Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach Hits and Misses
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Apr 17 2009, 11:23 am
Remember how Pesachdik dishes and utencils were packed before unpacking.
Also pack those "to do" lists and menu notes. I found the one from the previous years, which served as a good reminder.

Don't keep ground spices for the next year as they really lose flavours quickly, esp cinnamon.

Use more dates, stock up on pesachdik dried figs to make haroseth next year.
(Too skimpy and substituted too much

Make one dessert that's nut-free for allergic guests.

Courgette/chedddar kugel was a hit, though courgette was a bit bitter when I first grated them.

Haroseth freezes well (mine are cooked).

Get enough chicken (pieces, not whole) before yomtov to last several days AFTER the chag.
(No shechitta, no fresh meat/poultry till next week!)

Turn the kitchen pesachdik a bit earlier. I need more than three nights to finish all cooking!

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 10:39 am
bump- before it's too late and I do the same wrong things again !!!

nicole81

Post Wed, Mar 10 2010, 5:09 pm
nicole81 wrote:
wow, everything was a hit this year except for the brownies (that I make every year and are usually good!) so that recipe will be deleted for next year, but I've got my menu set for next pesach.

one thing I learned is not to buy any pesach convenience items. last year dh bought mac and cheese and some other gross things that no one touched. this year he bought couscous which again we didn't use.

ok now I'm smacking myself in the head wishing I actually wrote down what I made last year!

I can barely remember anything. I do have a shopping list saved from last year though, so I'm going to try to crack the code and figure out my recipes!

Zus

Post Sat, Mar 13 2010, 4:51 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
Here's a good brownie recipe:

6 eggs
1 cup oil
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 cups potato starch
3/4 cups cocoa
1 envelope baking powder (I think that's 3 teaspoons).

They're moist and good.

How hot should the oven be and how long do they need to be baked for?

Zus

Post Sun, Mar 28 2010, 9:02 am
Bump.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 02 2010, 9:20 am
There was too much charoset, despite it was "for five". We used it as a dip for roast beef!

The Italki cake was much too "heavy" and margariny. Even dh couldn't eat it.

The leek patties would have been better with chopped leek instead of blended (but blended is much quicker lol).

Carrot kugel was too dry, but it was a good idea to glaze all the carrots instead of half as the recipe says.

The rest was BH delicious.

gryp

Post Fri, Apr 02 2010, 9:26 am
Hit: Dried apples and banana. The best Pesach treat.

Miss: Gefilte fish. $150 worth of fish, inedible. Better luck next year.

Zus

Post Fri, Apr 02 2010, 9:54 am
I hate my mitbal soup powder. Better to buy no soup powder at all than that.
For the BBQ: only chicken is just fine. Nobody really likes the meat anyway. The hotdogs for kids were a hit.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 02 2010, 9:57 am
GR wrote:
Hit: Dried apples and banana. The best Pesach treat.

Miss: Gefilte fish. $150 worth of fish, inedible. Better luck next year.

It's very hard to find edible gefilte fish. I've been advised to buy the Raskin rolls, but there is like one place only who sells them!

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Apr 02 2010, 10:40 am
I got the best jarred gefilte fish I've had all year! And it was super cheap.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 02 2010, 10:41 am
ChossidMom wrote:

wow. Here the jarred one (in jelly stuff) is nasty. Only a hardcore gefilte fish eater can like it. For the first time I tasted a GF I liked in a restaurant. The chief (a lady, nice change!) was nice enough to tell me what and where to buy and how to prepare it like hers!

Zus

Post Fri, Apr 02 2010, 10:47 am
ChossidMom wrote:

Which brand?
I usually get Taaman which is really good. I think I got that one again this year. I haven't opened it yet, that will happen tonight.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Apr 02 2010, 11:01 am
I bought A & B gef fish, Raskin's gef fish (both sweet and plain) and they all were delicious; but they have cottonseed oil and potato starch in them. I gotta get Benzy's fish next year - it's got more hiddurim. Since we don't use that stuff Pesach, why should it be allowed in the fish?

I had several packets of ground coffee which were vaccum sealed but old and tasted awful. Gotta get fresh ground coffee or instant.

Otherwise, so far, everything was delicious. The lettuce salads with dressing were a big hit, the pesto, pineapple chicken, Crispy Cookies and choc torte, too.

I try to make some foods that are similar to all year round, like the fruit salad - it's easier for the kids to wrap their head around. They don't enjoy too much change.

Buying fresh herbs was a huge taste advantage - everything cooked with it tasted much more alive, like the soup and salads.

New-to-us this year was also the sphaghetti squash which helped round out the soup course. I gotta try it with sauteed onions, peppers, and cheese.

I got a package of bottled water so we could take them on trips; big help. Also (flavored) seltzer, so we had a treat before yomtov - speaking of which, the BBQ sauce and tomato sauce we got were good. It was nice to make Shabbos HaGadol special at home, rather than eating at a restaurant.

Wasn't crazy about the price and quality of the baggy salads we bought for before - the iceberg was nothing special, and more than four dollars !!! Coleslaw mix was fine but nothing special.

I remembered to buy avocadoes ahead of time so they will be ready for the gebrokts meals on the last day.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Apr 02 2010, 11:05 am
I am not a gefilte fish conoisseur because I know nothing matches up to the real thing so I am not that picky when it comes to commercial GF. I remember having homemade GF just once in my life (my parents got adventurous one Pesach and made it from scratch) and I can still remember the yohch. You could not get me to touch any other GF jelly, but that time... mmmmmmm. GF is not a "must have" in my house. That having been said, I bought 4 jars of "Yesh" brand GF (regular price 14.90 nis but at least one jar was just 5 nis because I bought over 1000 nis worth of groceries there) and the fish is fine. Then again, in my opinion, *anything* slathered in Mom's (that's me) homemade chrain is delicious LOL

Isramom8

Post Fri, Apr 02 2010, 11:34 am
DeliDag and Ungar's loaf. We like it.

gryp

Post Fri, Apr 02 2010, 12:28 pm
Um, I as talking about 150 dollars worth of ground pike and whitefish, inedible.
Not $150 worth of ready-made gefilte fish.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 02 2010, 12:29 pm
What was the problem? You should go back and tell them.

gryp

Post Fri, Apr 02 2010, 12:31 pm
The problem was the recipe I followed. I learned a real lesson there.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Apr 02 2010, 12:32 pm
OY!!

MiamiMommy

Post Fri, Apr 02 2010, 12:39 pm
One hit so far this year:

Last year I made tons of patchke make ahead salads like vinaigrette, ratatouille, etc. They take up a lot of time in the kitchen!

This year I made more fresh salads as I was preparing for guests to come- they were a huge hit and I limited the time I spent in the kitchen erev yom tov. (I still made vinaigrette, though, I looooove it!)
Page 4 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics