't know. There's value in that.

I can think of some ideas to explain it but I can't yet think of a way to bring it down for a 5 yo.

I really like this. Thank you!

mha3484

Post Tue, Aug 10 2021, 2:35 pm
There is a picture book called the Invisible book. I think its Hachai. My kids really liked it at that age.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics