Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Pesach Recipes
Any tricks to Pesachdik chicken soup?
1  2  3  Next

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 8:30 am
Does anybody have any tried and true tricks for making tasty chicken soup? My soup is bland the first night and only decent the second night.

Maybe some of you will be Scratching Head at this question but I don't use dill, garlic or pepper which I normally use during the year to season my soup. I was told to put more onions in by somebody and I was thinking maybe I should put in fried onions.

poemmom

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 8:35 am
I put in raw onion cut in half, carrot, and celery at beginning. Add fresh parsely at end. You can also put in raw peeled ginger root

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 8:38 am
I would saute the onions before hand and then add the water straight to the pot....ie with the oil etc.

Do you use fresh garlic? I thought the problem was with ground garlic. If you can use fresh just chop it a bit.

Salt will also help. Do you use parsley? Basil? I'm talking fresh. All will add flavor as will bay (laurel?) leaves.
Carrots, sweet potatoes or pumpkin, zucchini...I'd really go veggie.

Could you make hot and sour soup? Vinegar and chilli peppers (though I think the chilli peppers would be a problem, correct?)

Are peppercorns or white pepper also not good?

Use necks and backs of chicken as well, and cook on a low temp for hours, as in overnight if you can. If you normally use parts add a whole chicken and just use the chicken for a salad or mashed with potatoes or for boiled chicken (um, I like it...I know most people don't)

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 9:00 am
if its good the second night, make the soup a day earlier than usual.

cook for a loooooong time.

add lots of diff. veggies. extra chicken.

yo'ma

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 9:10 am
Add another chicken. I only put chicken, salt, pepper, and veg. and it comes out good everytime (at least my family and guests think so). I do put in a lot of chicken. I don't even like it w/ the other stuff, except for maybe parsley.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 9:13 am
The only seasoning I ever use in my soup is salt, every week of the year.
I use: 1 kg (about 2 lb) chicken wings
Onions
Carrots (not too much cause they make the soup sweet)
Kholrabi
Zucchini
Turnip
You can add sweet potato if there is someone who will eat it (ditto the sweet).

Chop up all the veggies and saute them in a bit of oil or shmaltz, whatever you use. You can peel all these veggies so I think they are all fine for you to use.
Add the chicken and water to cover, but not to overflow the pot (use a big pot).
Bring to a boil, simmer for a few hours. Add some salt but not too much as people have different tastes and can add at the table.
The soup should be magnificent from the first taste and on.

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 9:18 am
I use an organic chicken for my soup year-round.
Salt
butternut sqaush
parsnip

I always get compliments on it, it tastes so yummy.

Mevater

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 9:26 am
celery root- makes a big difference
parsley root
zucchini
red pepper

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 9:41 am
Thanks I'm printing this out for future reference and use a bit of this and a bit of that. I like the sauteing idea especially. I should have gotten ginger root because I have no reasons not to use it. Maybe if I succumb and buy things chol hamoed I'll get it for my next batch of soup. Ditto to the celery root. I have to add that to my master grocery list.

And I don't use any garlic at all boo hoo. Usually I mince a couple of cloves in.

And Raisin that makes even more sense. But the problem is then the third night it will be too rich. I guess I could add some water at that point.

Hmm. Like I said I'm printing out and probably taking a bit from everybody.

Thanks for giving me your marvelous tips at busy time.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 10:17 am
Ours is the same soup as all year.

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 10:23 am
that's probably because you use pepper and garlic Very Happy

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 10:31 am
In soup ?

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 10:35 am
I make it very veggie intensive. Celery root and the leaves from a bunch of celery (it's not the same thing, btw).

I also find that sweet potatoes can thicken up the soup nicely - I make a point to slightly mash them once they're cooked through.

bashinda

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 10:47 am
chocolate moose wrote:
In soup ?

You don't? I use crushed black pepper, dill and garlic in my regular soup.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 10:56 am
I use black pepper, salt, dill, parsley, celery leaves. No garlic though.

su7kids

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 11:28 am
I don't use pepper at all, ever, because it burns my mouth.

But one of the main secrets is to let the chicken, salt and onion boil and then simmer by themselves for a LOOOOOONG time, and then add the veggies.

red sea

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 11:32 am
question #5 ; why is chicken soup different on pesach than on all the rest of the whole year?

You put chametz in yours?

pinktichel

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 1:51 pm
red sea wrote:
question #5 ; why is chicken soup different on pesach than on all the rest of the whole year?

You put chametz in yours?

I was wondering the same thing until I read further. Many people use pepper, garlic, parsley and other things that a lot of Lubavitchers don't use on Pesach. I make it "Pesachdik" all yr round and I've been told it is fantastic.

I put in 2 chicken legs, a lg onion, peeled green and yellow squash and lots of carrots. I let it cook for hours on a low flame (once boiled) and then add a bit of water and LOTS of salt (I keep tasting it) to bring out the flavor.

Nothing fancy. No MSG and great for Pesach.

I've had guests ask for seconds.

HindaRochel

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 1:56 pm
Generally I don't spice mine up either, but I use a lot of chicken parts and cook all day.

Beauty and the Beast

Post Thu, Apr 17 2008, 1:59 pm
GINGER is the trick in mine.
also dill, celeraic, and kolohrabi.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics