Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Mouse verse rat
1  2  Next

cherrylover

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 2:43 am
I see droppings all over how do I know if its a mouse or a rat?

happytobemom

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 2:46 am
No idea. Just wondering why it matters?
Sorry I'm no help Sad

cherrylover

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 2:48 am
happytobemom wrote:
No idea. Just wondering why it matters?
Sorry I'm no help Sad

Just curious. Do mice or rats just go away? I dont see it anywhere in the house.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 2:49 am
Rat dropping are larger.

If you hear scratching it is more likely to be a rat.

My sister scattered flour over the kitchen floor at night to catch footprints, and get an idea of the size. Rats are much larger than mice.

Either way, you want to get rid of it.

cherrylover

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 2:51 am
Elfrida wrote:
Rat dropping are larger.

If you hear scratching it is more likely to be a rat.

My sister scattered flour over the kitchen floor at night to catch footprints, and get an idea of the size. Rats are much larger than mice.

Either way, you want to get rid of it.

Why would she wanna see the footprints? To see where they are coming from?

happytobemom

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 2:53 am
cherrylover wrote:
Just curious. Do mice or rats just go away? I don't see it anywhere in the house.

I would call an exterminator. They go away but may come right back. As an exterminator told me, mice like dark spaces. So they hide but may run through a room to get to another entrance/exit.

momomany

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 2:53 am
mice droppings look like sprinkles. rat droppings look like mini human formed stool

and I win the grossest ever post on imamother award 🤢🤮

cherrylover

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 2:57 am
momomany wrote:
mice droppings look like sprinkles. rat droppings look like mini human formed stool

and I win the grossest ever post on imamother award 🤢🤮

Mine are bigger then sprinkles but small. My husband claims it was/is a bigger mouse… cause I dont see anything ripped or eaten

cherrylover

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 2:58 am
happytobemom wrote:
I would call an exterminator. They go away but may come right back. As an exterminator told me, mice like dark spaces. So they hide but may run through a room to get to another entrance/exit.

I will. But I saw droppings all over on beds n so on.. I cleaned up yesterday and didnt see more. Does that mean what? Sorry this is new to me 😑

momomany

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 3:03 am
try and close up all holes around pipes, baseboards etc. use steel wool or those canned expanding fillers. Call an exterminator ASAP

Spaghetti7

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 3:46 am
We had many mice and their droppings are not like sprinkles. We knew it was mice because we caught quite a number of them and they look different.
Set some traps.

momomany

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 3:47 am
Spaghetti7 wrote:
We had many mice and their droppings are not like sprinkles. We knew it was mice because we caught quite a number of them and they look different.
Set some traps.

what did the droppings look like

Living Princess

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 4:49 am
Mouse droppings look like blackish seeds. Mice hide very well, usually in warm places they can be in your fridge motor and places like that. Definitely put out traps and poison but only in places your kids can't get to like under your fridge and places like that. You can call an exterminator but that's what they will do. Seal up any holes even tiny ones.

Rats usually don't live in your house they'll come in and out. They can live in your roof and then you can hear them. Often they could be living in your garden.

Either one is very unhealthy they carry bacteria and stuff like that. Make sure not to touch droppings with your hand and disinfect the area.

You probably have mice. Rats are way bigger some even the size of small cats. They are also very hard to catch. You basically need to poison them and they die that way.

metacognizant

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 8:12 am
Get a cat. If the rodents go away, they were mice. If the cat turns up dead, you have rats.

Living Princess

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 8:20 am
metacognizant wrote:
Get a cat. If the rodents go away, they were mice. If the cat turns up dead, you have rats.

Cats can definitely kill rats, it's actually a great solution just keep in mind that cats sometimes bring their dead prey inside as "gifts" to their owners..

metacognizant

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 8:40 am
Living Princess wrote:
Cats can definitely kill rats, it's actually a great solution just keep in mind that cats sometimes bring their dead prey inside as "gifts" to their owners..

Maybe sometimes. I’ve had rats though (in a store, not my home BH), and they were bigger and scarier than my cat. I wouldn’t put her up against them. But she’s caught mice many times. She usually leaves them in the middle of the living room floor so I’m sure to see them. It’s how cats prove their usefulness.

happy chick

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 8:49 am
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078.....psc=1

these are the best traps. its very hard to close up all holes, mice can come in from the tiniest sliver of a space. the best you can do is try to catch as many as you can. just be super careful cuz theyre super sticky. if my kids even stepped on one with socks, we just took off the sock, and dumped it with the trap. same for toys. put them far under your couch, china closet, in the back of closets or behind the fridge/stove.

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 9:05 am
Mice do not just go away, but snap traps and bait them with PB or chocolate (says my exterminator) and close up all the holes with steel wool.

Elfrida

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 9:07 am
happy chick wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078YD8YRD/ref=twister_B07Y5LKTFW?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

these are the best traps. its very hard to close up all holes, mice can come in from the tiniest sliver of a space. the best you can do is try to catch as many as you can. just be super careful cuz theyre super sticky. if my kids even stepped on one with socks, we just took off the sock, and dumped it with the trap. same for toys. put them far under your couch, china closet, in the back of closets or behind the fridge/stove.

They are banned in a number of countries because they cause such a slow and difficult death to the animals.

happy chick

Post Sun, Feb 13 2022, 9:56 am
Elfrida wrote:
They are banned in a number of countries because they cause such a slow and difficult death to the animals.

I can definitely understand that, it is an awful way of catching them. but my main concern is keeping my family safe and keeping those little critters away from my home. if they werent so dumb, they would know to stay away from homes where cruel people, such as myself and my family, live.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics