Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Proofreading
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Mar 13 2022, 11:35 pm
I'm looking into becoming a proofreader.

Any recommended courses?
Also would love any info on this profession if anyone has something to share.

Thanks!

MommyPhD

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 1:59 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Any recommended courses?

Thanks!

What you're likely looking for is to be a copyeditor. You can get certificates in copyediting and either work for companies or freelance.

Goldie613

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 5:32 am
MommyPhD wrote:
What you're likely looking for is to be a copyeditor. You can get certificates in copyediting and either work for companies or freelance.

Any idea what's involved in getting certified? How long it takes, what it costs, if there are different types that are valued differently...?

Thanks!

Goldie613

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 5:36 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

Any recommended courses?

Thanks!

Found these articles - maybe they would help?

https://www.indeed.com/career-.....eader

https://nybookeditors.com/2016.....ding/

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 8:13 am
I’m a professional editor, and I do proofreading and copy editing on the side.

There are course you can take, and online quizzes to see if you’d be good at it. It’s really not so much the everyday text that’s the issue—I bought a 5-inch-tall cactus vs my daughter has about four to five dolls vs My son is six feet tall—but also rules, like not starting sentences with like she/her/because/and, etc.

So unless you know a number of style books by heart—AP, Chicago—you will need to learn the basics in a course. Also, it depends on how stringent the outfits you want to proofread for are, so you can decide what’s best.

I didn’t proofread this paragraph! Good luck!

shaqued_almond

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 9:29 am
This might help:
https://blog.reedsy.com/freela.....ader/

doctorima

Post Mon, Mar 14 2022, 10:06 am
Suri Brand has been giving proofreading and copyediting classes for many years. Her email is editor@brandnamepublishing.com.

amother
Brickred

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 4:45 am
vintagebknyc wrote:
I’m a professional editor, and I do proofreading and copy editing on the side.

There are course you can take, and online quizzes to see if you’d be good at it. It’s really not so much the everyday text that’s the issue—I bought a 5-inch-tall cactus vs my daughter has about four to five dolls vs My son is six feet tall—but also rules, like not starting sentences with like she/her/because/and, etc.

So unless you know a number of style books by heart—AP, Chicago—you will need to learn the basics in a course. Also, it depends on how stringent the outfits you want to proofread for are, so you can decide what’s best.

I didn’t proofread this paragraph! Good luck!

Can you direct me towards some online quizzes?

vintagebknyc

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 8:11 am
amother Brickred wrote:
Can you direct me towards some online quizzes?

You can just Google online proofreading & copy editing quizzes/tests

amother
Broom

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 8:21 am
About 10 years ago, I worked as a proofreader and copyeditor for a frum local publication. I got paid $20/hour. At this point in my life, I feel my time is worth more than that.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 9:11 am
I recently became a professional proofreader. I found an affordable course called Proofread Anywhere (by Caitlin Pyle), which had great reviews. I do recommend taking some sort of course, because although I knew I had a knack for it and thought I knew all there was to know, there were so many "rules" I learned from this course that I did not know before. It's frustrating to me when I read published books and publications that were proofread but the proofreaders did not catch the bulk of errors because they did not know certain rules. (Obviously, people are human, and some errors are expected, but certain errors come up too often to be a mistake.) I think every single proofreader, even experienced ones, should take a proofreading course.

Once I completed the course and earned a certificate, I reached out to publishers with a resume, and one of them got back to me and hired me. Just note, the pay is very low but extremely satisfying and fulfilling. Once I gain some more experience, I may choose to do some editing.

You can set up a LinkedIn profile, but I did not.
I joined Soferet, but so far, I have not gotten any leads there.

I'd consider setting up an anonymous email if you'd like to ask me more questions or about my experience.

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 9:55 am
amother Denim wrote:
I recently became a professional proofreader. I found an affordable course called Proofread Anywhere (by Caitlin Pyle), which had great reviews. I do recommend taking some sort of course, because although I knew I had a knack for it and thought I knew all there was to know, there were so many "rules" I learned from this course that I did not know before. It's frustrating to me when I read published books and publications that were proofread but the proofreaders did not catch the bulk of errors because they did not know certain rules. (Obviously, people are human, and some errors are expected, but certain errors come up too often to be a mistake.) I think every single proofreader, even experienced ones, should take a proofreading course.

Once I completed the course and earned a certificate, I reached out to publishers with a resume, and one of them got back to me and hired me. Just note, the pay is very low but extremely satisfying and fulfilling. Once I gain some more experience, I may choose to do some editing.

You can set up a LinkedIn profile, but I did not.
I joined Soferet, but so far, I have not gotten any leads there.

I'd consider setting up an anonymous email if you'd like to ask me more questions or about my experience.

(With apologies to OP)
Amother Denim,
I’ve been looking into various proofreading/copy editing course options, including the one you mentioned; so it’s good to hear your feedback.
When you say the pay is very low-could you be specific?
I’m wondering if the pay range per hour I’ve found when Googling, is actually what’s being offered; from your experience.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 9:59 am
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
(With apologies to OP)
Amother Denim,
I’ve been looking into various proofreading/copy editing course options, including the one you mentioned; so it’s good to hear your feedback.
When you say the pay is very low-could you be specific?
I’m wondering if the pay range per hour I’ve found when Googling, is actually what’s being offered; from your experience.

I started out with less but am now asking $30/hour.
What pay range did you find on Google?

amother
Bluebonnet

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 10:00 am
amother Denim wrote:
I started out with less but am now asking $30/hour.
What pay range did you find on Google?

Thanks!

ETA: $30 is definitely higher than average for beginners (based on my Google search), but within the norm, and can go higher, for experienced proofreaders.

amother
Denim

Post Sun, Jul 23 2023, 10:07 am
amother Bluebonnet wrote:
Thanks!

ETA: $30 is definitely higher than average for beginners (based on my Google search), but within the norm, and can go higher, for experienced proofreaders.

Thank you!

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 5:33 pm
Amother Denim thank you for that post! I looked into it and I’m strongly considering the Proofread Anywhere program. Vintagebknyc are you familiar with the program?

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 6:04 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
Amother Denim thank you for that post! I looked into it and I’m strongly considering the Proofread Anywhere program. Vintagebknyc are you familiar with the program?

I know nothing about the program, sorry.

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 6:08 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
I know nothing about the program, sorry.

Okay thanks.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 7:27 pm
isn't AI doing most of that now? I'm not sure it's a growing field

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 7:28 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
Okay thanks.

I was very happy with the course. Very thorough and great practice.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics