Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Do you buy produce Chol Hamoed?
1  2  Next

Do you buy produce chol hamoed?
Of course, what's the problem?  
 66%  [ 26 ]
Are you crazy? No way Jose!  
 2%  [ 1 ]
Only if I really need it for 2nd days  
 30%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 39

Mimisinger

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 9:40 pm
Here's the poll!

mama-star

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 9:47 pm
I'm going to have to ... I'm running out. Sad

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 10:02 pm
yes, no questions asked. I can't believe it's a minhag from russia not to buy, when they didn't even have refrigerators.

mimivan

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 10:12 pm
Well, if one mamash out of something, what choice is there? I guess if it is your minhag not to buy, you do without, but we've decided to buy if we really need a food item.

marina

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 11:01 pm
Quote:
I can't believe it's a minhag from russia not to buy, when they didn't even have refrigerators

I think the people who don't buy anything over chol hamoed don't do it because of Minhag Russia reasons. I think that they do it because any chometz that may have been on your food is botel before pesach but not during pesach, so they are concerned that vegetables may have been sprayed with chometz, etc.

greenfire

Post Mon, Apr 21 2008, 11:20 pm
I used to think one shouldn't ... but then there are those that do ... how can stuff stay fresh enough to last for the last days ... so I say yes

Raizle

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 12:04 am
I'm glad I never heard of that minhag Wink , I'm just about out of potatos and that's a real staple of our diet on pesach.

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 2:41 am
Yes

yfrh

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 2:26 pm
It is very upsetting when food goes bad because there is no room in your refridge and you can't buy during pesach.

however I still try to be oganinzed enough that I plan what is needed.
I only buy when I need it. I do not have in mind that I will buy things during Pesach for the Idea that it could have chometz on the peel orf fruits and vegies.

I did get an old refridge from my in laws and now use on pesach.

Tehilla

Post Tue, Apr 22 2008, 2:42 pm
yup we buy Chol HaMoed produce, although we try to cut down on it as much as possible.

better than rotting food and wasted money. I made a miscalculation with my cucumbers and apples and am now in that exact situation, rotting food and wasted money. so frustrating. B"H estimated everything else very well.

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 5:08 am
Yes. I buy what I need.

freidasima

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 7:13 am
glad I never heard of that one!
But Am Yisroel bless their souls, seem to have been vultures~ dh and I had to go to the supermarket yesterday to get things and tons of things were missing...couldn't find chocolate bars (pareve) for the kids that weren't kitniyot, and I was told that they ran out of prepared cakes, cookies, etc. as well...the only thing left was a potato starch cake mix that for some reason no one wanted...can you imagine?
But produce? Who has room for so much fruit in the fridge? Meyleh, potatoes you can buy 70 kilo as we and our friends all do, but stuff that needs refrigeration?

ChossidMom

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 4:34 pm
Well, I bought one cake mix (Taaman) with potato starch. A coconut cake. All I did was add the liquids. It came out pretty darn good! (no separating eggs and all that jazz)

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 4:36 pm
lucky you. I got them in other years and they were fine, but last year one was sort of bitter (crumbcake IIRC), and this year, the grocery didn't stock them at all !

debs123

Post Wed, Apr 23 2008, 4:46 pm
We don't buy any food on Pesach. It's actually fun not to shop a whole week!! I buy produce in a market real fresh and store in a room that's quite cold. that's all there is to it. Just a little planning of quantities.

mugsisme

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 12:01 am
I had learned that we (Lubavitch) don't buy eggs or milk during Pesach. But produce? I didn't hear that. Good for me, since I used my last potatoes today.

zigi

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 12:13 am
I totally miscalculated with carrots and eggs I only bought 2 bags of carrots and 30 dozen eggs. note to self don't shop with the kids and ask how many eggs come in a case! lol

anyone in ch need eggs?

grin

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 12:19 am
mugsisme wrote:
I had learned that we (Lubavitch) don't buy eggs or milk during Pesach. But produce? I didn't hear that. Good for me, since I used my last potatoes today.

yes, since we're peeling all the fresh produce in any case. being in Israel, we buy milchiks also, since it's not going to have nay outright chametz.

Akeres Habayis

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 1:28 am
I had to go out yesterday to buy eggs.we ranout and I was davening they didnt have blood spots,like the ones I already bought.

Koshermomma

Post Thu, Apr 24 2008, 10:44 am
I never learned that you couldn't buy produce during Pesach. Thank goodness, because my rule is that my kids have to have their friends here during Chol - so I'm feeding lots and lots of teenage boys!! If I couldn't restock - I'd be in TROUBLE!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics