Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Am I a mean mom

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 4:19 pm
For tossing toys my kids never play with but without getting their permission? Ages 5 and 8. I know if I ask them they’ll want to keep everything but some toys they never ever play with (they stick to basics like magnatiles Lego etc)

amother
Mayflower

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 4:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
For tossing toys my kids never play with but without getting their permission? Ages 5 and 8. I know if I ask them they’ll want to keep everything but some toys they never ever play with (they stick to basics like magnatiles Lego etc)

I test the waters first. I move the toys into a hiding place and then wait for some time to pass. If they haven't asked for it, or remembered that it existed, I toss (or give away).

amother
Rose

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 4:29 pm
No you’re not

amother
Forestgreen

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 4:29 pm
Nothing mean about that. I donate instead of toss

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 4:30 pm
amother [ Forestgreen ] wrote:
Nothing mean about that. I donate instead of toss

It’s really hard to find a place to accept these items but I’d love to ideally

SuperWify

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 4:35 pm
I do that.. find a giveaway WhatsApp group and post there. People will take it for free!

amother
Stoneblue

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 4:58 pm
amother [ Mayflower ] wrote:
I test the waters first. I move the toys into a hiding place and then wait for some time to pass. If they haven't asked for it, or remembered that it existed, I toss (or give away).

Same. I do this with their artwork, projects, and prizes too.

amother
Azalea

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 5:16 pm
I'm not calling you a mean mother but just wondering if you've ever tried doing it "with them".

that's what I do. yes it takes time but I feel like it also teaches them important skills of getting rid of stuff and I've seen how they improve over time my 7 year old is able to do it with me even though she used to have a hard time. it's a muscle so while at first it might feel like they want to keep everything with time you'll see it won't be like that. she doesn't want to be bothered cleaning up her toys so she'll tell me, you know what that game isn't worth cleaning up you can get rid of it. I see it even with my 3 year old honestly. she'll tell me she doesn't want toys and this is the kid who at first made me keep every scrap from school.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 5:40 pm
amother [ Azalea ] wrote:
I'm not calling you a mean mother but just wondering if you've ever tried doing it "with them".

that's what I do. yes it takes time but I feel like it also teaches them important skills of getting rid of stuff and I've seen how they improve over time my 7 year old is able to do it with me even though she used to have a hard time. it's a muscle so while at first it might feel like they want to keep everything with time you'll see it won't be like that. she doesn't want to be bothered cleaning up her toys so she'll tell me, you know what that game isn't worth cleaning up you can get rid of it. I see it even with my 3 year old honestly. she'll tell me she doesn't want toys and this is the kid who at first made me keep every scrap from school.

I do that with smaller toys and with projects.

AMothe

Post Wed, Feb 23 2022, 5:43 pm
amother [ Azalea ] wrote:

Wow that sounds so amazing! Thanks for sharing that perspective!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics