Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Which perfumes/colognes are known to be chometz?
1  2  Next

MrsLeo

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 2:09 pm
In R' Blumenkratz's book it says to check if the ingredients have Ethanol or Ethane and I'm checking all my perfumes and so far I havent found anything.

Do you know any perfume/colognes that are known to be chometz or that you found one of these things in the ingredients?

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 2:14 pm
Not me.

apple24

Post Fri, Apr 11 2008, 6:40 pm
how can perfumes be "chametz" they are not Rau leachilas kelev?

Chocoholic

Post Sat, Apr 12 2008, 6:18 pm
My DHs dog would def NOT eat-drink that.... and neither are you tempted to, I assume....

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Apr 12 2008, 8:34 pm
ethanol is corn related, not chometz.

Clarissa

Post Sat, Apr 12 2008, 8:36 pm
Chocoholic wrote:
My DHs dog would def NOT eat-drink that.... and neither are you tempted to, I assume....
I don't know about that. When I burp and my family gets a momentary whiff of Chanel #5, it sweetens everyone's day.

tzipp

Post Sat, Apr 12 2008, 9:22 pm
Some people are careful as a chumra with cosmetics on pesach even though they are not raoy leachilas celev. Someone else could probably give more info on this...

GAMZu

Post Sat, Apr 12 2008, 9:38 pm
apple24 wrote:

Acccctually.... you have to be super careful with perfumes because they CAN be made edible. They can be distilled to produce alcohol. That's what people have done when perfumes were available but alcohol was not.

Just refer to Clarissa's post.

But really, I'm serious.

Crayon210

Post Sat, Apr 12 2008, 9:40 pm
GAMZu wrote:
apple24 wrote:

Acccctually.... you have to be super careful with perfumes because they CAN be made edible. They can be distilled to produce alcohol. That's what people have done when perfumes were available but alcohol was not.

I believe that Rav Moshe says that since alcoholics would drink perfume if there were no alcohol available, it does indeed need to be kosher l'Pesach.

I never saw this in print, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Crayon210

Post Sat, Apr 12 2008, 9:40 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:
I don't know about that. When I burp and my family gets a momentary whiff of Chanel #5, it sweetens everyone's day.

Puke

Clarissa

Post Sat, Apr 12 2008, 10:10 pm
Crayon210 wrote:
Clarissa wrote:
Chocoholic wrote:

Puke
Now, now, Crayon. Many of us have been feeling that the abuse of the negative emoticons is contributing to the negative aspects of our board communication. Maybe you could have expressed your feelings this way:

Clarissa, while I have infinite respect for your wisdom and dazzling intellect, I do think that your description of belching expensive aromas is somewhat unrefined and perhaps a mite unpleasant. Perhaps you can rethink your post or find a way to express your feelings and experiences in a way more in tuned with the maturity and gentility we expect from the women of Imamother.

GAMZu

Post Sat, Apr 12 2008, 10:46 pm
Quote:
the maturity and gentility we expect from the women of Imamother.

Rolling Eyes Confused shock Wink

MrsLeo

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 12:36 am
If things that arent "raoy l'achilas kelev" cant be chometz then why dont people use certains creams, soaps and cosmetics on pesach?
There is a whole section in R' Blumenkratz's book on non-food items.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 8:36 am
Crayon210 wrote:
GAMZu wrote:
apple24 wrote:

I believe that Rav Moshe says that since alcoholics would drink perfume if there were no alcohol available, it does indeed need to be kosher l'Pesach.

I never saw this in print, so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I've seen that in Rav Blumenkrantz's book. From what I understood "ראוי לאכילת כלב" is a term that's thrown around alot and alot of the stuff we think isn't - actually IS.

Akeres Habayis

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 3:05 pm
can someone tell me if CK one is on the list,I dont have any ref to look at.
also perodontax toothpaste Rolling Eyes
shock just bc I like the bugeyed look LOL

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 3:05 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
From what I understood "ראוי לאכילת כלב" is a term that's thrown around alot and alot of the stuff we think isn't - actually IS.

Really? I beliebe I've heard the opposite.

MrsLeo

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 3:17 pm
Akeres Habayis wrote:
can someone tell me if CK one is on the list,I dont have any ref to look at.
also perodontax toothpaste Rolling Eyes
shock just bc I like the bugeyed look LOL

I dont think there is an actual list of perfumes that are chometz, thats why I started this thread. In the book it just says to check if it has ethyl or ethanol alcohol and if it doesnt then it ok.

The toothpaste Periotherapy is on the non-chometz list but I dont see perodontax.

ChossidMom

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 4:03 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
ChossidMom wrote:
From what I understood "ראוי לאכילת כלב" is a term that's thrown around alot and alot of the stuff we think isn't - actually IS.

Really? I beliebe I've heard the opposite.

Anything I say I've read or heard is from Rabbi Blumenkrantz's book. That's why he gives such long and detailed lists of which perfumes are ok and which aren't, deodorants etc.

freidasima

Post Sun, Apr 13 2008, 4:09 pm
as they change the ingredients of things, the easiest thing to do here (in EY) is to go to a small ladies store either in Geula, Bnai Brak or somewhere frum, and just buy what there is. A million years ago I did that and still have the deodorant that I use one week a year, it lasts forever...didn't like it then, don't like it now, but c'est la vie. One of my girls got "charlie" cologne which had a KLP hechsher a few years ago, but other than that, I really don't know what is or isn't...I only use an english rose perfume and you can't use that on Pesach anyhow.

Akeres Habayis

Post Mon, Apr 14 2008, 8:02 am
good idea freidsima,I'm going there tonight for a farbrengen,so I will look for something else.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics