Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Non-Gebrokts Recipes
1  2  Next

sv9506

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 4:05 pm
Does anyone have any to suggest? I grew up eating gebrokts but my husband doesn't so I want to get some recipes. Thanks

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 4:24 pm
Buy a cookbook

flowerpower

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 4:27 pm
it would love some real successful ones too from people here. the cookbooks are good but if we know the ones that came out good well go with that

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 5:16 pm
I find tht cookbooks have real depth to them, using things in ways you'd never think to use. the purple newish lub one is excellent and only $22.

Quiet1

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 5:24 pm
I think people ask in order not to buy a cookbook...
I'm sorry I dont have a recipe, but just it would be nice to share on here.

sv9506

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 6:43 pm
chocolate moose - I guess if you are mentioning those specific cookbooks then they are non-gebrokts but I just saw that a lot of cookbooks had gebrokts recipes in them and I don't want that. Also I have so many regular cookbooks in my house that I NEVER use because the recipes are not really what I am looking for or what my husband will eat so I would really prefer not to buy another one.

My mil makes delicious non-gebrokt cakes (I am going to ask her for some recipes but she is the type not to cook from a recipe) that you just cannot find in a cookbook so I was hoping to get some homemade recipes.

Also does anyone have a recipe for non-gebrokts matza balls? My mil (she is great) made some special for me last year but they were not so great. I know that my friends mil makes amazing ones but she is the type to either give the wrong recipe or not give it at all.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 7:13 pm
sv9506 wrote:
chocolate moose - I guess if you are mentioning those specific cookbooks then they are non-gebrokts but I just saw that a lot of cookbooks had gebrokts recipes in them and I don't want that.

yes, the lub cookbook is non gebrokts. there are others, look in your judaica store.

red sea

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 7:13 pm
I think it was momof3 who posted some recipes last year that were excellent!!

bashinda

Post Tue, Apr 08 2008, 9:58 pm
it's more expensive but I've seen recipes for chicken balls instead of matzah balls. I'm tempted to try that this year.

sv9506

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 8:40 am
Bashinda - where have you seen it?

bashinda

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 8:52 am
I've seen it in the lubavitch cookbook and maybe the bina supplement had a recipe? I know I saw it two places. could be the enlitened cookbook. definitely the lubavitch cookbook has it though

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 10:34 am
I've made them.

eh.....

freidasima

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 10:44 am
I grew up non gebrokts and it's no problem. Desserts were the challenge, we had lots of merangues, pure sugar and egg whites, but for Lubavitch who don't use sugar that can be a problem...can you make it before pesach though when it is still permitted to use sugar?

Mevater

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 10:55 am
sv9506 wrote:
Also does anyone have a recipe for non-gebrokts matza balls?
This week's Binah has a recipe for chicken balls.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 11:23 am
freidasima wrote:
I grew up non gebrokts and it's no problem. Desserts were the challenge, we had lots of merangues, pure sugar and egg whites, but for Lubavitch who don't use sugar that can be a problem...can you make it before pesach though when it is still permitted to use sugar?

never got the hang of making meringues. we do without. no big whoop.

bashinda

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 12:36 pm
freidasima wrote:

some people don't use sugar at all. Not us. If I'm baking I bake with regular sugar before Pesach when you can mevatel things. After I use liquid sugar.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 1:56 pm
Oh, well, we use sugar throughout yomtov, wtihout boiling it first. DH says that's what they did in Beis HaRav.

Squash

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 2:09 pm
growing up we didn'tuse sugar at all. we had compote/apple sauce for dessert.

bashinda

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 2:18 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Oh, well, we use sugar throughout yomtov, wtihout boiling it first. DH says that's what they did in Beis HaRav.

The Rebbe didn't use sugar at all. What I heard last year was this was a tenai from the Friederker Rebbe when he got married to the Rebbetzin Chaya Mushka.

I think I heard he didn't have sugar from Rabbi Halberstam but can't remember where I heard about the tenai.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 2:53 pm
Oh, you know what BasHinda ? DH learned that they didn't boil sugar in Beis HaRav. THAT"S why we don't do it - cuz they didn't even use it !

I think you told me last year that they didn't use sugar at all. Egg on OUR face !!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics