Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Another name for Avraham

jzmom

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 2:10 pm
My oldest son has Avraham as a middle name after my uncle. If the current baby is a boy I wanted to name him after a different Avraham, a very special cousin. Any suggestions?

Thanks

louche

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 2:21 pm
IIRC eitan was one of the names of avraham avinu . or was that moshe? well anyway, the avot are called "eitanim" so eitan would encompass all the avot.

too bad you're not asking about moshe, who had a whole laundry list of aliases.

if you just want to call him Avi, there are almost as many names starting with Avithis and Avithat as there are starting with Elithis and Elithat. (doesn't that sound like an Indian deity, Avithisandavithat?)

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 2:22 pm
But it's the same name !

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 2:33 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
But it's the same name !

Not sure what you're commenting on...

Tzipporah and Feige are the same name.

Eitan and Avraham (if Eitan was indeed an alternative name for Avraham) is like Yisroel and Yaakov - same person, but different names.

louche

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 2:44 pm
I don't know where to look this up, but in the simchas torah machzor in the various piyyutim they say during hakkafot, like Mi hu zeh veeizeh hu, there is one that lists a bunch of names including yekutiel and avigdor. those are moshe's aliases. if eitan is there, then it's moshe's and not avraham's. sorry it's kind of convoluted but you should be able to find it. You won't find moshe's or avraham's names on that website that gives you lists of ten things like 10 ways you can tell you're on a shidduch date or 10 ways to tell you went to camp bnos.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 2:49 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
Tzipporah and Feige are the same name.

Eitan and Avraham (if Eitan was indeed an alternative name for Avraham) is like Yisroel and Yaakov - same person, but different names.

What am I missing here ?

BeershevaBubby

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 2:52 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
What am I missing here ?

You had said "it is the same name" without clarifying what you meant... 'it'? Avi, Eitan, Moshe?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 2:54 pm
jzmom wrote:
My oldest son has Avraham as a middle name after my uncle. If the current baby is a boy I wanted to name him after a different Avraham, a very special cousin. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Both name Avrohom.

jzmom

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 4:06 pm
I had heard about the Eitan connection but there are so many Eitans in my community I was looking for something else. Thank you for your suggestions, we will keep thinking.

freidasima

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 4:09 pm
You can try "Ram" which is short for "Rami" which is short for Avraham.

Hannah!

Post Mon, Apr 07 2008, 4:18 pm
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Sun, May 04 2008, 11:34 am; edited 1 time in total

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 2:00 pm
freidasima wrote:
You can try "Ram" which is short for "Rami" which is short for Avraham.

I don't think she's looking for a nickname in this thread...

freidasima

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 2:02 pm
In EY "Ram" is a real name, not a nickname!

Tamiri

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 2:06 pm
[quote="jzmom"]My oldest son has Avraham as a middle name after my uncle. If the current baby is a boy I wanted to name him after a different Avraham, a very special cousin. Any suggestions?

Thanks[/quote]

אביחי

Ruchel

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 3:52 pm
While Feiga and Tzippora have the same meaning, are often paired, and Tzipora is often named to modernize a Feiga, they can be shared by sisters or mother and daughter as they're not exactly the same!

In theory you can name your sons Yochanan David and Yochanan Eliyahu... although it would be weird... I actually have cousins, named (in the style of) Daniel Mordechai and Mordechai Daniel.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names