Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Tell everything about eczema
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:04 am
Because my doctor isn’t helpful.

Just put on cortisone for the rest of her life, he said.

Is it bad for her?
No, he said.

What’s it from?
It’s genetic, he said.

No one in both our families suffer from it.
I said it’s generic, he said.

Is it a food allergy? She has runny diapers for over a month.
No, he said.

**Better advice from you smarter mommies out there wanted, please. I don’t know anything about this other then it started at her checks and not it spreading over her back and stomach.

SG18

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:09 am
My husband had terrible eczema as a child. He tried everything. The only thing that helped was switching out all soaps and creams for Dove bar soap. He hasn't had an episode in almost 30 years since.

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:14 am
It might be food related

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:23 am
amother [ Mayflower ] wrote:
It might be food related

The doctor said it can’t be. But when I gave her salmon her cheeks turned red.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:29 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The doctor said it can’t be. But when I gave her salmon her cheeks turned red.
But thats not eczema. That may a food allergy or reaction.

Eczema - a medical condition in which patches of skin become rough and inflamed, with blisters that cause itching and bleeding,

amother
OP

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:41 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
But thats not eczema. That may a food allergy or reaction.

Eczema - a medical condition in which patches of skin become rough and inflamed, with blisters that cause itching and bleeding,

But he insists it is. She has eczema based on what he sees on her face plus maybe a food allergy.

amother
Tealblue

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:53 am
My baby's excema is getting better once I took him off dairy, you can try going off gluten . Many times gluten is the problem.. also use free and clear detergent and no dye Johnson shampp . Try an allergist

Last edited by amother on Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Mayflower

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:53 am
Find a good allergist. My kid always has excema that can be controlled with moisturizer every night, but gets flare ups if I feed her certain foods

amother
Rose

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 4:56 am
My daughter had "eczema" that started when she was 6 months old. That's when she started solids.
It was a red nasty rash around her mouth, and sometimes she had dry patches all over her hands and stomach. It came and went, got better and worse, at random.

First, they said it's a drool rash, and her hands and legs are just dry skin.

A bit later, like a day after I gave her first dairy food, it got insanely worse. Red, raw, itchy skin around her mouth. I was traveling then, so went to the local urgent care and they said "eczema, nothing to do about it."

Well, I couldn't look at my baby in pain. When she was about a year old we tested her for food allergies by Dr. Heimlich in Jerusalem. Guess what- she was allergic to dairy, eggs, and sesame!

I took her off all these foods and bh she cleared up and only had flair-ups when she ate those foods.

She's 3 now, and bh can eat eggs and sesame! Oh, and by us it's genetic, my husband's family has some history of food allergy. I only found out afterward.

Pediatricians don't know everything. Don't stop until you find the cause of her "eczema" (which I'm not so sure it is, as my daughter's was not, just an allergic reaction)

Anon cuz this is way too much personal info TMI

amother
RosePink

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 5:01 am
We switched hand and bath soaps to dr bronner's and my child's excema cleared up.

amother
Brunette

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 5:09 am
Two Main points;
1. Try to keep child as comfortable as possible by switching detergents and soaps etc to see if anything irritates skin. Use only cottons, and try to prevent scratching by moisturizing and using tight pjs etc.
2, only use cortisone if necessary to fight infection. Steroids can often make a problem disappear quickly, but when it comes back, it is worse than when you started. This is after speaking to many parents of kids with eczema.
Also, obviously daven. None of us have real answers unfortunately.
My child had terrible eczema and it went away by about 6 -7 years old . BH.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 5:10 am
My baby had such bad eczema I can’t look at the pictures her older siblings took of her. (I didn’t take pictures - didn’t want to remember how scaly and blotchy she looked!) I was nursing and went off every food
I thought was triggering it. I stopped using anything with a scent - laundry detergent, room freshener etc. Bathed her every night using Vanicream soap and slathered her in Vanicream moisturizer after the bath.
I also had her tested for allergies: milk, nuts, sesame,eggs were all positive.We stay away from all known food allergies and she looks beautiful now. She does occasionally get flare ups behind her knees and I don’t know what causes that, but all in all her skin really got better when we figured out the cause.
Take your baby to an allergist and don’t rely on the pediatrician’s opinion of this.

quinny

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 5:47 am
If you live in Brooklyn I can give you a number of a lady who helped my son figure all his food sensitivity which wouldn't come up as allergy I only took out out of his diet 1 food and saw a huge difference bh after.hes mostly clear now after suffering for 3 years.
Only use steroids when you really need and the minimum amount. Change all soaps and detergent and moisturize twice a day.
Hatzlacha

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 5:59 am
No don't use cortisone for the rest of kids life! Cortisone can be okay to calm it down initially, but once it's calm you can maintain beautiful skin! As others have said go to an allergist! Also, when my kid gets a bad flare up, a mixture of cortisone and bactriban is what I use because the skin usually has a staph infection in it (as per my allergist) but I use so so sparingly. Some people do bleach baths (please Google how to do, I personally didn't do it) to kill the staph.so step 1 eliminate irritant. Step 2 use necessary creams sparingly. Step 3 once it's clearing up bathe everyday and right away use Vaseline after to lock in moisture. Sure it's messy but your child will have beautiful looking skin.

amother
Bisque

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 6:06 am
I have 2 kids who had eczema.

Oldest son. I thought was food. Kept taking him off things. It would go away. But always came back. For years. He is now a teen. I now really don’t believe it is food related. I believe it is stress related and environmental (Like allergies, seasonal). It’s gotten much better as he gets older. He moisturizes very often. Uses gentle soaps and detergent and deodorant. Uses steroids as needed to put out fires, not often.

Another child broke out in horrible eczema on face and neck as soon as started food everyone told me to stop certain foods. My dr said not to stop feeding bec needed for health and growth and not related. Ppl drove me crazy with their advice (she looked really bad, we used tons of moisturizer and low steroids sparingly). She completely grew out of it by the time she was 3. She hasn’t had since. I’ve heard from many parents a lot of kids outgrow without ever removing foods.

cupcake123

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 6:06 am
Take your child off dairy . See if that's helps. Take your child off nuts. See what happens. Take your child off salmon/fish if you noticed a reaction go with your gut.
Also make sure all the bedding/clothes is 100% cotton.
Also use detergents and body wash that have no scent just free and clear.
BTDT! BH all is clear for my child now. We had gone to quite a few doctors /allergist/dermatologists
One top allergist in CHOP told us allergy testing is only 50% effective so best is trial and error.
Good luck!

amother
Crocus

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 6:11 am
Eucrisa is a non steroid cream that does wonders. I've been suffering for months. Started Eucrisa last week and after 2 uses the change was astounding. It needs prior authorization from the insurance company (the doctor makes your case and shows that nothing else is working) because it's expensive, but BH it is covered and it is working such a relief.
https://nationaleczema.org/new.....w_wcB

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 7:04 am
Eczema is mixture of inflammation caused by an overdrive of TH2 arm of the immune system ( your wbc) This is caused by a mixture of “chemicals” produced by embedded white blood cells in your skin. This reaction is the same as what causes asthma in your lungs the same cells are involved. This reaction happens despite of what you eat and eliminating one or 2 foods will not make your eczema go away in the overwhelming majority of cases. This is an autoimmune problem of the th2 system of your immune system. People confuse eczema as a food allergy as both acute food allergy and eczema involve a skin reaction but the rashes are very different. It also happens The majority of people who have true food allergies are also patients that have eczema And similarly also have asthma. These are called atopic diseases and they all come from an overdrive of the TH2 immune system.
The eczema goes away for many on its own and this gives the perception of using “bubba maysa” therapies as useful. Save your money I’ll give you the “alternative healers treatment for eczema right here for free. stay off milk, sugar, spicy foods, chocolate, corn, tomatoes, gluten, eggs, take probiotics and magically the white blood cells will stop secreting all those harmful chemicals that attack your skin and cause barrier dysfunction.
Right now there are many alternatives to cortisone but unfortunately insurance makes it hard to get and you have to find a doctor whose willing to do the extra work to get you those alternatives.

mpmom

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 2:02 pm
Hi. I actually discovered a whole new world of functional medicine/ integrative health when one of my sons got eczema. My regular pediatrician had nothing to tell me except to keep skin moist and use gentle soaps and detergents. That didn’t change anything and BH I stumbled on an integrative health practitioner that bH cured him. Basically what was explained to me by these practitioners (I’ve used a few for different issues and different kids over the years) is that the skin is the largest excretory organ in our body. Which means that if there are toxins (can be antibodies to food) that need to be excreted from the body and the skin is dry it will choose the skin and create eczema. What you need to find out besides for trying to keep skin moist is why there are so many toxins. It can be food related which there are specialized labs to test for food sensitivities that regular allergist don’t test. I had my son tested at a year old for celiac as he had 5-6 dirty diapers daily besides the eczema from 5 months old when he started solids but it came back negative. When we tested through enterolab.com, it came out that he was gluten sensitive. Once he went off gluten and took some supplements for a short time, the eczema went away completely and has not returned after 7 years. My nephew a year later had eczema and my sister in law used the same practitioner as me and it wasn’t a food sensitivity by him, just an underdeveloped digestive system which wasn’t digesting the food entirely so the body was mistaking the undigested food as foreign and trying to excrete it through the skin. He just needed a digestive enzyme for a few months and also was healed. Since then I’ve done a lot of reading up on functional medicine/integrative health (trying to treat the underlying issues and not the symptoms) and it really is very scientific and a shame that regular doctors aren’t embracing it and learning it.

amother
Jade

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 2:05 pm
Check out the Dr aron regimen. It's still topical steroids, but with the goal of weaning and with other components.

It helps keeps my kids eczema under control.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics