Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Dye your hair at home tips

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 9:58 am
Never tried to do it myself, how hard is it?
I always keep my hair covered so doesn’t need perfection at all😃
Will I get the mess over my whole house, or is it worth a try?
Also, any problems with Mikvah when having dyed hair?

essie14

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 12:01 pm
I've been dyeing at home since I got married. Went to salon for years before so I felt like I have a good idea of how to do it.
You can always YouTube.
It doesn't make a mess at all.
I went to a discount beauty store and bought a bowl for hair dye and the special brush.
I strip down to my underwear and drape a dark towel around my shoulders.
Wear nitrile or latex gloves.
If anything drips, wipe up with dark towel right away.
When I finish my head I set my alarm and in the meantime clean up the sink area right away. Then sit and watch a TV show til it's finished. I put on another pair of gloves when I rinse in the shower so I can really massage my hair and scalp and rinse it well.

Alternatively, maybe you can find a neighborhood beautician who would let you bring your own inexpensive color. I know some friends of mine do that.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 3:29 pm
essie14 wrote:
I've been dyeing at home since I got married. Went to salon for years before so I felt like I have a good idea of how to do it.
You can always YouTube.
It doesn't make a mess at all.
I went to a discount beauty store and bought a bowl for hair dye and the special brush.
I strip down to my underwear and drape a dark towel around my shoulders.
Wear nitrile or latex gloves.
If anything drips, wipe up with dark towel right away.
When I finish my head I set my alarm and in the meantime clean up the sink area right away. Then sit and watch a TV show til it's finished. I put on another pair of gloves when I rinse in the shower so I can really massage my hair and scalp and rinse it well.

Alternatively, maybe you can find a neighborhood beautician who would let you bring your own inexpensive color. I know some friends of mine do that.

Thanks!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 3:50 pm
It's a learning curve and messy but you can do it easily. I find John Frieda Precision Foam Color to be very user friendly for DIY.
Watch a video before, and keep the instruction sheet open and follow along, because some steps are not intuitive (like no mixing, don't press down on pump).
Best to do it undressed in the bathroom. Stay away from the shower curtain so you don't leave a stain. Keep a towel handy that you can get dirty or a roll of paper towels. Also a watch or phone to time and keep yourself busy.
Simple foam easier to keep color even.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 4:22 pm
I bring a lot of gloves in the bathroom. I live to change them a few times. And use an old towel.

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 4:29 pm
https://www.yoatzot.org/questi...../780/

https://www.yoatzot.org/mikveh/537/

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 4:33 pm
my mom did this by herself till she passed away at age 82 she somehow did it in the shower
I have dont this myself and rinsed in the bath tub you can buy somthing that you rub around youre face so the die wont get into your face

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 4:34 pm
Petroleum jelly keeps dye off skin.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 8:46 pm
don't dye freshly washed hair. or freshly cut hair.

amother
Garnet

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 10:55 pm
I have done it many times. I found that the L’Oréal colorstay was the best to work with. You need a solid block of time that you won’t be disturbed. Wear something that you don’t care if it gets permanently stained. Have lots of disposable gloves on hand, and cleaning supplies for after. It has a strong smell that tends to linger for a couple days. Permanent hair dye shouldn’t have a problem with the Mikva, but definitely don’t recommend doing this too close to the time. After years of doing it myself, I decided to go to a salon-it was just too much work and the lingering smells gave me a headache.

vintagebknyc

Post Wed, Nov 10 2021, 11:00 pm
I’ve always done it myself. Clairol, Nice N Easy. Super easy. Comes with gloves. I wash it off in the shower, and I use a ratty towel for my hair for the next few washes. It’s pretty easy, and I do it every 4-5 weeks.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics