Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
Need tips to get my son to eat

RedVines

Post Sun, Nov 06 2005, 12:05 pm
My son (who is 3 ka"h) just wont eat what I give him. I ask him first, give him choices, make what he likes etc. But it seems like all he wants is cookies etc. so I stopped baking!!!!! so he would get hungry.

My question is this: my husband thinks I am a bit nuts in this department, AM I???? Question Should I lay off>? any suggestions?

1stimer

Post Sun, Nov 06 2005, 1:41 pm
Unless you know that you're son has a medical problem that he is not gaining weight/growing, relax. Experts say children will eat when they are hungry. Just keep offering him healthy choices.

Tefila

Post Sun, Nov 06 2005, 1:43 pm
Make a healthy cookie, decorate a sandwich and make it healthy mix healthy and sweet cereals, gradually decreasing the sweet cereal. Eat the same time he does Exclamation this is what has worked for my very picky dd of 3yrs too Smile

Rochel Leah

Post Sun, Nov 06 2005, 1:54 pm
1stimer wrote:
Unless you know that you're son has a medical problem that he is not gaining weight/growing, relax. Experts say children will eat when they are hungry. Just keep offering him healthy choices.

Totally agree with you !!

My son also is picky eater and would choose cookies over healthy food. I found though that he eats much better socially. supper we always eat together now because of that and at day care he eats ok too. I find he eats better when I don't make an issue out of it.

I am sure you aren't nuts and like all jewish mothers we want our children to eat.you just need to be careful that it doesnt become a control issue.

I was speakin to a mom of many kids ky'h and this topic came off, she said her son was the most pickiest of eaters and also hardly ate, he is 15 years old now and you would never know he was like that as a
toddler.

Purple Hug Bunny

Post Sat, Nov 19 2005, 11:05 pm
Tell him he can have ONE cookie after he finishes the other food.

willow

Post Sun, Nov 20 2005, 10:02 am
Maybe let him have a choice of healthy foods to eat and let him pick one so that he feels like its his choice?

JEWISHMAMA

Post Mon, Nov 21 2005, 5:16 am
make sure he´s still growing and if he is don´t worry he´ll eat when he´s hungry.
Also u could try making his food on his plate look like a face ie spaguetti as hair meatballs as eyes and nose and sauce as a mouth. worked for me

tzivi

Post Mon, Nov 21 2005, 5:20 am
Most children will eat when they are hungry. Is his weight ok?
I find that the more I fuss, the more he refuses to eat, I believe that it is attention seeking usually. The best thing IMHO is to give him attention in other ways and try to fuss less with the food situation. Children are smarter than we give them credit for and they WILL eat when they get hungry enough!

happyone

Post Mon, Nov 21 2005, 8:36 am
There is a difference between picky eating and loss of apetite. I find that with a picky eater, the more you argue with your child the more he/she will resist. It becomes a power struggle. If your child is a healthy weight, and is thriving all around, I would let go. A healthy child will not just starve. They like to test you and most kids win.
check with your pediatrician to make sure he's not losing weight, lethargic, and healthy, cuz that might be a signal that he isnt eating for a reason.
good luck. It's frustrating, but most are stages that pass with time.

happyone Smile

1stimer

Post Mon, Nov 21 2005, 10:54 am
Btw, does the same apply to drinking? I.e. will a child if offered drinks drink when he is thirsty, or do I have to worry about whether he is drinking enough?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers