Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach Hits and Misses
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 10:12 am
Seraph wrote:
Kishka stuffed chicken with homemade pesach duck sauce was a hit.

That sounds delishes. Did you bake it or do it stovetop?

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 04 2010, 10:20 am
Don't waste time and stovetop space cooking Pesach food for Shabbos Hagadol.
(Except for 1] chicken soup - great to freeze the extra fresh soup for the second days, and 2] cholent dumped into the crockpot.)
Do buy ready made Pesach gefilte fish and egg salad takeout for Shabbos Hagadol.

Do use the KLP crockpot for Erev Pesach suppers. Works out wonderfully and does not take up needed space on stovetop.

Do use the crockpot for sauteeing onions. Worked out beautifully. (Even though I prefer stovetop onions, this was a major time saver.)

Do prepare make-ahead salads that last in the fridge, before YT, like cucumber salad, cole slaw, carrot salad... It was wonderful to just take out the containers from the fridge on YT, instead of having to whip up a fresh salad for each meal.

Do not buy Heimish KLP dishsoap. Do buy Palmolive, as per Blumenkrantz book.

Do not buy Adwee toothpaste. Do buy regular toothpaste as per book.

Do not buy EZ Filters for kitchen sinks. How many years will we continue to waste our money on that garbage that clogs up our faucets? Mad

Do use gloves while washing dishes to prevent dirty nails from steel wool.

Do continue to use the same recipes from this year and last year. Food is delicious.

Do make almond cookies and Tollhouse cake. Those baked goods were hits.

Seraph

Post Tue, Apr 06 2010, 10:49 am
ra_mom wrote:
Seraph wrote:

Baked, but I'm sure stovetop would have been fine as well.

Raizle

Post Tue, Apr 06 2010, 5:02 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Raizle wrote:
I don't think I'm going to bother trying to make mayonaise again next year. It's always such a flop!

If you have a food processor and a plastic cup, I have a no-fail recipe for you Smile

ok go for it Very Happy
I'll print it out and leave it with my Pesach recipes for next year
yOungm0mmy I'll print yours too, thanks

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 3:54 am
Hits: Day 8 milky lunch went very well as usual, smoked salmon and matza lasagna. Big hit to make spinach lasagna on one side and mushroom on the other. OK to bake matza rolls/bagels the night before, but it was worth getting up early to make fried fish. Fresh herbs last longer if you wrap the bottom with a wet paper towel.

Misses: Guests liked apricot chicken though came out too sweet for my taste--go easy on apricot jam. Parve soup mix with tapioca starch had funny aftertaste. GO BUY COCOA CRISPY-O MUCH EARLIER, totally sold out by the time I got to the stores. Packaged Osem cake was horrible. Don't bother with fruit juice drink--some only has 25% real juice. Cheap silan had fructose syrup, check ingredients next year.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 6:30 pm
Seraph wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Seraph wrote:

Baked, but I'm sure stovetop would have been fine as well.

Thanks! Smile

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 6:32 pm
Raizle wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Raizle wrote:
I don't think I'm going to bother trying to make mayonaise again next year. It's always such a flop!

If you have a food processor and a plastic cup, I have a no-fail recipe for you Smile

ok go for it Very Happy

I posted the recipe on this thread. It really is no fail. Smile
Don't know if there's still time for you to put the recipe away for next year...
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....+slaw

Mimisinger

Post Wed, Apr 07 2010, 7:38 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
I bought A & B gef fish, Raskin's gef fish (both sweet and plain) and they all were delicious; but they have cottonseed oil and potato starch in them. I gotta get Benzy's fish next year - it's got more hiddurim. Since we don't use that stuff Pesach, why should it be allowed in the fish?

I had several packets of ground coffee which were vaccum sealed but old and tasted awful. Gotta get fresh ground coffee or instant.

Otherwise, so far, everything was delicious. The lettuce salads with dressing were a big hit, the pesto, pineapple chicken, Crispy Cookies and choc torte, too.

I try to make some foods that are similar to all year round, like the fruit salad - it's easier for the kids to wrap their head around. They don't enjoy too much change.

Buying fresh herbs was a huge taste advantage - everything cooked with it tasted much more alive, like the soup and salads.

New-to-us this year was also the sphaghetti squash which helped round out the soup course. I gotta try it with sauteed onions, peppers, and cheese.

I got a package of bottled water so we could take them on trips; big help. Also (flavored) seltzer, so we had a treat before yomtov - speaking of which, the BBQ sauce and tomato sauce we got were good. It was nice to make Shabbos HaGadol special at home, rather than eating at a restaurant.

Wasn't crazy about the price and quality of the baggy salads we bought for before - the iceberg was nothing special, and more than four dollars !!! Coleslaw mix was fine but nothing special.

I remembered to buy avocadoes ahead of time so they will be ready for the gebrokts meals on the last day.

I thought you had to peel everything? Lettuce? (Also how do you then do that for the seder?)

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 7:54 am
Lettuce is in a head. YOu can remove the outer leaves.

Raizle

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 6:50 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Raizle wrote:
ra_mom wrote:
Raizle wrote:

ok go for it Very Happy

I posted the recipe on this thread. It really is no fail. Smile
Don't know if there's still time for you to put the recipe away for next year...
http://www.imamother.com/forum.....+slaw
thanks! Very Happy
I can just undo the tape and open the cupboard and slip it in.

imasinger

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 8:00 pm
The chocolate gateau posted here was a HUGE hit. I ended up making 3 of them and running out of chocolate.

Costco was great for Pesach this year. We got salami, hot dogs, mozzarella, eggplant salad, and veggie kugel, not to mention a great price on bagged salads. All had good hechsherim.

flowerpower

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 8:21 pm
The fudge brownie and apple crumb were very good-they both tasted chomezdig.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 8:40 pm
flowerpower wrote:
The fudge brownie and apple crumb were very good-they both tasted chomezdig.

Which recipes flowerpower? Can you share?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 8:51 pm
The brownie from the pesach recipes-I bumped it up. The apple crumb is already stored with the recipe books in the pesach bins.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Apr 08 2010, 9:26 pm
flowerpower wrote:
The brownie from the pesach recipes-I bumped it up. The apple crumb is already stored with the recipe books in the pesach bins.

The brownie recipe from KBD?

sarahd

Post Sat, Apr 10 2010, 5:47 pm
Major flop: The dessert for the seudah we had ten guests for. Lesson for the future: Try out your wonderful inspirations before YT morning. Even if you're really tired the evening before.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 11:00 am
anyone ?

flowerpower

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 11:02 am
The brownie was a huge hit-made it five times as well as the cookies-nut, egg whites, and sugar... lemon italian ices was pretty good too. The gefilte fish also came out soft and juicy.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 12:51 pm
brownies, blondies, and almond cookies were delicious as usual
chocolate cake and marble cake were not so

duck sauce with meatloaf and sweet potatoes, basil turkey burgers and french fried chips, ginger teriyaki sauce with garlic marinated roast beef, pickled tongue (finally found a good butcher for that!), creamy mashed potatoes, zucchini spaghetti salad, poached chicken and pesto, sweet potato salad, chicken soup, egg lokshen, zucchini soup, cole slaw, kirby salad, regular and carp gefilte from fish store (do not buy A&B!), poached salmon, were all great BH

note to self: use very little salt for hot dogs and potatoes on erev yom tov! and less salt in stovetop burgers than in oven baked burgers

buy an extra box of matzas that are thicker than our regular delishes matzos for lechem mishna, since the ones we like break too easily

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Apr 24 2011, 1:21 pm
ra_mom wrote:

regular and carp gefilte from fish store (do not buy A&B!)

what's wrong with a and b ?

ra_mom wrote:

ginger teriyaki sauce

did you make the ginger teriyaki sauce or buy it ?

ra_mom wrote:

duck sauce with meatloaf and sweet potatoes
basil turkey burgers
ginger teriyaki sauce with garlic marinated roast beef
creamy mashed potatoes
zucchini spaghetti salad

Can you post recipes for these mouth-watering sounding dishes ? Pretty please ? (It doesn't have to be today.)
Page 6 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics