Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Would you wear a $5,000 dollar watch?
  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:29 pm
Would you purchase a name brand $5K watch?
Why yes, or why not?
If you see someone wearing one, would you think they are comfortable financially? or would you think its more than that?

Im in the process of buying one, and was wondering what people would think.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:34 pm
When I see people wearing such things I think that they’ve wasted their $$. Sorry, my mom wears a Rolex and I tell her the same thing.

hodeez

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:35 pm
Honestly I would think you did some canal street shopping

amother
Pansy

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:36 pm
lol I just bought a 250ish dollar shabbos watch and I thought that was expensive 😂

scruffy

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:36 pm
Enjoy it in good health!

(Not something I would ever buy for myself nor can I afford it Smile)

Stars

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:37 pm
I don’t wear watches because they bother my wrist but even if I would I wouldn’t wear a 5k or even 1k or even $200 one. It’s just not something I have ever wished for.

amother
Tomato

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:39 pm
I happen to have a $9,500 gold Tiffany watch. I wear it for special occasions but not for regular shabbos. People make assumptions but honestly, it depends on your personal socioeconomic status. If expensive jewelry is something in your budget, then who cares what others think? I also drive an audi, don't think twice about buying a pair of $900 boots for work and spend for first class... see a theme here? My friends are not in my financial situation but they don't judge. It's not a competition. If it was, I probably wouldn't engage. I own things that fit my lifestyle and can afford. Big difference from someone getting a one-time amazing piece of jewelry. If that was me, I would wear it more and comfortably because it's that special. So basically, it depends on you and where you are holding in life.

notshanarishona

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would you purchase a name brand $5K watch?
Why yes, or why not?
If you see someone wearing one, would you think they are comfortable financially? or would you think its more than that?

Im in the process of buying one, and was wondering what people would think.

If they told me, I would probably think they are either a millionaire or a spendthrift. I would have no way of differentiating between a $100 watch and a $5000 one so I probably wouldn’t even notice if the price wasn’t mentioned .

challahchallah

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:41 pm
I would not wear one because I’m not into name brands and it’s just not my thing. I also don’t know enough to notice if someone else is wearing one.

However, if you can afford it and you’ll enjoy it, I hope you wear it in good health. You look at your hands all day long, so if it will make you happy every time you look down and it’s in your budget, I say go for it.

amother
Heather

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:41 pm
I got such a watch as my kallah watch and wear it on Shabbos. I used to wear it during the week as well but had to switch to a digital watch to track my heartbeat. If you can afford it, wear it and wear it in good health! I would not think you went shopping on canal street, I would think you had an occasion to buy such a beautiful watch!

amother
Mintgreen

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:43 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
When I see people wearing such things I think that they’ve wasted their $$. Sorry, my mom wears a Rolex and I tell her the same thing.

I agree 100%.

I wouldn't necessarily think the wearer is rich - I would need more information for that. Plenty of non-rich people spend the little money they have this way.

I really, really don't see the point in expensive watches or jewelry, even if you are wealthy. But that's me.

amother
Ballota

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:44 pm
No. Even if I could afford it, I wouldn't want the pressure of $5,000 on my arm. I need the freedom.

Last edited by amother on Tue, Aug 31 2021, 4:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
Lime

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:45 pm
I definitely wouldn’t look at it and make assumptions about that persons financial situation. A watch is jewelry in my opinion, it’s no different than someone splurging for a nice bracelet or necklace. Also personally, 5k to me on a watch is really not that crazy (depending on what you can afford)

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 3:46 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:

It happens to be that certain brand name watches (including Rolex) hold their resale value extremely well. My husband bought a slightly used Rolex for around 7k and can sell it for that much, if not more, today - many year after the purchase. My watch also cost more than 5k but I wear it rarely.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 4:05 pm
Not even if I won it in a raffle or got it as a gift.

I wouldn’t think anything about s/o wearing one because I don’t appraise the value of what people are wearing, driving in, or carrying. I’m not impressed by such things. Unless I were close enough to read “Rolex” on the face, I wouldn’t know it from a Romex cable. Conspicuous consumption merely tells me that the individual has a lot of money, or wishes to appear as if he has a lot of money, and doesn’t mind flaunting it. (Who’s to say that that $5000 watch is paid for? The individual wearing it could be tens of thousands of dollars in debt with no way to pay it back. What’s impressive about that? )

I’m far more impressed with people I know are wealthy who nevertheless keep a low profile when it comes to material things. Hatznea leches sn’t about hemlines, kwim?

The simple Timex which I bought on a phenomenal clearance sale for about $20 about 20 years ago, keeps excellent time, is easy to read, and doesn’t make me a tempting target for thieves. I adore it.

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 4:06 pm
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
It happens to be that certain brand name watches (including Rolex) hold their resale value extremely well. My husband bought a slightly used Rolex for around 7k and can sell it for that much, if not more, today - many year after the purchase. My watch also cost more than 5k but I wear it rarely.

I’m well aware about the resale value, thanks, I just think spending money in this manner is obscene. My mother can well afford that Rolex, and I certainly don’t want her $$, but I’d me more impressed if she wore a Timex and donated the rest of the money to tzedeka.

cupcake123

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 4:07 pm
For me personally I dont notice brands. But if I were to somehow know that it's a fancy name brand 5000 dollar watch I would just think wow and move on.

losingweight

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 4:08 pm
If the watch is pretty, who cares how much you paid. If it's not, dont even drop $5.00 for it. Everyone should be allowed to shop jewelry they can afford without caring what the neighbors think. Also, either you'll have it, or you'll spend it on your sons kallah.

amother
Bluebell

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 4:09 pm
I would wear it were it a gift or prize. And would just insure it. And I don't care what any one else chooses to do.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 4:11 pm
Why is it different than a $10k diamond ring? Or a 10k eternity band?

Why wouldn’t you wear it. If it fits into your lifestyle- enjoy it in good health.

Only saying this Bec no one can know who I am. I’m a simple person, don’t wear designer clothes or shoes but walk around with about $20k of jewelry every day. I’m married for 5 years.

My husband loves jewelry and loves when I wear it and I couldn’t give two hoots what someone thinks about it.
Page 1 of 6   1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics