Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Anyone thinking/thought about Waterbury or naugatuck?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 20 2022, 7:32 pm
I feel like the Lakewood area keeps expanding and it's crazy expensive. Waterbury has a nice level of frumkeit and the housing is much more affordable. Naugatuck sounds nice but not for families with older kids but 500k for a custom 2500 sq ft home is good. Or you can go for an older and bigger house in Waterbury itself for much cheaper.

There are gorgeous homes within the eruv that are a few blocks away from the community in the 200s. Anyone thinking of pioneering there? Or is it too risky?

I wonder if the community will continue to grow. They're opening an Amazon distribution center there so hopefully more jobs.

I wonder for everyone considering moving or who has moved, did u consider Waterbury? Why or why not? If you did and u nixed it, how come? And if u did move there, how are u liking it?

amother
Arcticblue

Post Sun, Feb 20 2022, 7:49 pm
My husband went to Yeshiva there and felt the area wasn't so safe (more like Brooklyn - it isn't so safe but people live with it and it isn't such a big deal). So while I've asked about it, he refuses because the Lakewood area is much safer, cleaner, and overall a nicer place to live (physically).

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 3:53 am
I don't think it's unsafe. I don't know about Lakewood, but I moved here from Brooklyn and it's way safer here. Forsure blue ridge and naugatuck which are developments. Even in the main part lots of people leave their doors unlocked during the day which noone does in Brooklyn. Kids play outside amd go to friends and shul themselves.
It's right next to a yucky neighborhood, but I think people don't mess around with the Jewish neighborhood because they know that over half the guys carry guns.
The last crime I heard of was someone having their car broken into, which seems to happen in Lakewood too.

amother
Arcticblue

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 4:48 am
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
I don't think it's unsafe. I don't know about Lakewood, but I moved here from Brooklyn and it's way safer here. Forsure blue ridge and naugatuck which are developments. Even in the main part lots of people leave their doors unlocked during the day which noone does in Brooklyn. Kids play outside amd go to friends and shul themselves.
It's right next to a yucky neighborhood, but I think people don't mess around with the Jewish neighborhood because they know that over half the guys carry guns.
The last crime I heard of was someone having their car broken into, which seems to happen in Lakewood too.

I'm from Brooklyn and we left our doors unlocked when we were home. Maybe where the community is, it is safe now. I was just saying that it didn't feel that way 10 years ago to my husband. And I would not want my husband to have to carry a gun to feel safe!

amother
Lime

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 7:01 am
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:

Whoa, is that really the case, that more than half of the frum men in Waterbury carry guns? I know there have been other gun threads here, but I can't imagine anywhere close to that % carrying guns in any other community in-town or out, even a place like Baltimore with lots of serious crime. How and why did this come to be the case in Waterbury?

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 7:04 am
Very relaxed gun laws in CT, at least for regular handguns.

avigail

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 7:09 am
I live in waterbury and am very happy..You're welcome to ask more questions or come visit us!
No, not most of the guys carry guns!!!
There are like 3 or 4 in the community who do but they're pretty vocal about it.
After the shooting in Pennsylvania a while back tthere was a lot of noise about increasing security here and a couple of guys took security training/ bought guns .
The frum neighborhood is quite safe..just don't wander into the wrong neighborhood. Same as Brooklyn, Baltimore etc

amother
Lightcyan

Post Mon, Feb 21 2022, 7:26 am
I live in waterbury and we are happy here. I have lived here for over 10 years and I have never had any incidents where I felt unsafe. There is no way that is the percentage of people that carry guns here. Like Avigail said, it’s probably a small handful.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 5:09 am
I was there for shabbos recently and met a lot of people, and no one mentioned guns!

Is it a growing community?

Those that live there- do you think it's a bad idea to buy outside of the area like between Avalon and overlook? Is anyone buying closer to YKW? Like 4-8 bedroom homes for 200s is so attractive.

How are job prospects?

Also someone told me BYW is picky and some girls have to go away for HS. I have a 5th grade girl and I'm wondering how hard is it to get in and what is BY looking for? I was surprised that they're not more of a community school.

Is the naugatuck mesivta similarly picky?

When people say it borders on a bad area, what does that mean? I noticed some bodegas and a liquor store and shabby houses between overlook and downtown.

I just can't get over how much house you get for the money compared to everywhere else frum people are moving these days.

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, Feb 22 2022, 5:57 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I was there for shabbos recently and met a lot of people, and no one mentioned guns!

Is it a growing community?

Those that live there- do you think it's a bad idea to buy outside of the area like between Avalon and overlook? Is anyone buying closer to YKW? Like 4-8 bedroom homes for 200s is so attractive.

How are job prospects?

Also someone told me BYW is picky and some girls have to go away for HS. I have a 5th grade girl and I'm wondering how hard is it to get in and what is BY looking for? I was surprised that they're not more of a community school.

Is the naugatuck mesivta similarly picky?

When people say it borders on a bad area, what does that mean? I noticed some bodegas and a liquor store and shabby houses between overlook and downtown.

I just can't get over how much house you get for the money compared to everywhere else frum people are moving these days.

Yes, it is growing. There are a number of people who are buying in the area between Overlook and Avalon -- Herkimer street, and the surrounding blocks. Not solid yet, but I think it will get there. Nice young crowd.
No one buys close to YKW; there are some nice homes but for the most part it's rundown.

BYW is not precisely picky -- I've never heard of a student being turned away from there. HOWEVER: the school has certain standards, and the principal makes it clear that the student must abide by the standards, for ex, tznius, smartphone, etc. Families that don't want to do that might choose to send away. Also, if a child has serious learning issues, the principal might accept her on condition that the parents hire a tutor to help her, as the school doesn't have the wherewithal to deal with serious learning differences.
As well, there are people who send away because they are looking for a more academic high school.

Naugatuck mesivta has no real connection to the community -- it is not a community school and the menahel makes it clear that YKW is not a feeder school. He takes a limited number of boys per year, though he will take more than he would from an outside school. Students have to be on a certain level of learning. At the moment, there's talk of starting a community mesivta as of Sept 2023, but nothing concrete.

In terms of bordering on a bad area -- it borders on a low income area, similar to the low income areas around Baltimore, Cleveland Heights, etc.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 5:12 pm
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
Yes, it is growing. There are a number of people who are buying in the area between Overlook and Avalon -- Herkimer street, and the surrounding blocks. Not solid yet, but I think it will get there. Nice young crowd.
No one buys close to YKW; there are some nice homes but for the most part it's rundown.

BYW is not precisely picky -- I've never heard of a student being turned away from there. HOWEVER: the school has certain standards, and the principal makes it clear that the student must abide by the standards, for ex, tznius, smartphone, etc. Families that don't want to do that might choose to send away. Also, if a child has serious learning issues, the principal might accept her on condition that the parents hire a tutor to help her, as the school doesn't have the wherewithal to deal with serious learning differences.
As well, there are people who send away because they are looking for a more academic high school.

Naugatuck mesivta has no real connection to the community -- it is not a community school and the menahel makes it clear that YKW is not a feeder school. He takes a limited number of boys per year, though he will take more than he would from an outside school. Students have to be on a certain level of learning. At the moment, there's talk of starting a community mesivta as of Sept 2023, but nothing concrete.

In terms of bordering on a bad area -- it borders on a low income area, similar to the low income areas around Baltimore, Cleveland Heights, etc.

Thank you, very helpful!

What's the bad area? Is downtown considered bad? Willow Plaza?
Been keeping my eye on Zillow and right now there are only 2 single fam homes for sale. One is crazy expensive on Fiske, and the other is $365k on willow and Roseland which aiui is a block from Willow Plaza but on Google Earth looks like a nice block!

Anyone else looking, today a 2 family came on the market for 280k on Farmington.

amother
Leaf

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 5:24 pm
Roseland and willow is not a good corner.
You wont find a house on Zillow
I recommend renting for a bit and then buying, alot of sales are word of mouth

amother
Lightcyan

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 6:21 am
You can also speak to brokers in the community who know about houses before they go on the market and then get sold.

amother
Leaf

Post Thu, Feb 24 2022, 6:35 am
amother [ Lightcyan ] wrote:
You can also speak to brokers in the community who know about houses before they go on the market and then get sold.

Very true!
But I also think there is a benefit to renting for a while because then you can buy in the area that makes most sense for u....

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 7:20 pm
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
Roseland and willow is not a good corner.
You wont find a house on Zillow
I recommend renting for a bit and then buying, alot of sales are word of mouth

So is there an issue with this house? It's a frum broker and it's reasonably priced and it's on Zillow.
https://www.zillow.com/homedet.....zpid/

Saw a couple of others recently but they're pending or under contract

And another one on Fiske for less than 300,000.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 4:40 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So is there an issue with this house? It's a frum broker and it's reasonably priced and it's on Zillow.

Saw a couple of others recently but they're pending or under contract

And another one on Fiske for less than 300,000.

Bump, anything wrong with these aside from the age? I've been there a number of times and I still don't understand why ppl see certain areas as problematic.

amother
Leaf

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 4:46 pm
Nothing wrong. Those areas are slowly being moved into.
But they are still mostly non Jewish areas. Kenilworth isn't bad because it runs into Columbia Boulevard where there are many families. However, Fiske (even though people are moving there) is reachable only by crossing willow, which on one end is icky (not a safe area) and on the other end a busy street.
You REALLY need to come a look around. Spend some time here.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 5:05 pm
amother [ Leaf ] wrote:
Nothing wrong. Those areas are slowly being moved into.
But they are still mostly non Jewish areas. Kenilworth isn't bad because it runs into Columbia Boulevard where there are many families. However, Fiske (even though people are moving there) is reachable only by crossing willow, which on one end is icky (not a safe area) and on the other end a busy street.
You REALLY need to come a look around. Spend some time here.

Lol I have. Willow didn't seem too busy by demorest, Fleming, Kenilworth, etc and I kind of liked that the houses were bigger there. But people keep saying things like are you sure you're ok with the area??? Everything else that was available on the frummer blocks was small, ick, or too expensive. Don't get me wrong that Fiske house seems crazy expensive to me too.

It's a shame that the area between the school and the frum neighborhood hasn't filled up. Such deals to be found. Do you know if anyone is pioneering in that no direction? Or buying for rentals? An absolute well kept mansion just went for about 400 there.

amother
Oleander

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 5:07 pm
For those of you who live there or recently moved there, how out of town is it? We are a young kollel family and we are considering our options. We specifically do not want in town.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Sun, Mar 27 2022, 6:52 pm
OP, why don’t you check out blue ridge ?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating