Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Would you wear a $5,000 dollar watch?
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Khaki

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 9:40 pm
In my chassidush circles in Brooklyn many chosson and kalas get expensive $5000 watches

abaker

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 9:48 pm
Can someone post a pic of a $5,000 watch? Literally never thought of it. I would be scared to lose it.

amother
Violet

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 9:53 pm
Anyone have the JLC Reverso? I’ve been wavering for a year now, can’t decide if I should bite the bullet!!

amother
Dill

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 10:03 pm
how do people even have the money to buy a 500$ watch??

I guess im saying this bc both dh and I are unemployed (starting to work october) but even together we'll only make about 7k a month. we have 1 small baby at home and I worry about the future. oh well. maybe speech therapists will start getting paid more one day.

wear ur watch in good health! my mother has a cartier and I love it! hope to get one when I can start making more $$

vintagebknyc

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 10:33 pm
amother [ Mustard ] wrote:
If it’s insured what’s to worry?

Sentimental value. Insurance can’t replace that piece of it.

amother
Vermilion

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 10:40 pm
I honestly wouldnt notice if someone was wearing a fancy watch and never even thought about such a thing. I thought my $150 coach watch (or something like that) which was a chanukah gift was fancy...

but if you have the money and want to spend it. go for it! not judging you but also really truly not noticing.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Tue, Aug 31 2021, 11:57 pm
I wear over $20k of Jewelry daily. It’s all milestone jewelry and very precious to me. I would love a $5k watch (Cartier) so I’m waiting for the next milestone (probably my 30th).

I don’t care what people think. I’m not looking to show off, I just love jewelry.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:00 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Would you purchase a name brand $5K watch?
Why yes, or why not?
If you see someone wearing one, would you think they are comfortable financially? or would you think its more than that?

Im in the process of buying one, and was wondering what people would think.

I would and I know a few people who do.
They are definitely comfortable financially, or plain rich. One of them is not very rich but just like to show off.

Whenever I feel uncomfortable wearing something very expensive I remind myself that I wear a couple thousand dollars on my head every day to work - aka sheitel. We do own and wear expensive items. This will be another one of them.

camp123

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:10 am
In all honesty

I would never notice how much its worth.

But, if I did
I would think you had missplaced values and were just an example of how American materialism had influenced our culture.

I would probably also pity you.

And, I can also afford it, but, money should be used wisely and considerately.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:24 am
camp123 wrote:
In all honesty

I would never notice how much its worth.

But, if I did
I would think you had missplaced values and were just an example of how American materialism had influenced our culture.

I would probably also pity you.

And, I can also afford it, but, money should be used wisely and considerately.

LOL to American.

Recently went on vacation to Europe and was very underdressed.
All the Israelis were dripping in diamonds and Louis Vuitton, all in lace wigs.
All frum.

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Why yes, or why not?
If you see someone wearing one, would you think they are comfortable financially? or would you think its more than that?

Im in the process of buying one, and was wondering what people would think.

If it could be identified as a $5,000 watch, then absolutely not.
When I see people wearing such items, I think they must be either rolling in money or have more money than brains, or be so into externals that they don't care if they have money for something.

I wonder how they react if their child scratches the watch, breaks it, or if it gets lost. How badly they explode and how abusive they act towards their kids if their kids aren't angelically careful about and around the item.

I would think that anyone wearing such a watch and not to a high-powered event like a White House meeting or meeting Queen Elizabeth, is taking a risk and drawing unnecessary attention to themselves...possibly for the express purpose of being noticed.

Hey I'm judgy but you did ask.

If I was gifted a $5k watch, I would sell it and put the money either into savings or into something we've really wanted. Actually, it would be almost exactly enough to "pay myself back" for what we took out of savings for something that I didn't want to do. So I'd see it as Hashem telling me I did the right thing and paying me back for the expense.

amother
Bisque

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:32 am
DH has a watch that’s very expensive. He received it from his parents, it was his grandfathers whom he is named after. They felt it was right to pass it on to him.

He wears it on shabbos and I don’t care about the worth, I like how it looks, and it holds meaning for him.

To all those saying they’d sell it they probably never thought of a scenario where a watch would be passed down from a deceased family member. How could you just sell such a thing?

My parents were (and are still) in a huge debt when we got engaged. My father basically had to take tzedakah to cover out side. My father offered to buy DH a watch and he refused.

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:42 am
amother [ Bisque ] wrote:
DH has a watch that’s very expensive. He received it from his parents, it was his grandfathers whom he is named after. They felt it was right to pass it on to him.

He wears it on shabbos and I don’t care about the worth, I like how it looks, and it holds meaning for him.

To all those saying they’d sell it they probably never thought of a scenario where a watch would be passed down from a deceased family member. How could you just sell such a thing?

My parents were (and are still) in a huge debt when we got engaged. My father basically had to take tzedakah to cover out side. My father offered to buy DH a watch and he refused.

OP said she was looking into a purchase.

You seem defensive. Is the watch something that could be purchased today? If its age is somehow obvious (wear, style, etc.) then of course that's what people will assume when they see it, that it was passed down, especially if he received it as a teen or single bochur.

amother
Magnolia

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:49 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
Sentimental value. Insurance can’t replace that piece of it.

Yeah, the bracelet DH got me for our engagement is sitting in my closet. Its clasp came loose one Shabbos and it fell off me. BH we were at home and found it and fixed it, but I won't wear it outside anymore. It's only worth $400 (and he paid $150 on sale) but to me it is worth much more than that.

amother
Lemonlime

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:52 am
Hiding I just ordered 2 watches for something like $ 5 on Shein...
And I wouldn't wear a $ 5000 dollar watch even if I could afford it. I'd be constantly worried that it gets lost or broken. Why add worries to my life?

amother
Amaranthus

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 12:53 am
I personally would not wear a $5,000 watch, but I drive a $20K+ car, have a $300 smartwatch, and a $4,000 laptop. People spend on things that enable them to serve Hashem better. If a watch makes you happy every day and therefore makes you a better wife and mother, I think that's an excellent investment. (And it will likely outlast the $4,000 shaitel, and my laptop.)

DrMom

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 1:00 am
Title: "Would you wear a $5,000 dollar watch?"

amother [ OP ] wrote:

If someone bought be a $5k watch, I'd wear it (assuming it wasn't too gaudy), but I can't see buying one for myself.

I know there are those who really admire and are willing to pay for sophisticated Swiss mechanical watches with complex tourbillon mechanisms and who really admire the workmanship and engineering that goes into crafting such watches. Others like watches made from gold and encrusted with diamonds.

Some luxury watches are very nice (I like the sleek minimalism of Movado).

But there are so many really beautiful watches to be had for a few hundred dollars or less (sometimes far less), that I see no reason to pay $5k for a watch.

Chana Miriam S

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 1:07 am
I have a platinum and diamond watch that was willed to me by my grandmother. It’s spent most of its life with me in a safe deposit box. We recently got it working again and now it’s sitting in my home safe.

Funny, we use her China for every Shabbat (apparently more than she ever did,) but the watch just seems so, well, loseable.

amother
Catmint

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 1:13 am
I wouldn't if it could be identified as such.

My mil gave me a purse that costs thousands of dollars and I never used it. I don't want people to think I can afford that and I don't want people thinking I'm materialistic or getting jealous.

moonstone

Post Wed, Sep 01 2021, 1:23 am
I think spending $5000 on a watch is an obscene waste of money.

amother [ Khaki ] wrote:
In my chassidush circles in Brooklyn many chosson and kalas get expensive $5000 watches

That's ridiculous that this is a community standard. That $5000 could be spent on something much more useful. Again- an obscene waste of money.
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics