Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Proofreading
Previous  1  2

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 4:34 pm
amother Denim wrote:
I was very happy with the course. Very thorough and great practice.

Thank you! It seems like the course addresses AI and how it will affect proofreaders. Did it also help you in looking for jobs and/or setting up your own business?

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 6:02 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
Thank you! It seems like the course addresses AI and how it will affect proofreaders. Did it also help you in looking for jobs and/or setting up your own business?

AI wasn't really relevant a year/year and a half ago when I took the course, but I guess they're updated the course then.

It gives you tips on how to set yourself up in business, but I wasn't interested in setting up a LinkedIn account or getting work through Fiver or Upworks. They do have a Facebook group where you can ask proofreading questions, and another group that you can join once you pass the course (if you choose to do the certificate track), for marketing and work-related questions and support.

I think the course is great and well-rounded, but be aware that the course does not include all the possible grammar rules. It gives a brief summary of many rules and directs you to books and other resources to brush up on grammar. There are also tons of quizzes and reviews to practice so that you get an idea of what you still have to learn or practice. By the time you complete the course and final exam (the exam, if you choose to go that route, but I'm glad I did), you will have a full, thorough proofreading education. I would suggest, time permitting, waiting for Proofread Anywhere to offer a discount. At times they offer as much as 50% or even 60% off.

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 6:26 pm
amother Denim wrote:
AI wasn't really relevant a year/year and a half ago when I took the course, but I guess they're updated the course then.

It gives you tips on how to set yourself up in business, but I wasn't interested in setting up a LinkedIn account or getting work through Fiver or Upworks. They do have a Facebook group where you can ask proofreading questions, and another group that you can join once you pass the course (if you choose to do the certificate track), for marketing and work-related questions and support.

I think the course is great and well-rounded, but be aware that the course does not include all the possible grammar rules. It gives a brief summary of many rules and directs you to books and other resources to brush up on grammar. There are also tons of quizzes and reviews to practice so that you get an idea of what you still have to learn or practice. By the time you complete the course and final exam (the exam, if you choose to go that route, but I'm glad I did), you will have a full, thorough proofreading education. I would suggest, time permitting, waiting for Proofread Anywhere to offer a discount. At times they offer as much as 50% or even 60% off.

Thanks so much for all of this helpful information! I can’t decide whether or not to start now or after Sukkos. If they occasionally discount the course I think I’ll wait till that happens to begin.

amother
Denim

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 6:31 pm
amother Pansy wrote:
Thanks so much for all of this helpful information! I can’t decide whether or not to start now or after Sukkos. If they occasionally discount the course I think I’ll wait till that happens to begin.

They definitely used to occasionally offer discounts. I hope they still do. I think the best discount is around Black Friday.

Also, I think I've said this before - just know that proofreading is really not a well-paying field. Do it if you have a natural aptitude and passion, not if you're looking to get rich. I absolutely love it, but it's just pocket change.

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Jul 24 2023, 6:36 pm
I have a part time job that I love. I plan on starting this as a side job because I think I’ll enjoy it. I’d love to get experience and build up a freelance business. Of course I hope to be successful, but I won’t be relying on this as my main income.

amother
Navy

Post Tue, Jan 30 2024, 9:39 pm
Amother Pansy, did you take the course? Was it worthwhile?
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics