Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach Hits and Misses
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

grin

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 4:02 am
Hannah! wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
we don't eat certain of the simonim from the pesach karyreh erev pesach and the first day of yomtov - apples, walnuts, and maror.

We = Jews, or We = Lubavitchers?

Thank you for clarifying.

it's brought in the Lubavich Sefer Minhagim. (don't know if there's another source.)

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 4:32 am
I learned how to make a simple yet delish Pesach Cooki from my sil.

100 grams ground almonds
90 grams sugar
2 egg yolks.
bake for 20 minutes.

Incredibly easy to make and delicious!

miriamnechama

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 4:59 am
baiscaly fine... I stuck to my brownies but another cake I did ended in the garbage.

my mils charoses came out better with dates and almonds as apposed to walnuts.

oh and teh last days I found out that the ketchup I was using was kitnios...I'll no for next year...

amother

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 5:20 am
Yeah. I found out I was using kityitot mayonaise. I don't know how I missed that. Crying

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 5:47 am
Next year, don't plug in two platas and a crockpot in the kitchen - it will short the house out (which it did shabbos morning of first days!) - Totally embarrassing - had to have the non-Jew next door turn it all back on once yontif started!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 7:20 am
grin wrote:
Hannah! wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
we don't eat certain of the simonim from the pesach karyreh erev pesach and the first day of yomtov - apples, walnuts, and maror.

We = Jews, or We = Lubavitchers?

Thank you for clarifying.

it's brought in the Lubavich Sefer Minhagim. (don't know if there's another source.)

It's not just Lub who are strict. As kids we also were; and I grew up ....uh......Conservative.

mimivan

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 7:36 am
I had the right idea cleaning the kitchen early...but we should have done shopping early (that is what drove us nuts Erev Pesach) and there are some items I should buy well ahead of Pesach and reserve for the Chag, because the financial strain around that time can cause me to think "I don't need this", try to do without it, and be miserable.

I also should have had the other rooms done before starting the kitchen...

I want to start bli neder a Pesach babysitting fund to pay for extra help with the kids in the push before Pesach (but how to find a babysitter on Erev Pesach?)

I would love to get a Pesach food processor iy'h next year so I don't have to drive myself crazy with all the grating and cutting by hand. Also I want to check out one of those new tomato peelers. Maybe I could actually have tomatoes next year?

Want to do more Pesach baking ahead of time. Fantasizing about having everything done on Erev Bedikat chametz and just cooking that day (Ahhhh! that would be the life!)

Want to study up on the chumras to learn the reason for them. I find if I don't get why we do something, I can feel a bit put out...if I know the reason, I can do it b'simcha...

Also, I want to reduce my workload before Pesach, if poss...use some vacation time...
The list goes on and on! But there is always room to improve.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 7:40 am
Definitely get a food processor and tomato peeler!

mimivan

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 7:44 am
I can't tell you how many cuts I had on my hands (and when using salt and lemon juice, boy did it hurt!) and my hands were also brownish from squeezing out juice from potatoes to make potato starch that was pretty useless anyway...
Oh well, live and learn.

I'll keep a kupah bli neder and label it "pesach food processor fund." Anyone care to donate ? LOL (just kidding..I'm sure there is better use for everyone's funds)

Hannah!

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 8:00 am
edit

Last edited by Hannah! on Thu, May 01 2008, 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

bashinda

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 8:14 am
chocolate moose wrote:
bashinda wrote:
Next year I will use 1/3 of an apple and cut up the rest into pieces and give to the kids.

how early are you making it? we don't eat aples erev pesach, remember.

oh good point. Okay so change that. I'll make an apple sauce. Smile

freidasima

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 11:29 am
You bet about the food processor. Mine broke erev pesach and our mazel was that we had another that we were about to give a friend as a wedding present...so we took it out and used it...but now we have to get a decent one for chometz, we used to use the same motor but with different bowls and cutters and everything, and now I put away the other one that we used (the former "present") for next Pesach but need one for chometz.

faigie

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 3:07 pm
I bought a small jar of charoset this year
but I usually make mine from pre made date glop...its precooked, so it makes life easier.. I can add to that chopped up sugared pecans and a splash of wine.(spices etc) the rest of the date stuff that I dont use can be eaten like jam.
but why bother, when I can but a small jar of it.

klotzkashe

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 3:29 pm
my orange cordial was a hit- next year ill make lemon cordial.
make about 2L of orange juice, add 2kg (yes im serious) of sugar. boil it up until it becomes syrupy (doesn't need to boil just get reallyhot) then strain through a cheesecloth or sieve. it is great diluted - 1:6 and laste dme the whole pesach

shepherds pie was a HITTTTT

Buy a Pesach BBQ (one that you can take on trips too) because you can make yummy non-processed marinades (orange cordial, lemon juice, olive oil, salt & Wine) and except for misisng ketchup when you eat steaks and chops, it's actually really really non-Pesach-tasting!!

I didn't use my mayonnaise much this year

my egg salad - I fried up like 12 onions erev yom tov and refridgerated them I addded them to grated hard boiled egg, with a bit of the oil and some salt - DELICIOUS!

I did the same thing with avocadoes.

chicken omelettes are yum

fry up veggies - onion, sweet potato, zuchinni, carrots, whatever else - put in baking pan, crack enough eggs to cover and bake - frittata - yum.

my family of four used 12 dozen eggs! (not that many guests)!!!!!!

potato kugels go in a snap!

thank G-d we had a really beautiful pesach - except that my husband was at work the netire chol hamoed and it was a bit lonely - we hardly saw each other for the 8days - he at shule / work and sleeping!

zigi

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 4:33 pm
you can get a smaller size food processor I have a 1 cup one. it takes longer but its better than doing it by hand

my tomato peeler was the best thing I bought this year it was really easy to use!

Squash

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 4:33 pm
this is dh's great idea: to pretend b'dikas chometz is the night before it really is.

I was so worn out by the time bedikas chometz came around and the day after, that just imagining us having a seder that night was a horror. so he decided (and hopefully with the proper planning it could work) that in the future, starting next year iyH, we will have the house ready for bedikas chometz one day earlier - and the biggie - he'll do his stuff that he usually only gets around to do during bedikas chometz on that same day, and then the next day finish everything else like the cooking/baking and bez"H have erev pesach to just straighten up the house and then THE ENTIRE FAMILY takes a nice loooooong nap to be mentchen for the seder and have a simchas yom tov.

mimivan

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 4:51 pm
Squash wrote:
this is dh's great idea: to pretend b'dikas chometz is the night before it really is.

I was so worn out by the time bedikas chometz came around and the day after, that just imagining us having a seder that night was a horror. so he decided (and hopefully with the proper planning it could work) that in the future, starting next year iyH, we will have the house ready for bedikas chometz one day earlier - and the biggie - he'll do his stuff that he usually only gets around to do during bedikas chometz on that same day, and then the next day finish everything else like the cooking/baking and bez"H have erev pesach to just straighten up the house and then THE ENTIRE FAMILY takes a nice loooooong nap to be mentchen for the seder and have a simchas yom tov.

Great plan, squash!

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 12:36 pm
bump for more lively discussion

debs123

Post Tue, Mar 31 2009, 1:44 pm
Thanx CM for bumping - it came so useful to me!!!

bashinda

Post Tue, Apr 07 2009, 7:10 pm
too busy for discussion.

this year I finally chopped that I can put my soup into large plastic tubs and save a lot of room in the fridge for YT. It only took me (almost) 8 years of marriage to figure this out. LOL

Oh and I had an All For the Boss moment. There's a scene where Rabbi Herman gets his wife a peeler, and before she had been using knives. She and a friend look at it and try to use it and then go back to the knives.

So DH got me this peeler that you hold with a finger. But the peeler goes vertical instead of horizontal so I tried it a couple of times and guess which peeler I used after that?

Well, I have a lot more peeling to do over the YT so I'll try to use it some more.
Page 2 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics