Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Organization Dinner at Extremely Posh restaurant/UPDATE
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

momandteacher

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 1:15 pm
Possibly depends on the crowd. In some places, what is considered dressy is seen as much more casual in other places. But in my circles, I think this is a good choice.
You have such pretty clothes!

amother
Red

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 1:20 pm
I do not think either of these choices are appropriate attire for the wife of an honoree at an upscale location.

Amarante

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 1:32 pm
Now that you have explained things a bit better, the leopard dress might not be "fancy" enough for the occasion since you are being honored.

I think the restaurant is a bit of a red herring as the location doesn't matter as much as the occasion.

A cocktail dress is generally dressier than one would wear for a regular party but it isn't a long gown which is much more formal.

There really are all kinds of cocktail dresses depending on your style. The "little black dress" dressed up with beautiful jewelry is considered to be the quintessential "cocktail" dress. There are even cocktail suits which are generally brocade or other beautiful fabric and typically not worn with a blouse so they are more like two piece dresses. And of course there are fancier cocktail dresses with sequins or beading but they are always short and not floor length.

Did you want to shop your closet? It seems as though you might want to splurge given that you will be one of the centers of attraction. Now is a good time to shop for a cocktail dress because there are so many parties during December.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 1:38 pm
there will be a spectrum of what people consider "cocktail" dress
wear something you feel gorgeous in
you will not be overdressed so go for anything you like and feel good and comfortable in
would go for something I would wear to an upscale wedding for guide
however, shabbos fancy is fine too

simcha2

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 1:42 pm
Is your dh wearing a tux?

Cocktail attire to be, what a guest wears to a black tie wedding.

Knee length cocktail dress. Fancy.

amother
Orange

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 1:46 pm
also almost anything within a range can be dressed up with accessories, sheitel, makeup, jewelry, shoes and the like

basic black works well with this strategy

so really depends upon budget and desire

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 1:57 pm
momandteacher wrote:
Possibly depends on the crowd. In some places, what is considered dressy is seen as much more casual in other places. But in my circles, I think this is a good choice.
You have such pretty clothes!

Which one would be a good choice

I have other clothes but I’ve lost weight and B”H they are WAY too big

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 1:59 pm
simcha2 wrote:
Is your dh wearing a tux?

Cocktail attire to be, what a guest wears to a black tie wedding.

Knee length cocktail dress. Fancy.

Nope he’s wearing his navy every day suit

Last edited by amother on Tue, Dec 07 2021, 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 2:05 pm
This is me in the leopard dress
https://I.imgur.com/v3tGX0p.jpg

simba

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 2:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I think this is very pretty. Don’t stress it. If you feel good you will look good. And as you said, all the people there are honorees, they will be so busy with their own dresses they won’t notice what you are wearing.

Enjoy and congrats.

kenz

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 2:11 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
It’s not a wedding
It’s an ORGANIZATION dinner at a restaurant
The restaurant is trendy now because it’s new
Asian style
Out of town if that makes a difference

Am I better off with a sequins top with that skirt

https://I.imgur.com/0FqQJtc.jpg

The pic doesn’t give it justice, but it is an old top not sure if it’s out of style

Look, you can totally wear what you're comfortable in, but you asked for opinions. If the invitation says cocktail, my answer above remains, and you see most people here agree with me. You do you, but you did ask.

amother
Red

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 2:42 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I think its very pretty and I'm the poster above that said neither option is cocktail. I think this could work.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:46 pm
https://www.nordstromrack.com/.....pping

Is something like this more appropriate
Of course with a shell under

kenz

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:52 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
https://www.nordstromrack.com/s/love-by-design-lace-long-sleeve-midi-dress/6210219?color=BLACK&utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=seo_shopping&utm_channel=low_nd_seo_shopping

Is something like this more appropriate
Of course with a shell under

Yes, definitely

imaima

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:57 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
This is the black top and skirt
https://I.imgur.com/34LKXTw.jpg

This is the one I would wear to a Shabbat Night Shul dinner

I m just clueless what it means cocktail attire since we are all frum ppl.
It may simply be a nice way of saying that only cocktails and finger food will be served

Definitily the dress.

Smile1234

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 3:59 pm
If your husband is wearing a navy everyday suit then I don’t think you need to go all out. Wear something that is pretty and you feel comfortable in. I’d be surprised if the other women wear “real” cocktail dresses

But I have no experience with this. I’d love to hear what actually happened after the fact.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 4:21 pm
I live in a large OOT community and if I were in your situation I would wear a black taffeta skirt (straight/pencil type) with a dressy black top. The top you showed could work with a good loose shell underneath, and nice jewelry.

Or you could wear a shiny accordion pleat skirt (midi) with a nice top and nice jewelry.

Does your city have a Jewish newspaper? Ours posts pictures of events in both the frum and non frum communities so it’s helpful to go back and see what people wore last year if you aren’t sure.

In general I would wear wedding guest attire - short, elegant, a little shiny.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 4:35 pm
amother [ Sienna ] wrote:
I live in a large OOT community and if I were in your situation I would wear a black taffeta skirt (straight/pencil type) with a dressy black top. The top you showed could work with a good loose shell underneath, and nice jewelry.

Or you could wear a shiny accordion pleat skirt (midi) with a nice top and nice jewelry.

Does your city have a Jewish newspaper? Ours posts pictures of events in both the frum and non frum communities so it’s helpful to go back and see what people wore last year if you aren’t sure.

In general I would wear wedding guest attire - short, elegant, a little shiny.

Can you link a nice skirt to go with my top
Also- something that doesn’t make me look wide
Even though I’ve lost weight I’m still self conscious about it

ra_mom

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 4:39 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I was going through your posts and wasn't sure, but now that you posted yourself in the dress, I think you should go with it!
Congrats to your husband on the honor.

amother
Smokey

Post Tue, Dec 07 2021, 4:54 pm
You look beautiful in the leopard dress.

Everyone there is an honoree, kol Hakavod and mazel tov, but it is much different than being THE honoree or Baal Simcha.

You (and everyone else) is OOT.

I think you should wear the leopard and not stress.

Do you have a friend who is going who you can consult with regarding dress-code. I find that always helps.
Page 2 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics