Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Recipe ideas
1  2  3  Next

Tamiri

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 5:15 am
Cheese Kugel
2 packages farmer cheese (or cottage cheese or in Israel Tvorog, 1/2 kg)
1 pint sour cream (can use 1/2 yogurt)
5 eggs or 4 jumbo
1 1/2 cups matza meal
2 1/2 cups milk
1 cup sugar (or a little less)
flavoring: lemon juice, vanilla...

Mix all ingredients together. our into 9x13" pan (mixture will be liquidy). Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 350F for one hour or until knife tests clean.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
1 cup oil
1 cup sugar
1 3/4 cups cake meal
1/2 cup matza meal
2 eggs
chocolate chips

Beat the eggs. Add the rest of the ingredients. Roll into 1" balls. Bake at 350F for 20-30 minutes.

Applesauce Matza Kugel
3 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla (optional)
3/4 to 1 cup sugar
6 matzas
2 cups applesauce

Preheat oven to 350F and grease a 9x9 inch baking pan. Crumble matza into a colander. Run under water and drain. In a bowl, beat together eggs, cinnamon, vanilla and sugar. Add matza and mix well. Spread half of matza mixture on the bottom of the prepared pan. Pour applesauce over the top and then put the remaining matza mixture over the tiopof the applesauce. Dot the top of the kugel with butter or margarine, and sprinkle a little cinnamon sugar on the top. Bake at 350F for 40-45 minutes.

Lemony Potatoes and Scallions (6 servings)
2 lb small red new potatoes
2 Tablespoons olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 cups chicken broth
2 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper
1/2 cup finely chopped scallions

Peel the potatoes and place in a bowl of water so they don't discolor.
Heat the oil in a large skillet that has a cover, over medium-high heat. Dry to potatoes and add them. Cook for several minutes to coat the potatoes with oil. Lower the heat and add garlic, broth, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Cover the skillet tightly and simmer slowly until the potatoes are tender when pierced with the point of a knife, around 25 minutes. Check the potatoes from time to time to make sure they aren't sticking.
Remove potatoes from the skillet. Increase the heat and boil the cooking liquid, uncovered until it's reduced and somewhat thickened. Add the scallions and cook a minute or so longer, then pour over potatoes and serve.

Roasted Carrots with Garlic (4 servings)
1 1/2 lbs. large carrots (3-4), peeled and sliced on the diagonal, about 3/4 inch thick
4 cloves garlic, sliced
2 Tablespoons oil
salt and pepper
1 Tablespoon chopped cilantro leaves
1 Tablespoon chopped Italian parsley leaves

Preheat oven to 425F
Put the carrots in a baking dish that will hold them snugly in a single layer. Add garlic, oil, salt and pepper, cilantro and parsley and toss all the ingredients together to mix well.
Rearrange the carrots in a single layer, then put the dish in the oven and roast until the carrots are tender and beginning to brown, which takes about 40 minutes. Turn the carrots once during roasting so they cook evenly. Serve hot or room temp.

Mac and Cheese Pesach Style 6-8 servings
3 large eggs
3 1/2 cups farfel or 6 whole matzot in small pieces
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
8 oz cheddar cheese, cut into 2" pieces
1 pint sour cream
1 stick butter cut into 16 pieces

Preheat the oven to 350F. In a medium bowl, lightly beat 2 of the eggs and mix in the fargel or broken matzot.
In a 4 cup measure or blender, beat the remaining egg with the milk, salt and pepper.
Grease or spray 2 qt. rectangular casserole. Place half of the fargel mixture and half of the cheese in the casserole. Add half the sour cream, distributing it in dollops evenly on the surface, then half of the butter pieces. make a second layer in the same fashion. Pour the milk mixture on top.
Cover; bake 30 minutes. Uncover and bake another 10-15 minutes until brown.

Cucumber-Yogurt Soup with Fresh Dill 4 servings
32 oz. plain low-fat yogurt
2 large seedless cukes, peeled and coarsly grated (3 cups)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Tablespoon chopped fresh Dill
2 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt plus more to taste
2 cups water

Place the yogurt in a paper towel or cheese-cloth-lined sieve and let drain overnight (you will get yogurt cheese)
Stir together cukes, garlic, olive oil, dill and salt. Place drained yogurt in bowl and gradually whisk in the water until very smooth. Stir in the cukes.
Refrigerate until very cold. Thin with water if needed.

Turkish Eggplant Flan - 8 servings
4 lb. eggplant
9 oz. feta
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 cup matza meal
1 cup grated cheddar
5 Tablespoons oil

Preheat oven to 500F. Prick eggplants with fork. Place on baking sheet and bake, turning to prevent burning, for 45 minutes. Cool. Scoop out flesh into colander. Drain and press out juice, then chop the flesh with a knife and mash it with a fork.
Lower the oven temp to 350F. Mash feta. Add the eggs, matza meal, 5 Tablespoons cheddar and 4 Tablespoons oil. Beat well.
Add the mashed eggplant and mix. Pour the mixture into oiled baking dish, drizzle 1 Tablespoon oil over mixture and sprinkle with remaining cheddar. Bake 1 hour until lightly colored.

miriamnechama

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 9:13 am
wow... great ideas

Tamiri

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 9:15 am
If you eat gebrocks..... you can eat gourmet.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 9:35 am
I'm copy/pasting this to my blog for reference. I think I just found some of my Seder side-dishes.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Apr 06 2008, 9:42 am
Tell me if you want more, I have tons of reasonably easy inexpensive things to make.
Did you see my posting a while ago Antipasti? Easy to make for Pesach, colorful and not fattening. Also the dinner salad I posted Purim time - make in advance marinated salad with a crunch.
ANTIPASTI
I make a marinade of freshly squeezed lemons, olive oil, salt, granulated garlic and dried basil (not too much). Taste the marinade to make sure that it's delicious. Then, either soak the peppers (if you have time) or not (if you don't). Spread on a baking sheet lined with foil (less mess) and put into a preheated HOT oven, I guess what the others wrote 425 F sounds about right. I think you need to give them around 1/2 hour, check to see that they are doing nicely but not burning. Keep them in till they look done, not burnt.
You can add onion wedges, zuccini, sweet potato, a whole head of garlic... This is actually a Shabbat dish by us (peppers are expensive) and it looks marvelous on the table, laid out on a serving plate. Absolutely yum: sweetish pepper, with salty, tangy garlicky flavor. Divine.

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 2:36 am
Tamiri, I made the cheese kugel for lunch on Sunday and it was a huge hit with both the adults and the toddler Smile

I'm going to play with the recipe and maybe add chocolate chips next time Smile

grin

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 6:44 am
Tamiri wrote:

I think we also eat gourmet, with all freshly peeled, sliced and squeezed ingredients - we have quite a variety of tasty food to eat. If you have enough imagination, you can do a lot with whatever you have. It just takes us a lot more work to get there!

freidasima

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 10:35 am
Exactly Grin, I'm with you! Besides, think of all those matza calories that we are missing! I don't even eat matza during the week except shabbos...as I told dh, as no one eats it here we get away with three more pieces for lechem mishne and that's it. Haven't even finished the hand shmura we got for the seder...

grin

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 1:04 pm
actually, we make up the matzo calories by eating plenty of cake, chicken, and fried stuff. but don't forget, our matzo is much more expensive than chicken!

Marion

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 1:09 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
Tamiri, I made the cheese kugel for lunch on Sunday and it was a huge hit with both the adults and the toddler Smile

I'm going to play with the recipe and maybe add chocolate chips next time Smile

A HUGE hit with the toddler...I have to buy some ingredients tomorrow I think.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 1:25 pm
grin wrote:
Tamiri wrote:

I think we also eat gourmet, with all freshly peeled, sliced and squeezed ingredients - we have quite a variety of tasty food to eat. If you have enough imagination, you can do a lot with whatever you have. It just takes us a lot more work to get there!

Allow me to disagree..... There's potatoes, eggs, matzo and peelable vegetables. No garlic (for most of us not gebroktzers), basil (what a joke) or anything else.

So, Dahling, where exactly are our gourmet meals?

And Tamiri - THANKS FOR NOTHING. I had finally gotten "ok" with the non gebrokts thing and here you had to post all these mouth watering recipes.
Maybe I'll go have a hard boiled egg and some matza....oh yeah and maybe a piece of gefilte fish.

I was gonna say that I'm becoming my grandmother! But wait. She ate gebrokts! Well, come Isru chag and I'm going to fry me up a nice batch of MATZO BREI!!!

Basil. Indeed. Harumph.

grin

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 1:37 pm
try grated potato and zucchini kugel, mashed potato kugel, ratatouei (sp?), chicken w/potatoes in olive oil with onions, zucchini and potato starch patties, fish in lemon sauce, chocolate cake, sponge carrot cake, potato salad w/home-made mayo, meringue cookies, etc, etc.
what could be better? and the fresh salads (also fruit)!
You'll just have to come over sometime to taste it all.
(I grew up eating gebroks and don't miss it at all - we have more variety than them)

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 1:57 pm
Today I tried to make chremslach for my kids. Basically I cooked the potatoes, mashed them, mixed them with egg yolks and STIFF egg whites. Then I fried them up. My kids hated them. They won't go near zucchini or eggplant or anything else. They won't eat any of that stuff.

Basically, if it ain't dried cereal or macaroni you can forget it...

Just about the only thing most of them will eat is chicken (B"H for that!)

grin

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 2:03 pm
oh. Confused
do you let them smear stuff on their matzo? maybe they would just prefer plain omelettes?

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 2:13 pm
Not only do I let them smear stuff on their matzo, dh lets them eat matzo in milk! So, there's always that. Otherwise it's chocolate spread on matza Mad

One of my kids likes leben so there's always that. The problem is that they just want to eat potato chips when they're hungry and those are expensive! (to say nothing of unhealthy)

Tamiri

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 2:19 pm
How about slicing up sweet and regular potatoes, drizzling olive oil and salt and baking them in a hot over until they look like chips.

grin

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 2:41 pm
Tamiri wrote:
How about slicing up sweet and regular potatoes, drizzling olive oil and salt and baking them in a hot over until they look like chips.

yeah, we do that too - homemade potato chips.
or the old standby - gvina levana on matzo.

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 3:25 pm
Ok. It's only Monday and already have potatoes coming out of my ears....
We'll get through it.
Thanks.
p.s. I can't even give my kids tuna because the tuna is in water and they won't eat tuna with mayo, God bless them.

grin

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 3:33 pm
well, we don't even buy tuna on Pesach and the only thing they put on matzo is their eggs. but boy, are your kids picky!
mine eat whatever we cook, B"H

freidasima

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 3:36 pm
And what about those kids who hate matzo?! Tonight I made potato latkes and sweet potato latkes, and dh and I had leftovers..and tomorrow we will have seder/yuntif leftovers and so on until Thursday when we will have eggs.
Just like a normal week.
Baruch hashem for leftovers.
Lunch? Gefilte fish and salad and fruit.
How about a meal of ice cream and fruit? Freeze a "carlo" halfway and it is like ice cream, cut up a banana, peel an apple and a pear and cut them up, and pour the carlo on it.
If you have enough fruit and enough "carlo" it's almost a meal...
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics