Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How long can you test positive for strep throat? With abx
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 6:53 pm
Dc had strep and finished abx about 10 days ago. Had sore throat and low fever and strep (rapid) positive. Can it still be detecting an earlier infection?

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 6:57 pm
No, you need a different antibiotic

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 6:59 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
No, you need a different antibiotic

It was a pretty strong one actually...

happy chick

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 7:01 pm
doesnt seem likely. after even the first dose, a strep test might show up negative.

more likely, the antibiotics didnt do its job.

amother
Clematis

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 7:02 pm
Nurse practitioner here. What antibiotic was it, and was the antibiotic completely finished per instructions? Yes for a positive culture and symptoms, you need to treat

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 7:04 pm
amother [ Clematis ] wrote:
Nurse practitioner here. What antibiotic was it, and was the antibiotic completely finished per instructions? Yes for a positive culture and symptoms, you need to treat

14 days of cefdinir
We just started augmentin

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 7:07 pm
Amother clematis-
It was only a positive rapid strep test we did at home. Couldn’t go to Dr yet to confirm.
But, dc also has bright red bottom and in tremendous pain.

GiGichai

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 7:08 pm
He might be getting it again from someone else in the house who does t have regular symptoms. (I would swab everyone else including parents and babies)

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 7:12 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Amother clematis-
It was only a positive rapid strep test we did at home. Couldn’t go to Dr yet to confirm.
Perianal might need a longer course

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 7:14 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
Perianal might need a longer course

The perianal issue started Wednesday or Thursday.
The last strep infection treated was throat

amother
Pink

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 7:16 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The perianal issue started Wednesday or Thursday.
The last strep infection treated was throat
perianal = perianal strep. Can you do a rectal swab? Seems like it may have travelled / spread / become systemic? Unless that’s a yeast infection ?

amother
Clematis

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 7:18 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Amother clematis-

Those are reliable when positive.

Augmentin is a good choice

amother
Alyssum

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 7:21 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:
perianal = perianal strep. Can you do a rectal swab? Seems like it may have travelled / spread / become systemic? Unless that’s a yeast infection ?

Swab it. Can very likely be strep. Or yeast from high abx. And can be both. One feeding off the other.
Always give a probiotic (a few hours apart) when giving abx to keep candida in check.
Refuah sheleima

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 7:22 pm
amother [ Pink ] wrote:

I actually did and it was positive too... that why I did the throat swab too- even though the sore throat was not bothering dc much.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 7:22 pm
Those are reliable when positive.

Augmentin is a good choice

Good to know!
Thanks so much

Eta one of the pediatricians weren’t too happy about us swabbing and said it may not be accurate... but I’m not shlepping 20 min each way and waiting at least an hr in waiting rm every time a kid has a sore throat.
We usually confirm positive results at pediatrician but not able to go out in this weather.

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 7:26 pm
Thanks all for your help!
I’m feeling better now about giving the abx. I wouldn’t not treat, but was feeling uneasy, that maybe it is a false positive....

amother
Clematis

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 7:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Thanks all for your help!
I’m feeling better now about giving the abx. I wouldn’t not treat, but was feeling uneasy, that maybe it is a false positive....

Those are super rare, and I would only consider not treating for a chronic carrier, never for someone with symptoms. You can also apply mupirocin (Bactroban) to the peri backside area. Refuah sheleimah!

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 7:30 pm
Those are super rare, and I would only consider not treating for a chronic carrier, never for someone with symptoms. You can also apply mupirocin (Bactroban) to the peri backside area. Refuah sheleimah!

I wish dc would let me. Screams bloody murder when I as much try to change diaper.
But I did have her sit in a bath with tea tree oil and I think it looks better now.

amother
Linen

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 7:33 pm
OP, where do you get home strep tests from? I didn't know they were sold over the counter.
I'm not feeling well but I don't feel up to going out on this weather. But if my husband can pick one up at a pharmacy that would be ideal. Then if it's positive ill do a virtual visit with my dr to get meds

amother
OP

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 7:36 pm
amother [ Linen ] wrote:
OP, where do you get home strep tests from? I didn't know they were sold over the counter.
I'm not feeling well but I don't feel up to going out on this weather. But if my husband can pick one up at a pharmacy that would be ideal. Then if it's positive ill do a virtual visit with my dr to get meds
I've bought them on amazon in the past, but now they require you to have a special account. Found them on a different site recently. Some require your medical license and or a script. I don’t know if pharmacies sell them.

We bought them because pediatrician wanted us to be able test at home due to specific circumstances. Definitely check with your Dr first if they would agree... (and like I said other doc was not happy about this).
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics