Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Kitchen designers, please help?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 8:03 am
I am creating one large kitchen out of my small kitchen and dinette space. Since I won't have a dinette but don't want meals in the dining room I wondered. Could I possibly create a long Island in the center to eat at? How can it be used to eat at but also give me storage/drawer space? Could it be done?? I need like 9 spaces...
Thanks so much for your time. All tips and advice appreciated!

amother
Mayflower

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 8:10 am
How long can you Island be?

amother
Mayflower

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 8:19 am
What I would suggest, if you have the space is, at one end of the island, I would attach a table height counter slightly wider than the island and wraps around the island slightly. Lol at Instagram or houzz.com for pics and ideas.
Dosage for 9 seats is a lot though. This above look I've seen with about 5-6 seats. You should consider using your dining room for family meals where everyone is present.

Rubber Ducky

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 8:21 am
Each person minimally needs about 20" counter frontage — that's 15 feet of counter right there. What are the dimensions of the combined space?

Amarante

Post Thu, Mar 24 2022, 10:43 am
Beyond people needing counter space to physically eat you also have to consider whether the island itself is possible or will it create an obstruction.

You need space between the island and the walls because otherwise how would you function.

You also need to be able to move freely between the work triangle without having to go around the island. In other words, if you are at the sink how do you get to the stove and refrigerator. A functional kitchen always has a work triangle that enables a minimum number of steps between these three elements - sink, refrigerator/storage and stove/oven.

Also if you have chairs will the aisles be obstructed - again this relates to how much room there is between the island and the walls of the kitchen.

It may not be relevant but counter height seating is not comfortable for many people versus being able to sit at a standard table height.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics