Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Boiler in bedroom

amother
OP

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 9:40 pm
Planning to do my basement and one bedroom was laid out by planner to have the boiler in it. I would think that would be dumb because of the noise boiler makes though it’s not really working out to be in another spot if I don’t want the bedrooms to be next to each other. Basically I’m asking if anyone has this and what do they do about the noise? And is it bad enough that I should rework basement plans to avoid this.

#BestBubby

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 9:43 pm
You can build a closet for the boiler in the bedroom.

I slept in a bedroom basement with a boiler, and I didn't hear any noise.

amother
Viola

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 9:46 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Planning to do my basement and one bedroom was laid out by planner to have the boiler in it. I would think that would be dumb because of the noise boiler makes though it’s not really working out to be in another spot if I don’t want the bedrooms to be next to each other. Basically I’m asking if anyone has this and what do they do about the noise? And is it bad enough that I should rework basement plans to avoid this.

Not only the noise, it could potentially be unhealthy!

amother
Cornsilk

Post Tue, Mar 01 2022, 9:54 pm
I don't think it's legal where I live. I would redo the plans sounds like a bad idea.

SuperWify

Post Wed, Mar 02 2022, 12:13 am
In one of the basement apartments I lived in there was a boiler in a closet in our room. It was annoying and loud though eventually we got used to it. If you can work it out outside the room that would be best.

amother
Mulberry

Post Wed, Mar 02 2022, 2:21 am
We have a bedroom upstairs with the cylinder in it. Seems fine.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Mar 02 2022, 3:50 am
I wouldn’t like sleeping there at all.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Mar 02 2022, 4:27 am
So legally it’s fine as long as it’s sealed off in a closet. I’m more nervous there will be noise every time it starts up and ignites.

amother
Chartreuse

Post Wed, Mar 02 2022, 4:52 am
I wouldn’t. See where you can move the bedroom

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Mar 02 2022, 5:24 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:
So legally it’s fine as long as it’s sealed off in a closet. I’m more nervous there will be noise every time it starts up and ignites.

If I would be your guest it would bother me very much

Rubber Ducky

Post Wed, Mar 02 2022, 5:42 am
I do kitchen and space planning professionally — maybe I planned your basement? — and I don't put furnaces in basement bedrooms (in a ventilated closet) unless there is no other way to go while still meeting your requests.

You have limited options. You say you can avoid the problem if you put 2 bedrooms next to each other and there is not room for a closet in between.

1) You can do the in-between closet anyway and have very narrow bedrooms.

2) You can double the wall between the bedrooms and use sound-deadening drywall.

3) You can give up on having 2 bedrooms there. Have one larger one and an office, exercise room, or storage for the other.

Or you can move the boiler.

amother
Blonde

Post Wed, Mar 02 2022, 5:56 am
I would sooner have bedrooms next to each other than a boiler in one.

That being said, if the closet is a full door, it won't be "in the room" any more than if that access was outside the room.

amother
Oatmeal

Post Wed, Mar 02 2022, 6:32 am
Having the boiler inside in the room in a cupboard isn't that different to being on the other side of the wall outside the room. Our boiler is directly under our bedroom and we sometimes hear it when it starts up, but it's not that loud that it ever bothers us.

amother
Firebrick

Post Wed, Mar 02 2022, 6:38 am
I think a moderately light sleeper would be woken up each time the boiler started up again.

One closet door a few feet away doesn't sound like much sound proofing to me--much less than it being on the floor below.

I would want to be informed of such accomodations before being hosted, and would probably prefer not to come. How I can be a pleasant guest if I am woken multiple times per night?

Also the safety issue (real or not) would freak me out to be honest.

I would much rather have bedrooms next to each other and just position the beds that they don't share the same wall.

amother
Calendula

Post Wed, Mar 02 2022, 8:11 am
My ds lives in an apt. with the boiler in a closet in the children's bedroom. It's not ideal but they live with it.

amother
Molasses

Post Wed, Mar 02 2022, 9:23 am
amother [ Calendula ] wrote:
My ds lives in an apt. with the boiler in a closet in the children's bedroom. It's not ideal but they live with it.

Op doesn’t plan on using it for herself. If it’s for herself then she could decide if she wants to deal with it. It sounds like she wants to use it for other people.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics