Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Can anyone recommend a good Jewish music CD?
1  2  3  Next

mommalah

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 3:08 pm
Ok, here's the deal. My husband and I dislike Jewish music for personal reasons...I have maybe a few Cd's like Uncle moishy and some Chanukah and purim Cd's for the kids. But they're getting tired of them... I would like to try some new stuff but want to go on recommendations so as to avoid wasting a ton of money. I'm looking for something upbeat that the kids will enjoy, no music where a single word is drawn out seemingly forever or there is lots of whining and wailing. I'm looking for something fun for the kids and tolerable for me and my dh. I am not familiar with any of the Jewish music singers of today so if someone could recommend it would be greatly appreciated. TIA.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 3:58 pm
My friend in the States came and brought me a CD of Nochi Krohn. I think it's called "Ananim". It's mellow, with a nice beat, catchy tunes. I LOVE THIS CD.
I found it for you:
http://www.mostlymusic.com/noc......html
Listen to "oseh shalom" and a few more tracks.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 4:05 pm
I like Simcha Kanter's CDs.

sunshine!

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 6:53 pm
You can get the Project X cds. They are a compilation of todays upbeat, catchy songs

alti

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 7:15 pm
yentatainment by Leah Forster- really good cd- good songs very funny also try Shloimy Daskal - very nice cd ) mostly music)

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Apr 09 2008, 7:29 pm
yOSSI gREEn's new cd, the 8th note, is amazing, but I dont think it's something your kids would enjoy. in general I cant think of a cd that are great for both adults and kids. it's 2 different genres... unless you count the yeshiva boys choir or miami boys chior.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 8:30 am
modern and "alive": Sarit Haddad
modern and "original": Justyna Steczkowska

traditional but rythmey and gorgeous: Eli Mellul

Talila and Ben Zimet, and also Chava Alberstein, have songs geared towards children. And of course these two children cds : http://home.earthlink.net/~madelinusa/

Zus

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 10:16 am
I would not call Sarit Hadad jewish music, sorry.
"Ata totach" ("you're a canon")????? Really not something that I'd like my kids to sing.

We really love the pesach cd Peh-Sach by Ariella Savir.

jzmom

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 10:32 am
I love shlock rock and variations. My 4 yr old loves Lenny Solomon's "T'nu Lanu Siman". It has some really upbeat songs.

Ruchel

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 2:11 pm
Zus wrote:
I would not call Sarit Hadad jewish music, sorry.
"Ata totach" ("you're a canon")????? Really not something that I'd like my kids to sing.

We really love the pesach cd Peh-Sach by Ariella Savir.

She is Jewish, and it's in Hebrew. Extremely Jewish to me. I don't see non frum people as non jews. OP didn't say frum music.

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 2:15 pm
Ruchel, when people say "Jewish music" they generally mean "frum music" and not music sung by a Jew. Usually.

I remember when I was 18 and in the States and at frum weddings they used to play music by non religious Israeli artists and I was in total shock. This is not "Jewish music". They probably do that in France too...

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 2:58 pm
Sarit Hadad is defnitely not a [gentile], ch"v, but her music is about as appropriate for my family as any other person out there making secular music. Okay there's a mailah in that you learn Hebrew I guess.

Btw, I used to love Ofra Haza, a"h but for the same reason I wouldn't listen to her music now.

mumoo

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 3:37 pm
bashinda wrote:
Okay there's a mailah in that you learn Hebrew I guess.

maybe its best not to learn Hebrew form her lyrics

sv9506

Post Thu, Apr 10 2008, 3:39 pm
My husband and I really like the Schwekey in Paris (concert) CD - we listen to it all the time. But I don't know if that is what you are looking for.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 8:46 am
ChossidMom wrote:
Ruchel, when people say "Jewish music" they generally mean "frum music" and not music sung by a Jew. Usually.

I remember when I was 18 and in the States and at frum weddings they used to play music by non religious Israeli artists and I was in total shock. This is not "Jewish music". They probably do that in France too...

Yes they do it. In French it is definitely "Jewish music". I find very weird that people mix up Jewish and frum. Maybe in Boro Park it's easy, in Europe it would NEVER happen! With what... 15% of Jews fully shomer shabbat ("our" way) in France, it's not in my culture to mix up...

Sv, maybe you can see me and dh in the audience on the dvd? lol

Zus

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 9:31 am
I think that if you'd tell Sarit Hadad that she makes jewish music, she'd roll off her chair laughing.

baba

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 9:39 am
I would call Sarit Hadad's music Israeli, not Jewish. Her topics have nothing to do with Judaism. Having said that, we really like Shwekey. But just go to the site someone gave earlier and there you can listen to parts of all the songs, then you can really see if you'll like it.

Zus

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 9:52 am
If you go by the logic that Sarit Hada makes jewish music because she's jewish, I've got more suggestions:

Beastie Boys
Bette Midler
Neil Diamond
Weird Al Yankovic
Paula Abdul
Bob Dylan
Lou Reed
Simon&Garfunkel

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 9:58 am
You forgot

Leonard Cohen
Barbara Streisand
Bette Midler
and many, many more

Of course there is a looooong list of Israeli secular singers who act far from Jewish...

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 10:04 am
Zus wrote:
I think that if you'd tell Sarit Hadad that she makes jewish music, she'd roll off her chair laughing.

I think that if you'd tell a French Jew that Sarit does NOT make jewish music, he'd roll off his chair laughing. Or more probably would be deeply hurt by the hint that Jewish = frum.

Jewish singer in French or English, it depends... but in Hebrew or any Jewish language... sorry, we bh don't think like this.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics