Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Lakewood girls HS... I want to cry :(
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 7:32 pm
I've been following the other thread with the imas whose daughters still aren't in school and I just.... Surprised Can't Believe It How is it possible for a community to fail its girls like this? Not just once but every. single. year.
And then they wonder why so many kids go off the derech? like DUH. Their community just slapped these girls in the face and told them they weren't wanted.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 7:33 pm
And don't give me blah blah there's no real solution.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 8:59 pm
So what is yours?

If there is a solution what is it?

amother
Slateblue

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 9:00 pm
I agree it’s horrible. But really they can not keep up with the growth. I mean people have been saying this for years and people just keep moving here. What are they supposed to do? Every time I see more houses being built, I’m just like - seriously?! It seems new elementary schools are popping up all over the place, but for some reason it’s not the same with high schools. I’m not sure why.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Aug 29 2021, 9:01 pm
The solution is to open more high schools.

But that is very expensive as HS needs many different teachers + lost of extra curricular.

But this is Pikuach Nefesh and Kiruv Rechokim as these rejected girls are high risk of OTD.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 3:42 pm
What if instead of people building bigger and bigger houses every year and buying fancier cars and more expensive eternity bands, they put some of that money back into their community? If not new schools, then donate to the old schools so they can expand and have more girls?
Radical, I know.
But why is nobody fundraising for this? Is our chinuch habanos- the literal LIVES of these girls- less important than any other cause?
Believe me, if it was the daughters of the so-called 'vaad' not getting into schools, they would be all over this.

amother
Firebrick

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 3:44 pm
It’s so sad what I don’t understand is if they are all the sudden able to pull something off in September why can’t they do that by May June?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 3:46 pm
amother [ Firebrick ] wrote:
It’s so sad what I don’t understand is if they are all the sudden able to pull something off in September why can’t they do that by May June?

Yeah, this too

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 3:47 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
What if instead of people building bigger and bigger houses every year and buying fancier cars and more expensive eternity bands, they put some of that money back into their community? If not new schools, then donate to the old schools so they can expand and have more girls?
Radical, I know.
But why is nobody fundraising for this? Is our chinuch habanos- the literal LIVES of these girls- less important than any other cause?
Believe me, if it was the daughters of the so-called 'vaad' not getting into schools, they would be all over this.

Have you been to lakewood ever? No one has fancy cars or eternity bands. People aren't really renovating most houses are built by builders who then sell them so you buy what's available at the moment. And people do pour money into the community in many ways. School is still an issue but not for the reasons you think.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 3:57 pm
This has nothing to do with anyone’s eternity band.

amother
Impatiens

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 4:03 pm
amother [ Lightgray ] wrote:
Have you been to lakewood ever? No one has fancy cars or eternity bands. People aren't really renovating most houses are built by builders who then sell them so you buy what's available at the moment. And people do pour money into the community in many ways. School is still an issue but not for the reasons you think.

We must be from a different side of town. Where I live people are growing money in their backyards. Come visit!

amother
Celeste

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 4:08 pm

Have you been to Lakewood ever? Because you really don't know what's going on in Lakewood, Toms River, Jackson... There are mansions going up all over and plenty of fancy cars. My brother lives in a very yeshivish newish area and you can count the houses on your fingers that haven't been renovated and enlarged. B"H Lakewood is booming. Could be people's first priority isn't giving to girls schools as people feel they are already paying tuition...but other Chessed organization are supported generously by the community.

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 4:09 pm
I think that after a mikva, this should be the next important thing to fundraise for

amother
Lightgray

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 4:11 pm
amother [ Celeste ] wrote:
Have you been to Lakewood ever? Because you really don't know what's going on in Lakewood, Toms River, Jackson... There are mansions going up all over and plenty of fancy cars. My brother lives in a very yeshivish newish area and you can count the houses on your fingers that haven't been renovated and enlarged. B"H Lakewood is booming. Could be people's first priority isn't giving to girls schools as people feel they are already paying tuition...but other Chessed organization are supported generously by the community.

Yeah I live here. Do you?

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 4:11 pm

We must live in very different parts of Lakewood.

amother
Oxfordblue

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 4:13 pm

I feel like sometimes people living in Lakewood too long can't see what happened to the gashmiyus obsession in it.

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 4:14 pm

I live here too. Lakewood is catching up really quickly with the consumer upper class Jewish society....

I'm not against people spending their money as they please, gezunteheit. I AM against prioritizing absolutely everything before our daughters' chinuch.

Ema of 5

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 4:24 pm
I don’t live in Lakewood, so maybe I shouldn’t comment, but I’ll give my two cents anyway. The problem is two-fold. Parents only want “certain” schools, and schools only want “certain” kids. Many of the schools in Lakewood are “in the box” type of schools. They won’t take a girl if the mother wears nail polish, or leggings, or no socks/stockings, etc. Ant of course parents only want to send to the best schools. The issue that I see is that any school that’s not an “in the box” school is automatically looked at as lesser than, even when it would really be a great fit for so many people.
My friend in a different community was telling me how in her community, every child- boy and girl- needs to apply to three schools. Every child is guaranteed to get into one of those schools. Yes, it’s a smaller community, but they make it work.

amother
Stonewash

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 4:29 pm
Op you inspired me. I’m going to look into donating to this new school.
You are right. Until now I’ve been viewing it as , well I pay my tuition so all schools should have their parent body pay up. But you’re right- it’s a community responsibility to make sure there are no korbanos in the form of sweet young girls being humiliated like this.

amother
Clear

Post Mon, Aug 30 2021, 4:30 pm
Ema of 4 wrote:
I don’t live in Lakewood, so maybe I shouldn’t comment, but I’ll give my two cents anyway. The problem is two-fold. Parents only want “certain” schools, and schools only want “certain” kids. Many of the schools in Lakewood are “in the box” type of schools. They won’t take a girl if the mother wears nail polish, or leggings, or no socks/stockings, etc. Ant of course parents only want to send to the best schools. The issue that I see is that any school that’s not an “in the box” school is automatically looked at as lesser than, even when it would really be a great fit for so many people.
My friend in a different community was telling me how in her community, every child- boy and girl- needs to apply to three schools. Every child is guaranteed to get into one of those schools. Yes, it’s a smaller community, but they make it work.

Maybe this was the problem twenty years ago, but that horse has LONG since left the barn.

I have made numerous posts explaining the problems here and I'm just tired of explaining.

But yes, here in Lakewood they do have to apply to a minimum of three high schools (I think Bais Shaindel is not counted as one) and the high schools really DO stretch to take in all kinds of girls that they would not necessarily have taken. And this is not necessarily ideal, vihameiven yavin.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics