Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
No pyrex- what type real pans for saucy chicken legs

pearled

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 4:47 pm
Want to purchase real pans for saucy type foods. Prefer no pyrex due to shattering concerns. Any metal pan recommendations? Thank you!

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 4:55 pm
How much do you plan to make? I assume this is for the oven because Pyrex never goes on a stove. An advantage of a metal pan is that most protein needs to be seared first and then put in the oven for optimum flavor and you can do that with a metal pan.

So some braises I start with a good stainless pan on the stove that has oven proof handles so it can go in the oven to finish.

Some foods I just cook in a roasting pan because it is essentially roasted with minimal sauce and isn't being braised.

Is an 11" x 13" pan big enough.

How much do you want to spend. In general you don't need such expensive pans for roasting if price is a consideration because the oven air conveys the heat. That is different than cooking on the stove top where you need a pan which conducts heat evenly including up the sides.

You can get a LeCreuset of less costly enamel over cast iron and they are superb for braising - if that is what you mean by saucy. These are great but VERY heavy if that is a consideration.

I have a relatively inexpensive metal 11" x 13" pan by Cuisinart

I also have a large roasting pan made of anodized aluminum by Calphalon. It is relatively non-stick but I generally line the bottom with tin foil just to make things easier.

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 4:59 pm
Buy a roaster.
https://www.amazon.com/Granite.....r=8-8

ETA: Maybe not the best for sticky sauces.

pearled

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 7:21 pm
Thank you so much! I am seeing online alot of pans have non stick coatings. Do these generally start peeling over time?.

Girl@Heart

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 7:35 pm
Get a cast iron pan. (Not seasoned, they have kashrus issues)

Amarante

Post Wed, Apr 06 2022, 8:16 pm
pearled wrote:
Thank you so much! I am seeing online alot of pans have non stick coatings. Do these generally start peeling over time?.

Do not get a nonstick pan for cooking. They should only be used for baking like a Bundt pan and you need one for pancakes or crepes.

The anodized aluminum roasting pans by Caphalon are fairly nonstick and pans are easy to clean if you let them soak in hot water for a bit or a sturdy pan can even be put on the stove with some water and then boil the water and it comes clean. I do line pans with heavy duty aluminum if I am cooking something that has a sticky sauce because there is honey or signer but not generally for just roasting or something with a tomato sauce but you can line any pan with heavy aluminum foil and it essentially eliminates having to clean them except to use detergent to get off sny residual bread.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics