Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Dressing inappropriately for weather
Previous  1  2  3  Next

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:18 am
One of my worst childhood memories, was being forced to wear this hideous mustard yellow wool sweater. It itched me like crazy, it had a tight turtle neck, and my mom used practically pin me down and shove it over my head.

Because the neck was so tight, I couldn't even get out of it on my own. I still feel a bit claustrophobic every time I think about it.

You are going to be SHOCKED by this. DD has always had a high metabolism and resting body temperature. When she was 3, my sensory seeking little girl discovered that walking barefoot in the snow was fun! Surprised She loved the way it crunched under her toes, and she loved the cool feeling. She always came inside when she'd had enough. Usually 10 to 15 minutes max.

Guess what? It didn't kill her, and she's none the worse for wear. She doesn't think I was negligent for not insisting she wear socks and boots, she thinks I'm awesome. I let her explore the world, and discover natural consequences (consequence being that when your feet get too cold, and you have to come inside to warm up, instead of continuing to play outside longer.)

She still hates socks and shoes, even when the tile floor is freezing cold.

Blessing1

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:28 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
One of my worst childhood memories, was being forced to wear this hideous mustard yellow wool sweater. It itched me like crazy, it had a tight turtle neck, and my mom used practically pin me down and shove it over my head.

Because the neck was so tight, I couldn't even get out of it on my own. I still feel a bit claustrophobic every time I think about it.

You are going to be SHOCKED by this. DD has always had a high metabolism and resting body temperature. When she was 3, my sensory seeking little girl discovered that walking barefoot in the snow was fun! Surprised She loved the way it crunched under her toes, and she loved the cool feeling. She always came inside when she'd had enough. Usually 10 to 15 minutes max.

Guess what? It didn't kill her, and she's none the worse for wear. She doesn't think I was negligent for not insisting she wear socks and boots, she thinks I'm awesome. I let her explore the world, and discover natural consequences (consequence being that when your feet get too cold, and you have to come inside to warm up, instead of continuing to play outside longer.)

She still hates socks and shoes, even when the tile floor is freezing cold.

Haha, walking barefoot in the snow actually is fun!! (For afew minutes.) I tried it!!
Kids walking to school are not cold, you get hot when walking. I always need to open my coat when walking my toddler to school. I remember when I was walking to school as a teen, my coat was open. As long as I wore good boots and gloves, I was warm.

amother
Latte

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:32 am
Some people really don't feel the cold. We know a family in which the only male who ever wears an overcoat in winter is the grandfather, and he didn't start till he was well into his 80s. The women wear coats same as anyone else. Evidently the males don't feel the cold.

amother
Sage

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:34 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I waited 20 minutes in the freezing cold today in my busy Brooklyn street.

The girls rushing by to go to school were not wearing hat, scarves and gloves.

Many young children were not dressed warm enough for this bitterly cold morning.

Why?

Why do 95% of upper elementary girls and high school girl not wear hats? It's insane!

My kids don’t wear hats because of sensory. Same with scarves. I’m lucky they wear coats.

chanatron1000

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:36 am
It's not dangerous to be out in the cold without protection for a short amount of time.

rachelli66

Post Tue, Jan 11 2022, 10:47 am
That's kids. Some will dress with hats, scarves. Some won't. I wouldn't make an issue over it. I think as we get older we take care of how we stay covered. As adults we worry about seeing the youngsters but they are more hardy than we think.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:18 am
When I was in HS, I would take a shower in the morning and not dry it. I would run to the bus stop with wet hair. My mother couldn’t stand it. I knew it was a stupid thing to do, but I did it anyway. It was so cool I was able to bend and crack my hair because it froze. Can't Believe It Surprised LOL

amother
Acacia

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:46 am
yo'ma wrote:
When I was in HS, I would take a shower in the morning and not dry it. I would run to the bus stop with wet hair. My mother couldn’t stand it. I knew it was a stupid thing to do, but I did it anyway. It was so cool I was able to bend and crack my hair because it froze. Can't Believe It Surprised LOL

Same! I grew up in Toronto!
Every morning my hair would freeze 😂

imasinger

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 7:50 am
Sensory issues is one thing. Peer pressure is another.

The amount of kids OP reports matches more with the second than the first.

Hopefully, that's the most dangerous the peer pressure is going to get. But I'd vote for some good parental talks on the subject.

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 8:00 am
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:
Same! I grew up in Toronto!
Every morning my hair would freeze 😂

My boys used to tell me that their peyos froze in the morning after the mikvah. Now they're in the same building and dont need to go outside to catch the bus.
I'm in Brooklyn

momomany

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 8:18 am

amother
Chambray

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 8:24 am
Blessing1 wrote:
I think that children are warmer than adults.

For me that was def true- I wore just a bug sweatshirt in highschool. Wasn’t sick more than others.

Now I feel like I’m freezing to death without being bundled (I’m 30)

Motherhood

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 8:33 am
I used to be that kid when I was in high school. I had a 25 minute walk to school, and while I started out my walk with a scarf, gloves, and ear muffs, they all came of slowly as I was brisk walking to school.

amother
Hunter

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 11:37 am
vanity. I refused to wear a hat in my preteen/teen years. I have thick frizzy hair and a hat only makes my hair stand up and out more. I couldn't deal with the static hat hair that was the result of wearing a hat. I would wear a hood though if it got too cold.

BrisketBoss

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 11:50 am
amother [ Hunter ] wrote:
vanity. I refused to wear a hat in my preteen/teen years. I have thick frizzy hair and a hat only makes my hair stand up and out more. I couldn't deal with the static hat hair that was the result of wearing a hat. I would wear a hood though if it got too cold.

I heard of a study that shows that people who dress with motives like this actually feel less cold. Really explains the outfits I saw some college girls wearing one freezing Halloween.

tigerwife

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 1:04 pm
I always see kids coming off the bus with their coat sling over their arm instead of actually wearing the coat. At least they bring the coats home!

YounginBP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 2:01 pm
sky wrote:
There were high school boys out hitching this morning at 7 am in 15 degree temp wearing only a scarf.
It’s crazy.

You don't know the Kichels, Baruch it is 18 degrees outside??

Common yeshiva boy issue.

I was just thinking that since beanies are in BH today's girls dress warmer. But then I didn't see any pre/teens at all when I was out so I couldn't finish validating myself. LOL

HonesttoGod

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:49 pm
tigerwife wrote:
I always see kids coming off the bus with their coat sling over their arm instead of actually wearing the coat. At least they bring the coats home!

My kids do that. Thing is the bus is warm so they get hot in their coats. Take them off. And then just run upstairs. They don’t really get freezing because the cold outside just cools them down from the bus.

GLUE

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:56 pm
If I remember correctly in Anchorage Alaska it is illegal to wear flip flops in the winter(one of my kids are into crazy laws)

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 5:04 pm
I don’t have a problem with older kids not wearing hats but I sure have a problem seeing little kids with short socks and skirts with purple legs.

Put on some tights or leggings on those poor freezing legs!

And I’m not talking about the older girls that choose their own clothes and refuse to dress according to the weather.

I’m talking about the helpless kids that the mothers dress this way in the name of fashion.

I see such kids in shul every week. Dresses oh so adorable with ankle/ knee socks along with freezing purple legs.

Have pity on these kids!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics