Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Children begin speaking

proudmom

Post Mon, Oct 24 2005, 1:22 pm
At what age did your child start saying words?

Tefila

Post Mon, Oct 24 2005, 1:30 pm
Diff ages Exclamation and I found girls speak quicker then boys not always e.g. I didn't say anything intelligible till I was a good 2 1/2 embarrassed
My oldest spoke setences at 1 and a bit and my youngest twin daughter speaks 3 word sentences clearly her twin brother though just says occassional words whereas my other daughter spoke early too but it happend all of a sudden e.g. she said nonething till she was 8mnths and then words which later became sentences just poured out. No rules I think the only thing is as long as they r progressing it's only when they don't understand when their name is called or don't respond and don't try to even say something by two that one maybe should check it out Tongue Out

ElTam

Post Mon, Oct 24 2005, 2:55 pm
It's really individual. At 9 months or so I would expect to hear da-da and ma-ma as well as babbling. My pediatrician says kids should be combining two words by two years.

If you are concerned, I would talk to your child's pediatrician.

sheshycoco

Post Mon, Oct 24 2005, 3:50 pm
yeah eitam I think so too.
At first my baby was saying mamma from eight months when calling me and daddy shortly after, people thought he was advanced, but I think he's average, if that now. Hes 15 months now and says some words, but since we;ve been by my inlaws, he's being silly, and just saying dada, im scared he's forgotten. He rarely says 2 word sentences and if he does, thinks of it as one word, like 'this one', I duno if that counts anyway.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Oct 26 2005, 10:00 pm
sheshy, 15 months old - please do not expect him to put together 2 words yet! My son is that age, about a month or two ago he started saying "bye-bye" and "baby"...I thoguht he said "mama/mommy" but he seems to have forgotten, no matter how I tried!! But is definately saying "tatty"!! I guess at this age, many kids are saying a few more words that that, but he understands a lot, so I'm not TOO concerned.
At his dr's appt 3 wks ago, the dr asked how many words he says. I said about 3. I asked if that's normal. the dr said, a few more, a few less - as long as he's progressing!
some kids say their first word around 12 months...and others don't!

Tovah

Post Wed, Oct 26 2005, 10:04 pm
my daughter started around 14 months to say a few words, and now at 19 months she can put 2 words together and sometimes 3 words. but mostly bables.

Mandy

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 1:25 am
you need to keep a running record. A child by the age of two should have a vocabulary of about 50 words. It typically happens that they start putting words together at about 50 words. If it is considerably less than that, I would consider an evaluation. This does not apply to children who are learning two languages at once ( mommy speaks Hebrew and tatty speaks English). Also 2nd, 3rd, etc children and kids who go to daycare will probably speak earlier just because they tend to hear more speech.

shanie5

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 2:14 am
my first didnt speak till he was almost three. ( okay- he learned "NO" a week before he turned 2). once he started speaking though, he was fine. he did walk early though.

none of my kids said anything before they were a year- and all are very verbal today- with no intervention needed

Tefila

Post Thu, Oct 27 2005, 2:16 am
Quote:
A child by the age of two should have a vocabulary of about 50 words. It typically happens that they start putting words together at about 50 words.

Well I know many who did not myself incl embarrassed and I have no problem now nor did I need any outside help (though sometimes I wonder if it wouldn't have been such a bad idea Scratching Head )

chen

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 12:37 am
our pediatrician said to worry only if they were not saying 2-word sentences at age 2 and 3-word sentences at age 3.

Rivk

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 9:44 am
Cute story - My husband didn't speak at all until he was two. My mother in law was getting so fed up with him not talking and just grunting and pointing, that she finally said to him "why don't you just talk already?!" My husband then spoke his first two words "don't wanna!"

proudmom

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 10:07 am
LOL

Pearl

Post Mon, Nov 07 2005, 10:26 am
that's so cute!!!

sheshycoco

Post Thu, Nov 17 2005, 1:22 pm
lol, that's very cute.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics